What's new

Question about Cerwin Vega (1 Viewer)

Sean Mullin

Agent
Ok here goes..... I am currently looking to totally upgrade my rig. I do have some older stuff, and may be inclined to keep some, discard some, or just simply start over. I have heard a ton O great things about Paradigm, SVS Hsu and have been impressed with the listening I have done.
here is the deal... I have an OLD Pro-Logic Sherwood Amp, A Pair of CV LS-12's and a pair of wonderful sounding older Klipsch Kg4's currently in my HT. I know it is a total mish-mash of stuff.

I am definately gonna change my reciever... either the Yammy 657 or the Onkyo 603X (am leaning toward the Onkyo, even though it is a little more money.

My question is this... should I also scrap the speakers, and start over there??

I have blown the tweeters outta my CV's and have replaced them recently. I have heard from some that the tweeters are good sounding in them, but are a week point becuse they tend to blow, but I have also heard that a poor amp, which mine currently qualifies as, causes most problems like I have had. I am fairly certain a reciever upgrade will make a ton of difference in the way my current setup sounds. BTW I love my Kg4's they are absolutly sweet sounding (not as much base as the CV's, but the mids and highs are right on for my ears).

So... guys.. should I get the reciever, and a new Center to match my mains?? and run with it?? or "upgrade" to some much smaller speakers like I have seen alot of people do in their HT setups??

I know I have rambled... but was wondering your thoughts on these questions...

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I used to run all CV speakers as well, and have recently upgraded to Kirksaeter speakers....and trust me....it's alot better! I've also recenlty gone from a Sherwood receiver to a Denon, and could'nt be happier.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the Klipsch sound better to you, then dump the CV’s. You should be able to find some Kg4’s on eBay to round out your system. Once you add a sub you’ll have all the bass you need.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Sean: whatever brand you keep or buy, DON'T buy small ones just because everybody else is.

Because no matter what brand I've personally listened to, to my ears small speakers-i.e. anything using a woofer smaller than 6.5"-sound small and I don't care if they are crossed over at the THX standard of 80Hz or not. Even at 100Hz the satellites' woofers are asked to output a lot of mid & upper bass frequencies and if they aren't large enough, you'll know it. Things that can be affected are male voices, many stringed instruments, certain drums, synthesizers, pianos and various movie effects (traffic noises, SFX in sci-fi stories, etc, etc). The overall result is a thin sound which also lacks "airiness" (this is hard to define but that's the best adjective I can come up with)-everything just doesn't sound as realistic and enveloping as with larger speakers. The laws of physics can only be bent so far.

I'm afraid such effects are not known to many people nowadays because tiny cubes have been so popular the last decade & such knowledge is kind of disappearing, except for old farts like myself (I'm 40) who grew up with "large" speakers like those with 8"+ woofers and who have done their own comparisons to see what all the fuss is about.

BTW: if one is blowing out a Cerwin Vega's tweeter on a regular basis, that means a TOO-SMALL amp is being turned up too high and as a result is being pushed into its distortion mode, and no tweeter can deal with large amounts of a signal like that (technically speaking the signal is "clipped", which mean instead of a smooth/rounded-off waveform, the waveform has flattened tops, and square waves-even small amounts of them-can do nasty things to speakers [and ears!]). >>> Even expensive amps can do this.

Sean Mullin

Agent
thanks guys for the input.

Yes, I love the Kg4's, but I am a kind of "bass pig" and the vega's definately get the bass done. as for the blown tweeter issue... I pretty much figured that was the prob, and am hoping the upgrade to either the Onkyo or Yammy will do the trick there. I think I'm gonna just grab the biggest CV center and a fair sized CV pair of spkrs for the surrounds, and move the KG's to my bedroom (the wife likes the sound of the Kg's the best *wink* *wink*). If I don't have enough bass after that in my HT, I'll Likely round up an SVS or M&K or Hsu sub.
thanks for all the input, it is and will be greatly appreciated and helpful

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks