What's new

Q on OAR/16X9 TV look-Kiki's Delivery Service (1 Viewer)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I recently purchased a region 2 Japanese import of Kiki's Delivery Service. This disc says 16X9 (1.85:1) "Vista size" anamorphic. However, when I play on my 16X9 Panny plasma, there is black frame around the film on the screen. With other 1.85:9 DVDs (i.e. Final Fantasy, Toy Story 2, etc), the screen is completely filled.
Is this normal or an APR that is little different than normal?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
My domestic LD of Kiki's Delivery Service says 1.85. I'm not certain what is the true OAR of this film however but 1.85 seems to be likely. Perhaps your disc isn't anamorphic as claimed or the dvd is overmatted. Other than that, I have no clue.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anything about this title, but if you have a small black area around the whole of the picture then it could be a 'windowboxes' transfer. This is done to ensure no picture information is lost to TV overscan.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Thank you Rob and Alan. Rob, what other films are in "Windowboxed" format? Is this common? Thanks again.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
On a standard 4:3 TV, part of the picture tube is hidden inside of your television's case, this is called "overscan". Windowboxing is simply putting some black on all sides of the picture to compensate for this. I'm willing to bet this is what happened, Miyazaki-san is very anal about how his films are presented
Jeff Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on October 21, 2001 at 02:35 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks