Question about dvdcoverart.com?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Will, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Chris Will

Chris Will Supporting Actor

Chris WIlliams
    For those of you who have downloaded some covers, what kind of paper did you use to print it out, what size and where did you buy it? I am having trouble find legal size paper that is a little thicker then ordinary paper. I have tried taping a small strip of paper to a sheet of 8.5 x 11 like the web site suggest but it doesn't print right. Lager size photo paper is expensive. If you use the web site's print out service, when they add shipping in, it cost $15. That is too much IMO. Any advice would help.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

For single disc cases, 8.5x11 glossy photo paper works fine in my Canon i450 printer. For multi-disc cases, I just purchase larger glossy photo paper and cut it down to size. I can usually find 11x17 paper onsale for less than $1 per sheet.

3. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

As an alternative, I offer the CopyMax (OfficeMax) route. $0.99 per cover, great quality, and they don't ask any questions. Kinko's said they couldn't help me out because the images were copyrighted, even after I explained they were custom-made.

I've had about 15 custom covers printed out so far at CopyMax and will continue using their service. [​IMG]

4. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Danny,

I have been tempted to try this, however how do you bring in the image to be printed?

CDR, compact flash or ?

Is it on a color laser?

Do you have to trim it up afterwards?

5. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

CD-RW, Colin. The covers print fine on an 8.5 x 11 sheet (make sure its borderless print). They have different weight and matte/gloss paper, so its just a matter of choosing one you like. My branch does use a color laserjet.

Definitely have to trim. Strangely enough, after I print out the covers at OfficeMax I walk across the street to Kinko's to use their paper cutter. [​IMG]

6. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

my experience is that since most photo printers are able to handle borderless prints, just tell the printer that you're using 8 1/2 x 14 paper, and your covers should print fine, up to double cases. I was attaching the strip of paper for a bit, but stopped once I realized that I didn't need it.

r

edited to say 8 1/2 by 14. sorry

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I've switched to ThinPaks which fit on 8.5x11, even on printers that can't print to the edge. Problem solved.

8. BillGo

BillGo Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a pack of A4 size glossy photo paper from Meritline.com which is perforated so you can just punch out the finished cover. 50 sheets for $17.49 plus shipping (and tax if you live in CA).

I print them out on my Canon i950 and they come out great. I do a print preview before printing and precisely adjust the image to align with the perforations. You lose a little bit of the image when you punch them out, however, so on some I use a scissors on some of the edges if any printed information would be lost.

The only problem is that the clear plastic of the case wants to stick to the glossy cover and looks kind of blotchy, but mostly on black and dark colors. (You can remove them without damaging anything.) Letting the covers dry out for a few days before inserting them alleviates the problem somewhat. I think it would be better if the paper were semi-gloss. However, they may not look as sharp or color-rich as they do on glossy paper.

9. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Matte paper is what I use. Especially I've all but converted two of my Warner Snappers.

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have printed many covers at two different kinko's with no copyright questions. some were made by me, some made by others, and some scans. good results too.

CJ

11. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I'm going to try the Kinko's route. But I'm trying to print a cover for a 4-disc case. Are there any issues with covers that big?

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It doesn't matter if they are custom made or not, unless you have obtained the legal rights to use all of the elements that make up the artwork, you are infringing on copyright, and in the case of logos, trademarks.

13. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

Mark - I'd make sure to use legal size paper for a 4-wide cover. Not sure what kind of paper (weight, gloss, matte) is available in that size.

I will be printing out a double wide cover soon here (Akira LE) and since its just a touch wider than 11", will be trying legal size as well.

Jeff - thats what the Kinko's guys said as well. But the OfficeMax crew have no problem, so "oh well" IMO.

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Chris, I just use normal 8.5x11 paper.

What I do is I use my Epson Glossy paper (looks better than matte-finish) and I gently tape a normal piece of paper to the back, with about a 2-3 inch overlap. Tell the printer it's on legal-sized paper, and make sure that the image is left-justified, so it'll start near the top of the glossy sheet. Works like a charm every time.

However, that only works for standard cases. If you get into double-wides and larger, you'll need to have larger paper on hand. [​IMG]

15. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I use regular full scap paper, unless it's an insert. If it's an insert then I use 8.5x11. [​IMG]

16. WillG

WillG Producer

What is the best way to print a cover, I cannot seem to adjust the printout to the right size. Whenever I try to resize (enlarge), the image just ends up getting cropped.

17. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

Why would you need to resize? All of the covers I've downloaded have had the correct dimensions.

18. WillG

WillG Producer

I didn't actually get it from dvdcoverart.com. It was from another website.

19. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Hopefully not cdcovers.cc or whatever that site is. Their stuff is TERRIBLE.

A standard single-width DVD should be 3240 x 2175 pixels at 300dpi.

20. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

About to print some stuff myself... got some 8 1/2 by 11 photo paper. everyone agree Tony's idea is the best to print with this size?

Tony I have an Epson printer (C80) do you set it to "landscape" or "portrait" before any "justification"?