What's new

QUEEN: A NIGHT AT THE OPERA a DVD-Audio review by David Tolsky (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Patrick,
See the review of the Sony XA777ES in the latest TAS for an interesting opinion. :)

Real Name
John Haghighi
No mater what anyone's preference is the market place will determine the final outcome.
By complaint to both camps:
WHERE THE @#$% IS THE SOFTWARE?
I just listened to the DVD-A version of the Eagles Hotel Cailfornia, which includes a 24/192 stereo mix something I was waiting to hear. Well I have to say after one listening session I prefered the 24/96 surround MLP mix. I imagine the 24/192 tracks were as close to the master as you can get, while the 24/96 tracks were obviously enhanced.
I think I am beginning to appreciate good surround mixes, it can make or break a reissue regardless of bit/frequency or format.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Stacey:

There a few retailers that carry DVD-Audio discs here in Canada, and specifically, here in Calgary. I have had my best luck with picking them up from A&B Sound at either the North-East store or the downtown store. SAM's in Chinook Center also has a small selection, although somewhat higher priced.

I own 3 DVD-A titles right now, and may get more, but I find the format is still a little immature. Certainly the quantity of titles is lacking.

For your interest, I could bring my DVD-A discs to our next local HTF meet for a listen. And yes, they all have a 5.1 mix with some visuals and are playable in any DVD player.

The titles I own are Corrs: In Blue, Steely Dan: Two Against Nature, and Blue Man Group: Audio. I also have a selection of DTS music CDs, including Don Henley: End of the Innocence, Alan Parsons: On Air, Andre Previn: Holst's The Planets, Alison Krall: Love Scenes and the DTS sampler CD. No SACDs or an SACD player yet, so no comment on that format at this time.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Geez.... the battlelines clearly are being drawn over these two music formats aren't they? I've heard members in favor of one format say that the other sounds horrible (I think it is a gross exaggerration to say either of these great sounding formats sound "horrible"). I think each format has its advantages and disadvanatges, and the mere fact that so many experts disagree over which format is clearly superior, I think proves that there is no clear cut winner here yet. Comparing this to the VHS/Beta battle in the 80's is a little different, as we must remember that opinion was almost universally in favor of Beta among critics when it came to superiority. Things do not appear to be this clear and cut dry with the high-resolution music debate with things pretty divided. I personally enjoy both formats, and to be honest guys (and gals!), I've never been hung up on which one is sonically superior etc; I simply buy whatever is available from an artist I may like, as both formats are currently lacking in media at the moment. they are still in their infancy, and both formats still have many years to grow/improve (afterall, redbook CD is still improving after 20 years). Just my two cents on this.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
You are absolutely right, Reggie,

Although I currently prefer DVD-Audio, the only think I am hoping for is MORE multichannels software for both DVD-Audio and SACD...

That will benefit both camps tremendously.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I have a few friends (who aren't audiophiles) who decided to go with DVD-A for its multi-channel/video capabilities. SACD has few multi-channel titles available currently, and it isn't known (at least I don't know) if their current title catalog will be re-released with multi-channel tracks. I've also found that many in the audiphile community have some sort of grudge against multi-channel music, which also has much to do with their preference of SACD. It is a no frills format with no video or multi-media content and is intended to be used as an audio unit only, where DVD-A players tend to double as DVD video players. There is nothing wrong with this, but I think that the idea of listening to multi-channel music thrills many (especially those like myself, who may just be a borderline audiophile) who are uninitiated. The few DVD-A's I have I love, especially the multi-channel track on Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours...." Just amazing. Of course, there are other titles that are poorly mixed, which causes the audiophiles to dismiss multi-channel music outright. One thing I don't like about DVD-A: The monitor requirement. I think a definite future improvement will be allow you the option of listening to your music without the aid of a monitor, and also offer 2.0 PCM tracks as standard so that you won't have to double up and buy a regular Redbook CD. Many of the new moderate to upper level players will now offer bass management, which is helpful, and the new Denon 9000 will be the first DVD-A player to use a digital connection via Denon's own encryption scheme with its new 5803 receiver. Of course, you will have to shell out about 8 grand for both units!!!

Anyway, just my two cents.

Reg

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I may have missed it, but did anyone ever answer the question of whether this review covers the second version of the NIGHT AT THE OPERA DVD-A? I don't recall seeing a response to that in any of this thread's posts.
I'm not absolutely sure that there was a new remix done for the release, but I believe I've read that the first mix wasn't a big hit.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
All I know is that the first, negative reviews (like this one:
http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2097
) of the disc showed up in December, but May was mixing up until the middle of January (see here:
http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=207355
). So, unless the December review copies fell through a hole in the space-time continuum, they aren't the final version.
Speculation is that May wasn't happy with the first attempt, and used the delay caused by the collapse of DTS's distributor to take another crack at it.
Ryan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There are 2 sides to every story.
Naturaly,while I don't take side of either formats[don't have a player yet,waiting on the Pioneer Elite combi player],I consider Bob Stuart closer to my own ideology on audio on general,then Mark Levinson, instanse.
It isn't personal, I just favor the engenier POV over the "audiophile" one.:)
Dave nice review, now with the correct title!;)

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Are you talking about Mark Levinson the person or Mark Levinson the company? because one uses the name without the person's involvement while the other cannot use his own name as a brand, because he sold out.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Alan, I was never told whether this mix is the first or second version when I was handed the disc. I tend to believe it is the second and final version, which would lead me to believe May was not mixing until mid January. The disc was given to me with a full press kit at CES in early January. It sure doesn't seem to me that this version would garner all the bad reviews previously mentioned in this thread.
Sorry to take you guys off topic. Please continue your DVD-A vs. SACD bantering :frowning:

RicP

Screenwriter
Sutjahjo,

How can you state with certainty that Mr. Levinson "sold out"? Do you actually know what happened between Mr. Levinson and Madrigal, or are you simply drawing a conclusion?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
What about the "audiophile" that is an engineer? Because that describes Mark Levinson.
I was waiting on that.

Mark Levinson is admitedly is an audiophile first,then engineer.But IMO he isn't in the same leauge with Bob Stuart,in that profession,simply because their expertise "lies" on different interest which they had persued. [hardware: B.S. software: M.L.]

RicP

Screenwriter
Lewis,
Exactly. Mark Levinson is an accomplished Jazz Musician, Bob Stuart is an engineer.
I know who I'd want picking the more "musical" piece of equipment for me. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks