What's new

Question a obout Apple Itunes and Ipod (1 Viewer)

RichP

Second Unit
most certainly is. Outside of two clowns who made a QuickTime movie, there is no indication that the battery in an iPod only lasts 18 months. In fact you have 3 instances of anecdotal evidence right here on the board that are contrary.

As has been pointed out to you already, you can obtain AppleCare for iPod at the time of purchase for $59 (can be found for $49) which runs past 18 months and includes battery replacement. Additionally, as has also been pointed out, there are far less expensive 3rd party battery solutions.

I mistakenly assumed that you would understand which part of your statement I was referring to. I won't make that mistake again.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Be aware that opening the iPod to change the battery yourself does void Apple's warranty. I think the AppleCare solution is the best one if you're concerned about battery life.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
since i only have a mini, does all this battery bru-ha-ha also apply to it (the mini) as well?

looking at the thing right now, i have zero clue how i could even open it up. oh..i did buy the apple warranty, but just curious.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

I assume so. They all use lithium-ion batteries -- just different shapes and sizes according to model/generation.

AricB

Second Unit
anyone want to recommend the best place to get a deal on an Ipod? Looking for a larger capacity one in the 3-400 range. thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
aren't all apple products price-fixed? shouldn't matter where you get it from ... should be the same price everywhere.

RichP

Second Unit

Pretty much yes. You can find deals -- usually in the form of add-ons or additional accessories -- at the usual places, MacMall MacWarehouse, SmallDog, and even the Apple Store itself.

But for the most part, don't expect any more than 10% off of any current Apple product.

cwhite

Second Unit

If style matters, you still may get a new, previous 3rd generation iPod at a decent discount from Amazon. The difference is solely cosmetic(except for purported extended battery life) between 3rd and 4th generation iPods, though the buttons do light up on the 3rd gen Pods.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I purchased my 40GB iPod +HP from www.buy.com for $349 with free shipping -- I used a $20 off coupon to drop the price from $369.

The iPod's from HP are less expensive than the Apple versions, but the players are the same (except for the HP logo on the back of the unit).

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I ordered my Ipod from apple and used their education store. I am a student and they asked for my student number. You could try this avenue if you know someone who is a student or works at a unviersity. I got it for $40 less than retail.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh..btw dave, thanks for that ipodmini battery link. definitely something i should be able to handle. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Elliott Willschick, THANKS for that info! I'm a student myself and that post was potentially worth $40 to me!!!!

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
You're welcome. If you have any trouble then just post here and I'll help you out. You have to follow the education link on their website. All accessories are cheaper too.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just fyi to all, you can remove the DRM on iTunes' AAC files using something called iOpener. I know what you're thinking but the program is actually pretty legit. It even asks for your iTunes login and password before it removes the encryption.

It's for home use, so I can play the files in Fubar2k which has a Kernal Streaming plugin to bypass the Windows Kmixer. In plain English this just means there's no upsampling to 48kHz on a 44.1kHz sound file, which iTunes does. It sounds better.

You can probably use a program to convert to MP3 to skip the whole CD burning step.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i guess i have an itunes question as well.

i have yet to download a single song from itunes, but i i might wanna download some of the u2 stuff. i want to be able to convert the aac (?) format to a .wav format so i can make my own "compilation" cd and play it in my car stereo - which just plays regular cd's.

is that possible? if so, how - and will it sound any good?

ps, i use roxio to create all my mix cd's...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
You can burn anything within iTunes as a music CD (the one you want), mp3 CD, or data CD. This includes importing other popular sound formats. It sounds ok. If you don't like it no big loss, each song is only $.99. :)

If you want to burn the files in Roxio see if it accepts AAC files. If it does consider removing the DRM. http://hymn-project.org/

FredK

Second Unit
I love my iPod, but I do find myself using alternatives to Apple software whereever possible... iTunes is a processor hog easily replaced with ephPod and WinAMP, and I've never ever had a problem with hymn for removing DRM, no corrupted files, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks