Question about movie music rights..............

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Declan, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I'm doing a documentry for the local museum. It's basically all old cine films from 1930's to 60's. I want to do an opening title sequence for it. The only snag is that the music I want to use is Thomas Newmans opening track to Road To Perdition. I dont know if the doc will be put on sale or if it will be a freebie handed out to people. So the question is about rights. Because it is such a very low key thing would I have to buy rights from dreamworks to use the track, I keep on hearing tracks from Gladiator and Signs on the local TV station to advertise certain programs, so I wonder how they get away with it, or do they buy the rights. I would be editing it down as well (the music that is) to fit a certain time frame. So would that have any bearing on it either. Sorry i'm not the best when it comes to this stuff..........I just leave it to the suits. [​IMG]

Anyway......... any advice on this will be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Broadcasting of music (new and prerecorded) on radio and tv stations is covered by contracts those outlets have with ASCAP and BMI, the main music licensing firms. Stations pay a yearly fee for unlimited use of pre-recorded music. Your use is different and would need to be cleared with DreamWorks or the label that released the soundtrack CD. Using music without permission is a violation of the copyright laws. Contact the company that released the CD and talk to them.

4. Declan

Declan Second Unit

thanks guys.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Don't email them, call them. Sorry I don't have a number, but if you can find someone with the LA Blue Book that'll have it