What's new

Quantum Mechanics (1 Viewer)

Luc D

Second Unit
I've been reading up on the subject and I've grown increasingly fascinated by its concepts/applications/possibilities and would like to learn more. So if those of you with a physics background could recommend some books I could check out I would be greatly appreciative. Keep in mind, however, I am still at an introductory level.

Thanks

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I've been interested in Physics since High School (even thought of pursuing it professionally at some point). That would mean brushing up seriously on my math skills, however.

I'm not just interesting in Quantum Physics, though -- all of the ideas and theories from Relativity to Super String Theory fascinate me.

Give me about a day and I'll get you a decent list of books you can peruse. I don't know them off the top of my head (as I am in a REALLY big hurry to get home for Thanksgiving dinner!)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
A few good books for the beginner are

The Universe Next Door: The Making of Tomorrows Science by Marcus Chown

Just Six Numbers: The Deep Forces That Shape the Universe by Martin J. Rees

Matter Myth by John Gribbin and P. C. W. Davies

About Time by P. C. W. Davies

After that then you would probably want to get into Gribben's Schrodinger series:

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat
Schrodinger's Kittens: The Search for Reality.

And follow it up with all of Hawkins' work. I hope this helps.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
On a different (perhaps lighter) note:

The Tao of Physics - Fritjof Capra
The Dancing Wu Li Masters - Gary Zukav

Interesting comparisons of Eastern Mysticism and Western Science.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed The Elegant Universe, by Brian Green. It's a non-techno book, and more about superstring then quantum specifically, but it hits QM, special, and general relativity in the process of explaining SS. Definitely a fascinating book, although it remains the only book I've ever read that was physically tiring. You had to think about and actively contemplate every sentence or you'd get lost in a paragraph at most, to the point that I couldn't read it for more then an hour or so. Fascinating book, and one I want to read again when I get the chance.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A terrific beginner book is Instant Physics by Tony Rothman. Of course this covers all physics and builds to QM. To me this makes it more helpful because QM does not stand alone from other physics any more than relativity did.

It has made a great basic reference point book for me whenever I jump the tracks on my basic understanding, and leads nicely into more advanced writings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks