What's new

Question about movie series with main actor change (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
With the new reissued DVDs due, I was thinking about the Jack Ryan movies. For those flicks, the lead character was played by a different actor in the second film - it went from Alec Baldwin to Harrison Ford. Can anyone come up with another movie series that changed the performer who played the main character so quickly? Batman lost Michael Keaton after the second flick, but I can't think of another series that used someone else after only one movie...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Hannibal Lecter series. Manhunter was some guy, then Hopkins for the next 2 (then they fixed their continuity with Red Dragon)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Luis Buñuel used two different actresses to play the same part in the same movie: That Obscure Object of Desire.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
In the same series Jeff mentioned, the obvious switch is the role of Clarice Starling between Silence and Hannibal (since most don't consider Manhunter to be part of the series with the more recent three).

Brad Hood

Agent
The Crow series. Brandon Lee was killed during the filming of the original. I think they even had to finish the first film with a double.

Granted Brandon Lee plays Eric Draven while Vincent Perez plays Ashe Corven in the sequel, but they are still both "The Crow." I assume they would have used Lee for a sequel if they could have.

Brad

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Harry Potter will soon fall under this category with the replacement of the late Richard Harris for Dumbledore

As will Terminator 3 with the change of actor for John Connor

Don't forget Back to the Future, with Elizibeth Shue taking over the role of Jennifer. Also Mortal Kombat 2 was pretty much a complete recast.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure Dumbledore was the main character in Harry Potter. Though Daniel Radcliffe (is that the kid's name?) said he doesn't want to do that many HP movies.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
In the Crow series, they had Mark Dacascos play Eric Draven in Crow: Stariway to Heaven. In Friendfs, Carol was played by Anita Barone in her first appearance and Jane Sibbert in every subsequent appearance.

In the Back to the Future series, George was played by Crispin Glover the the first movie and Jeffrey Wiseman in the next 2. This may not count as the largely used footage from part 1 (with Crispin) in number 2 and onlyu filled in with Jeffrey where they had to. (The 1985 scenes.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Jack Ryan went from Alec Baldwin to Harrison Ford to Ben Affleck.
That's what I said in my original post - that's the main reason I posted in the first place, to find out if any OTHER series changed leads so quickly.

Not sure I made the goal of my question clear. I'm not simply asking for movies in which various actors changed - I can come up with plenty of those on my own. The replaced actor has to be THE LEAD, the acknowledged main character in the movie. Batman. Superman. James Bond. Luke Skywalker. Ripley. Marty McFly. I suppose Anakin Skywalker would fit from Menace to Clones, but that's not a case where the original actor could continue due to age issues. The other examples - John Connor, Marty's dad, Dumbledore, etc. - are interesting, but those roles were very much in the supporting domain.

Probably the best example raised here is the Clarice change between Lambs and Hannibal. Lecter himself wouldn't count because he most definitely wasn't the lead in Manhunter (and I refuse to consider it part of the same "series" as Lambs, Hannibal and Dragon anyway).

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Do cheesy 80s flicks count?

They switched Angels in between 1984's Angel and 1985's Avenging Angel. And a fairly noticeable change, at that.

Stop laughing at me. :frowning:

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
OK, then does it has to be a change of "initial" actor ??? As Lazenby (sp??, OHM Secret Service) only lasted one in the 007 fanchise, and I think Timothy Dalton did only 2???

Brad Hood

Agent
Kurt Russell plays Jack O'Neil in the original Stargate and Richard Dean Anderson takes over in Stargate SG-1. I guess it depends on whether you consider SG-1 a movie or just a pilot for a TV series.

Brad

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Stop laughing at me.>>

Angel's good ;)..
EMMANUELLE 1&2 with Sylvia Kristel, than countless others in the fanchise.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Luis Buñuel used two different actresses to play the same part in the same movie: That Obscure Object of Desire.
Interesting. I never saw the film and noted on IMDB that Buñuel claims the first actress quit, which forced the change. Doesn't technically qualify for my question since it wasn't a "series" of movies, but it's a cool footnote!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks