What's new

Queen+ Paul Rodgers - OFFICIAL "The Cosmos Rocks" discussion thread (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
What a tough CD to review! Rather than a track-by-track review (Michael, you pretty much covered it all already!) let me just share some thoughts:

* It doesn't strike me as a Queen album. I've never been a fan of Paul Rodgers (I don't hate his singing either, just not my cup of tea), but about half of it doesn't even sound like Queen. I was hoping for more of Brian's amazing guitar work (love it when he goes crazy with the orchestral sound!).

* I'll repeat something I said in an earlier post: I REALLY miss Brian and Roger doing lead vocals.

* Rather than using Paul as lead vocalist, I had moments where I wished that Brian and Roger would try a Santana/"Supernatural" recording using a range of vocalists.

* Considering this was the first "Queen" recording in seventeen years, some of the lyrics were more than just weak, they were abysmal!

* I hope "Runaway" is available here as a single track download when the CD is released in a few weeks. Really liked it!

So, maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens, but as it stands now, I'd give it a solid "C".

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

After many MANY listens my opinions overall haven't changed, love some of it, hate some of it and am "eh" on the rest....much like Queen's entire career.

BTW Eric, I would've *liked* to have read a song by song from you!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
iTunes is offering both "Runaway" and "The Show Must Go On" as bonus tracks that, surprisingly, are available for seperate purchase!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It's an ok album, I liked about half of it; but I have to agree with the sentiment that it didn't feel like Queen other than some of Brian May's guitar parts. I wasn't expecting much so I'm not really disappointed with the album...just disappointed that they didn't just come up with a new name for the May/Rodgers/Taylor trio. Not because of any "It's just not Queen without Freddie!" mentality (although it really isn't...) but because it just doesn't have that Queen sound.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A local radio station has the whole album up for streaming and I've finally listened to it.

It's not horrible, but it's very bland. Simple, straightforward, bluesy rock. Nothing special IMO.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Tomorrow night (Thursday, Nov. 6th) is a "simulcast" to many digitally equipped theaters (there are about six in Milwaukee that are showing this) of the recent PR + Queen Ukraine show. It's being shown at 7:30PM locally.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Eric, I saw the theatrical showing and while it was cool to see it on such a huge screen, my GOD was the audio screwed up! NO surround sound, the backing vocals were inaudible and the bass was barely there. Really ruined the experience for me. I had thought maybe it was a screw-up on the theater's part but I had been reading accounts from other fans nationwide and the same thing happened with them. What a shame.

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, the quality of the simulcast sucked big time. I was really disappointed with the audio quality, and the video was shown on a really craptastic LCD projector. I could have gotten 10 times the quality at home. Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks