What's new

Quantum Leap Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know. I wasn't even sure if I had the information right about the first season. Outside of Star Trek, I wasn't aware of all of these complete season pre-DVD releases.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Only select episodes from Quantum Leap have been available on home video before, and these have remained unaltered in the season 2 set. That might explain why the leap in into "Catch a Falling Star" at the end of "So Help me God" has replaced music whereas in the actual episode it is unaltered. Catch a Falling Star has been available before.
Same goes for "What Price Gloria" which has been available previously. When Sam leaps in at the beginning of the episode, the song playing (I forget what it was, but it's a fairly well known one) would have been easy to replace, yet it's still there.
If they screw up season 3 like that did season 2 (and as I've stated above I believe they will), at least there's hoping for the Leap Home episodes, because those were available previously as well.

Chris

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I contacted Universal yesterday and asked about the music for season 3. I'll report back when then respond.

Gord

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Season 3 is make or break for QL on DVD. If it comes out with the original music, which I highly doubt, I'd buy it. Then I would have to go back and buy Season 1 again since I sold mine after the Season 2 fiasco. However, I think David Lambert's reasoning on the timing issues is correct. I've given up QL for dead.

This is why I believe consumers have an obligation to communicate with the studios. When a season set or movie you were planning on buying is released on DVD with problems that prevent you from buying it, you need to contact the studio and let them know your reason for passing. Not just an impersonal email either. Send a letter AND call their customer service department. Be polite but let them know that you were going to purchase the item but since it has problem X, Y, or Z, you will be passing.

You're correct that the studios will associate poor sales with lack of consumer interest. Without feedback. It may sound idealistic, but if enough dissatisfied customers communicate their objections to the studio, it may start to paint a picture for their marketing department when and if an item fails to sell.

I see so many people say that there is nothing we can do and we should just take what we're given. That's a shame. There are examples out there where studios have taken action after consumer complaints, especially on films. I have no use for inferior releases myself.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Universal contacted us yesterday to say that the artwork wasn't finished yet, and shouldn't have been posted (we've since taken it off the site). Maybe they'll change the episode images in the new design. We'll have new artwork up when they make it available.

Gord

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Alright...

Everyone is going to be ticked at me for saying this...

I remember when "Star Trek" (the original one) was released on VHS for the first time (I'm gonna say in 1985).

The episodes were $20 per episode (as I recall). I remember they released something like the first 6 eps. I remember when I went with my dad to the store. I really wanted them. He was like, "I can't believe they are charging that much per episode! It should be $20 for the whole lot!"

Suffice it to say, I didn't get them. Oh sure, I got "selected" eps in the intervening years, but never all of them.

I am sure that if you paid $15 to $20 per episode that Universal (and other studios) would gladly purchase all of the music rights.

I don't know how much this set retails for, but $40 to $50 for an entire season...that's like $2 and episode.

I would imagine that it'd cost thousands of dollars to retain the rights to all of the shows' songs. Are they really going to sell enough sets of this show to make it worth their while?

Well...they probably based it on sales of the first season.

It really is sad, and it bugs a "perfectionist" like me to have this happen. However, I am just glad to have all the shows at an affordable price.

You all know how it is with DVD...if something is even moderately successful in sales, they'll come out with multiple versions and releases on DVD.

Your investment in the DVDs now...followed by complaining...may result in a "anniversary" edition someday.

Jimmy M

Second Unit

But even at the prices they were charging back then, The City on the Edge of Forever had had some music replaced for home video.

Jimmy!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Universal said it was a "timing issue." They have said nothing whatsoever about cost. Since they are the only ones with first-hand knowledge, I'll have to take them at their word.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's what Universal has gone to for everything, it appears. That's how S2 of Magnum, the A-Team and Knight Rider were.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
While annoying that they change the format, I'd have to say I prefer it, especially for the double sided discs. I haven't had anywhere near the trouble with scratching on these cases, and you can get the disc out without feeling like you're going to break it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's what I like about it. I never thought I'd get one of my Magnum S1 discs off the hub. I'm glad not to have that problem now.

The slimpaks seem to be the current standard for TV sets. Of the last five sets I've purchased, five have been in the slims. That's Universal, Paramount and Fox. I think it's a good choice. Look at the Brady Bunch. 20+ episodes in a package the width of a standard keepcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks