What's new

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't like Will and Grace either. Again, Gay Stereotype for Middle American Comfort. As Homer put it "...and I like my gays FLAMING". Last I checked, the restrictions on W&G were outrageous. He's barely allowed to have physical contact with any other man.

I could do without the blonde one's constant references to inserting hands or other things in people's pants. I'm sick and tired of seeing stereotypes on TV. For once I want to see the other 80%+ of gay men whose every waking moment is not devoted to what they're going to bed next, or what faabbulous accessory to add next. So far, only The Amazing Race has shown that kind of person on anything other than PBS documentaries.

I find the stuff they chose to be vacuous, without personality, and their opinions will change as fast as the trends. I would never permit them to give me a makeover, because that, despite their claims, that they're fitting me into a mold I want no part of.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

This is not the right show for that though. This is a fun, fast-paced, light-hearted, positive make-over show, not a study in gay behavior.

However, to me only Carson is the "Jack" type. The other guys aren't very "flaming" at all for the most part.

"Gay Stereotype for Middle American Comfort" you say. As opposed to Reichen and Chips completely non-sexual, non-sensual, non-anything-but-commeraderie relationship in TAR? They might as well just have been roommates. But you're right it wasn't a steretype, instead it was every homophobe's dream (I know you are not a homophobe, though, that's not what I mean) of how gay couples are supposed to act in public: nothing that stands out, be masculine, don't be touchy-feely, and don't do any public displays of affection. I don't think this is because of C&R, I think it's because CBS' editing. They didn't even give eachother a kiss when they won $1M! Just a "hey buddy, we made it" hug.

I've seen more affection between men on QEFTSG than I saw in any moment between Chip and Reichen.

I also get the feeling you wouldn't like this type of show anyway, whether they were gay or not. :)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Jeff, are they any "gay" shows or shows that have homosexual characters on them that you do approve of? Please enlighten us if there are any. While I respect your opinions, I don't see why you have such a beef with this show. I despise reality TV, but I really enjoy this show. I find it funny, and I like the fact that the Fab 5 actually care about the individual they are trying to help, versus taking advantage of the idividual for ratings (ala The Bachelor, etc.)

Plus, I know know the correct way to put hair product into my hair, and what jheujing is! :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I would never permit them to give me a makeover, because that, despite their claims, that they're fitting me into a mold I want no part of.
...and i can respect that. but you shouldn't harp on a show just because it doesn't fit your mold.

guys, jeff is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else, but may i casually suggest we drop it? i'd hate to see this thread closed...i'm having such a faaabulous good time with it! :D

jheujing...who knew!?!? ;)

btw - who is reichen and chips?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reichen and Chip are the gay married couple who won CBS's "The Amazing Race 4."

Actually, Reichen said they shared quite a passionate kiss, but CBS edited it out. :thumbsdown:

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Jeff, are they any "gay" shows or shows that have homosexual characters on them that you do approve of? Please enlighten us if there are any.
As much as I hate to steal Jeff's thunder on this ... Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the only show I can think of that has *ever* had a gay relationship portrayed in any sort of realistic way. Well, as realistic as a relationship between two witches can get. Willow & Tara were shown truly in love and shared many touching scenes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yup, Tom nailed it. Buffy always depicted Tara and Willow as normal women who happened to be in love.

But this isn't a Buffy thread, so I bid it adieu.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

So, either your TV tuner is broken and cannot change channels or your partner doesn't allow you to touch the remote.:rolleyes:

And I don't understand how a vampire show is more realistic depiction of gays than a show with actual gay people being themselves.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
And I don't understand how a vampire show is more realistic depiction of gays than a show with actual gay people being themselves.
Because one show depicts a minority segment of the gay population popularized by the mass media, and one depicts most of the rest of us. Normal people in normal relationships (evil god mindsucking aside, and even then it was a very realistic relationship like anyone whose mate is in a serious illness). I highly suggest you watch Buffy seasons 4-5-6

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Because one show depicts a minority segment of the gay population popularized by the mass media, and one depicts most of the rest of us. Normal people in normal relationships (evil god mindsucking aside, and even then it was a very realistic relationship like anyone whose mate is in a serious illness). I highly suggest you watch Buffy seasons 4-5-6
True, the releationship between Willow and Tara is pretty realistic but does that mean we cant have shows like Queer Eye or Boy Meets Boy?

My partner and I enjoy Queer Eye because like someone said it isnt suppose to be a show about gay behavior.
We are watching it to be entertained and thats it frankly.
Sure, it would be nice to have more shows portraying us a bit more realistically but I think that will happen in time.
Not to compare race with sexual orientation but TV always takes time before they are conforatable with "Different" things.
The African American population were not accurately portrayed on TV for years much less accepted in major roles.

It may take time but it will happen.

Oh, and about Buffy, catch seasons 4 and 5. Dont bother wtih 6 (except the musical).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

There are hundreds of other channels if you want to watch something different.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Back on the subject....

Last nights episode was pretty good with Thom working his genius with the apartment and the rest doing what they do. The couch and chair were NICE. As someone said last episode about the chair from Pottery Barn, those are expensive.

Thom's comment that sitting out on the Terrace was like sitting at a bus station was so true, it looked just like that. Also, when him and Carson were lying in some random guys bed "Just like old times" was pretty funny; you could see Thom got a kick out of that.

Tomato plants he was growing out there? Suuuure, "I use to have a shirt with a Tomato leaf on it."

Question: Why is it that every time Kyan tells the guy how to shave it goes in one ear and out the other? The look on his face when they start shaving too fast and against the grain is like "What the hell are you doing". He looked so much better with shorter hair.

It was very painfull watching that guy try and dance, he was very insecure and at first started with the humor dance.

The guy was stunned at what they did with his place, he was at a loss for words.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I didn't like this makeover very much. The apartment turned out very nice, and seemed to fit his lifestyle, and the food was a good choice.

But he should have worn something else than a dark t-shirt and shirt, that looked too much like what he wore already. I know, he liked it it, but it was supposed to be a special evening, so why not let him wear one of the more colorful, elegant outfits he also liked?

The dancing... first of all, he made a mistake by talking about it and building up people's expectations as well as his own anxiety. But, more importantly, they made a mistake of having this insecure, awkward guy go out and dance after just one lesson. It seemed like he didn't like it, but felt forced into it. IMO this show is about helping someone change into the person they want to be, and yes, the dancing was part of that. But they should have taken him and his girlfriend to a dance lesson by themselves instead, and let them build on that at their own pace. It would have been an intimate and fun event for them, and something they could have used more by regularly taking dance lessons and eventually, as they were more comfortable, do the club dancing thing by themselves.

IMO, of course. :)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
This last episode was on the dull side. I would have liked to have seen more than a few brief high-speed glimpses of Thom's work in the apartment, since that turned out well, and less of Jai's dance instruction, since that turned out to be useless. And they should always include the haircut, I think...it was odd that we didn't get to see any of it this time. This episode was also really light on dispensing informative and practical tips.

Jai is the weakest link; maybe they should rethink the idea of having a culture guy and maybe go for a nutrition or fitness expert instead.

I'm a little bit tired of this show. Anybody else?
I've seen only four episodes and I'm a little tired of the presentation already. It may be the sizzle that sells the steak, as Carson says, but the only way they're going to keep me watching at this point is with more meat.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
agreed with the general consensus on last night's ep.

overall, somewhat drab. the guy's dancing was pretty horrible, but tbh, so was his girlfriend's. what was carson's line about them doing a see-saw routine?

i was also surprised they didn't include the haircut. i agree that is one they should always include, since it could be helpful to any number of people. i guess they can only fit so much into a one-hour show and they were really expecting him to step up to the plate come disco-time. at least we didn't see any DRI's.

the series is becoming somewhat formulaic, but it's still entertaining to watch. it looks like we're already into re-runs. i think a series of revisits to former episodes would be interesting.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
There was a blurb in the TV guide about how Jai doesnt really have allot to do. I agree.

What do you think?
It may be the sizzle that sells the steak, as Carson says, but the only way they're going to keep me watching at this point is with more meat
Hmmm. That could mean allot of things....

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I agree it wasn't a strong episode, but keep in mind that I think this was one of the first episodes produced and maybe they hadn't found their stride yet. Even Carson really didn't give many good tips on clothes. Also, that segment with him working out in the gym was lame. People don't want to see someone working out -- it's not as if he's all of a sudden going get washboard abs. It's all about instant results ! They've probably learned that, which is why there haven't been any more gym segments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks