What's new

Quality of Def Tech BP7002s for Music? (1 Viewer)

Earstoyou

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Hochman
Hi guys,

I am quite new to this great forum, and have learned a tremendous amount from reading the posts. I would welcome any and all feedback, if you would be so kind:

I am in the process of getting a pair of Def Tech 7002s, and they will be used for about 80% music (jazz, blues, R&B, funk, classical) and 20% HT. I now have B&W 601 S2s, B&W CC6 S2 center, Sound Dynamics THS3000 12" sub, and Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000s. When I asked my neighbor, who sells and installs very high end home audio or AV systems (and who helped me put together my present system) what I could do to upgrade to another reasonable level, he recommended the Def Tech 7006s, 7004s, or 7002s, depending on my budget. He said the 7002s can't be beaten for the huge bipolar soundstage, and he felt the sound was significantly more accurate (compared to live) than my B&Ws.

After checking around, I bought a single demo 7002 at Best Buy for $230, and another privately for $340 (waiting to pick it up from seller, so haven't heard them together yet). I also bought a new, boxed Def Tech 2300 for $95 at another Best Buy, so if and when the deal for the second 7002 materializes, I should be set (?), and haven't spent much more than I can resell the B&W gear for. My components are Denon 1911, Oppo 93, and modified AR turntable for vinyl. I know Def Tech 7002s are supposed to be super for movies, but how do you think they are for music? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
My thoughts are why would you buy a whole new set of speakers without listening to them. If you spent any amount of time on this forum you would know that the three most important words in speaker selection are: Listen, Listen, Listen.

It seems you placed all of your decision process for both your B&W and Def Techs on the faith of your expert neighbor. I don't care how many high end systems he has installed he does not have your ears installed in his head.

Since you are already purchased most of your Def Tech system are you asking for our opinion or our approval? All you can do is install them and hope they work out for you.

Earstoyou

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Hochman
Hi Bill,

I am asking for opinions, since having the chance to bring about a potentially huge improvement in sound at the same price that I can sell my B&W stuff for is a no-brainer, as even later, I can always sell the Def Tech stuff for a lot more than I paid it. I will not sell the B&W stuff before I set up and live with the Def Techs, and I thought that some of the forum's members with experience with these 7002s might offer some perspectives based on their own experience, since I was curious what others have been through in their upgrading process. Yes - I haven't heard these speakers, as they have been taken down in the local showrooms due to their being discontinued, and so far I only have one, and am due to pick up the second one in a few days, but I could always stop here if they are just way wrong for music. No risk - only the chance for better/different sound at a very low price.

To be honest with you - why the condescending lecture? It's not one I want or appreciate. I am simply a fellow music/HT lover with admittedly probably much less experience than you who is simply asking for some feedback from people with more experience than me.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
I have always felt the Def Tech speakers were a tremendous value. I have never owned any myself but every time I walk into a sound room and they are playing, I think, hmmm, that sounds good... what's playing? Then I discover that they are Def Tech speakers. I think that you will be very happy with them.... for music, as well as video. Let us know what you think when you get them up and running.

Nick

Earstoyou

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Hochman
Thank you for your post, Nick. I will be sure to post when all is transacted and set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks