What's new

PW-2200 Resale Price (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Alan, I suggest you check when TV registered on this forum. Notice it is several years before SVS even existed. Tom was big in the DIY sub scene. Although DIY can still beat out the price/performance ratio of SVS, SVS is the closest you can get to the DIY price/performance ratio commercially (meaning he has compromised much less on parts cost and shipping sizes than other manufactures). I do believe that was what TV and Ron set out to do. Allow the person who can't DIY to get much closer to the price/performance ratio of DIY (and it's lack of compromises that force the use of boost and limiter circuits).

I pushed SVS on you as I truely belief it was your best option. You choose to disaggree with me. Others here strongly push SVS as they have found something great and want others to as well. TV has never once pushed someone on SVS. In threads asking about SVS he will suggest which one he feels would be best for that person (and never without first getting the appropriate information). If the thread isn't about SVS, he won't even mention SVS. I ask you to find a single example on this site where he has done so.

I think your comments to TV were unfair and unjustified. He is one of the stongest assets of this forum. I'd love to see more people like him, Ron and Guy (AVIA) here. Paradigm has flat out lied to us before (do a search on Paradigm Active Reference) and no one from there is here to canditely and honestly answer questions on their products. They still make some great stuff, at great prices to Canadians (not so great to Americans unless they hop the border).

Lévesque, I agree, SVS isn't that great of an option for Canadians in some cases. You can get a Servo15 for what you would spend on an SVS 20-39CS/S700. But as you go up the SVS line it does become more practical. A pair of SVS 20-39CS+ subs with the Samson S1000 amp will beat a pair of Servo15s in output and match if not beat in sound quality for around the same cost. $1100 is an incredible price for the Servo15 even without the X30 crossover. I'd feel I was doing well if I spent $1400-$1500 CDN after tax for it.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is "WOW"! I thought for sure that this thread was going to die of a peaceful death and then wham! All of a sudden we got more than 20 posts and you know what? Not a single post answered MY ORIGINAL QUESTION! Isn't that funny?

For the record, I think Ron and Tom are both valuable members of this forum. I wish more manufacturers would participate and use this and or other forums to help support their customers and HT/HiFi hobbyist. And people, why don't we let the facts speak for itself. If Ron and Tom are just here to sell their gears and let's just say for argument’s sake that SV Subs are not as good as advertised. Does anybody here honestly think that the members of this forum is going to let them get away with it? Wouldn't at least one person be bad mouthing SVS with actual facts? And since SVS has been selling for at least over a year now and with hundreds if not thousands of satisfy customers, how come I haven't seen that many negative posts? At least none that I can recall. So what we have left are just "innuendos" and "suggestions" of inappropriate behavior. And am I the only one who thinks this is strange? You think HTF is in bed with SVS and the admins are shutting down all the negative posts? How about other forums? How about AudioReview? Or do you think SVS is so big and powerful that they are in bed with everyone? Don't be ridicules. Not even Bose has enough marketing muscle to do that. So please stop the whispering campaign and try to imply something that isn't there.

So Ron and Tom, please don't let these people bother you. Most of us do appreciate your help and please don't let the minority opinions ruin a good thing for the rest of us.

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry that nobody answered your question Michael. If I'd had any idea of the resale value of a PW-2200 I'd have answered it for you. Shame one or two people hijacked the thread and put people into defensive mode rather than thinking about your question.

You're right. All we ever get are the occasional innuendo and hints of impropriety. For some reason the people making these suggestions never seem to actually own an SVS. The members here who do own them write up their opinions almost to a man. I don't believe I've seen anyone ever actually bring one of their subs home and then speak badly about it.

You might find an answer to your question on the Hardware for Sale forum if nobody ponies up an answer.

Norman Short

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
"To view this sub as a quality piece of audio gear is a joke. It is poorly constructed and definitely overhyped in sound quality. My Rel is so far superior they are not in the same league. It is the same as comparing a subaru to a

mercedes.

All credit to Ron Stimpson for his marketing savvy( he can probably afford a benz now). He is a nice guy and a good businessman but the quality of an SVS sub is p*ss poor.

I believe I cannot give more the a 2.5-3 stars."

It is reviews like this that scare me! This came from audioreview.com

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

to answer your question:

I just bought 9/10 shape Servo 15a with X-30 (no manual, box, etc) for $650 + delivery (nice ride to NJ). Unit was over a year old.

When I was looking into selling my PW-2200, I was thinking about $450-$550; to get into this range you need to get from SVS a used 20-39 + amp, so around $500 would be a good starting point. I bought mine PW from a dealer, as open box, for $600 about 2 years ago.

It might not be a fast sale - shipping costs are high, so look at local buyers.

As Tom said, PW is a very good woof; for me I will keep it untill I upgrade all my HT speakers, and add PJ.

_zjt

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
What is it with you Alan? You had to go looking around to find someone who doesn't like SVS? Don't you feel vindicated now? I got news for you. There is nothing out there, made by any manufacturer, that is 100% well received. Somebody will bitch about anything, even free beer. You seem to be a glass half empty kind of guy, if you can excuse the saying.

You've already said you've never heard the SVS subs. So you have zero credibility on judging them. All you seem to be doing is playing spoiler, as if you have been given the mission from on high to make all of us rethink our views. And you've not even listened to them. You're sounding ridiculous and whining at this point, and I have to wonder if you really fit into a social forum experience. We try to keep the signal to noise ratio high around here, and you seem determined to just make noise.

Norman Short

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'd take audioreview with a grain of salt. There was a guy over there a while back that was slamming ACI and calling it plastic junk, which could not be further from the truth. Then there are those that say ACI is just another speaker company taking advantage of nOrh's success. Fact is, ACI has been building and selling factory direct for over 25 years (longer than some of you folks have been alive)! Hell, I was only 5 myself!

So why am I mentioning ACI in a thread concerning SVS? Because one or two negative "reviews" cannot be taken very seriously when there are hundreds of positive reviews to the contrary.

As a DIY subwoofer builder, I have absolutely no reason to purchase a sub from any manufacturer because I know I can exceed their performance for equal or less money. But if I were in the market for a sub, SVS would be at the top of a very short list. The fact that I understand the design process of building a sub makes it very easy for me to realize that an SVS sub would be superior to most others out there similarly or even higher priced.

So look at audioreview and other sites like it, but don't put too much faith in the reviews when you really don't know what someone's motivation/agenda is.

Brian

Mark KU

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Since I got yelled at earlier in the thread, here's my response.

I did not "tell" Alan SVS was the only option. I was referring to his thread where he considered SVS, then discarded it because he couldn't see/hear one. I asked about him hearing the Paradigm because he didn't mention in his thread if he had or not.

I admit, I did take a dig at him because of the price he's paying for his paradigm. From others that posted in his thread, it appears he's not getting a very good price, but he's buying it anyways instead of looking into other options.

Regardless, if I offended anyone in my post, I'm sorry. I did not intend to annoy anyone, but I was finding Alan's posts a bit grating, which he is now continuing in this thread. I'll now take my leave and stay out of this discussion.

Mark

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Mark and others.

I'm done with this thread myself. The main point that got this going is that I would like to listen to these subs before buying them. I hope the person who owns a pair in northern Kentucky contacts me so I can, but I guess it's too late for that.

I am sure they sound great when properly setup. And I have been castigated vigorously for my questioning T.V. and his motives. He does not seem to push SVS on anyone as some others here have.

Yes, I want the best bang for the buck, that is why I am upgrading from the Velo CT-120. But for my money, the PW-2200 is the best that "I have heard"!

BTW, I did make a few calls and got the price down to $700 even.

The HTF is a great place for discussions and debates. I have gotten much needed help here when needed. Peace!

ling_w

Second Unit
I'd take audioreview with a grain of salt.

Yes, I would take their review with a grain of salt, but in being wary of the positive reviews. There are many instances where one product has very high rating, but its sister product (usually one that hasn't been submitted to review) receiving much much lower rating. This seems mainly due to the sister product attracting only people looking specifically for that unit as opposed to the joe six pack getting lured to the popular unit.

Also, you'll find dirt cheap products that has almost a 5 star rating. It all depends on what part of spectrum the reviewer came from. If a owner of the Wilson WAMM was looking for a sub and hear the SVS was the best, period. He might not think they are special, return them and get the MAXX w/the african zebrawood to match his WAMM. But for the HT in a box guys, the SVS would probably be the greatest thing in the world. Now you have to see home many WAMM guys there are vs the number of HTIAB people.

I just use audioreview to boost my ego on the products that I've already purchased, and if it for something that I am thinking of purchasing, I would pay more attention to the negative comments that has substance in order to find out the shortcoming of the unit.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ling,
I actually meant to take audioreview with a grain of salt period. Overly positive or negative reviews. As a matter of fact, I take all of audioreview, even the discussion boards, with a grain of salt because there are just too many trolls hanging around waiting to pounce on anyone or anything. If I want that type of atmosphere, I'll just go hang out at the mall with the rest of the 15 year olds.:)
Brian

Heath_R

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Audioreview is to be taken with a grain of salt. It is only human nature, you only want to comment on a product if you are knocked out by it or pissed you bought it. Many people also give products they don't like that much glowing reviews as a way to try and justify a purchase. You can find a negative review of anything, here is a negative review of the 2200.

Summary:

This sub is wayyy over priced. I tried it for 2 weeks and it didnt perform like a much cheaper sub performed. I took it back.

Strengths:

none

Weaknesses:

too damn expensive and too boomy

Does it mean anything? No. You can't put your faith in these things. This guy might no know good bass beat him on the head.

About 450 sounds good for the resale on that sub, but shipping is going to be a bear.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but there is no reason to make a personal attack at anyone. I have never seen Tom be anything but helpful to people, unless someone jumps in and attacks him personally along with his business. We are all adults and there is no need for that.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Canadians buying SVS subs is like Americans buying Paradigm. Us canadians can get Paradigm for WAY CHEAPER than what the US guys can get them for, and the US guys can get the SVS subs for way cheaper than us canadians. It comes down to personal preference really. I won't be buying an SVS anytime soon (hopefulyl someday though) simply because DIY is more of a viable option for me and my budget, not to mention the pleasure I will be getting out of a sub that I put my sweat and (hopefully not) blood into.

I don't know where some guys get the idea's that Ron or Tom are on the forum to push their product??? I mean, look at the top of this topic, Tom even said himself that the PW-2200 is a GOOD product, and I've heard him say it about many other products. Now how many salesman will tell you to stick with what you have, or to go with another brand that will suite your needs more than an SVS will??? NO ONE

So Ron, Tom, keep up the awsome work, and continue helping us in the never ending quest for a heavenly home theater. Someday I hope to be able to say that I myself am the proud owner of your products.

Mark KU

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
(woops, I'm back, but unrelated)

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I live in Michigan, near Windsor. I'm seriously considering taking a trip up north to audition a 5 piece Paradigm setup when I'm ready to replace my current hodge-podge system. The price savings seems unbeatable.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Mark,

Have you investigated Paradigm costs in Windsor vs. going to Pecars or something local? Every now and then I get the urge to replace my Def Tech/bipolar system with Paradigm Studio series products but have only been to Pecars to price/listen. Wasn't sure if the savings would be negated by the border duty.

Kevin

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Quick scan of the AR reviews...I saw 2 pretty bad reports.

One from a guy named *rcik* who never owned a SVS(when the review was first posted...we went back in our files and searched through every name in the entire state.

Even if a guy cannot spell his own name...I guess it's enough evidence to hang ron and me out to dry though?

The other guy...was something like...*18herbush* from intercourse PA.(seriously).

So I can see how some anonymous prankster who won't even sign his own name on an internet based *review* should be taken seriously....but the hundreds of customer testimonials from actual SVS owners(along with what...about a half dozen professional reviews?) circulating around the net are pooh-poohed for whatever reason. Yes, that makes perfect sense?

As far as the type of car Ron drives(because it is every forum member's business obviously?)...I don't even know. If it is a Benz paid for by SVS...that should only make current SVS owners extremely secure as its a great indicator of a very healthy company that will be around for a long time.

Is there anything else(personal or professional) you would like to waste more of my time with Alan...maybe what type of car I drive...or what I had for dinner last night?

TV

Cam S

Screenwriter
Tom, I heard that you drive a Caprice, is this true???
Hehehe, just joking :D
Question for you though, how much would it cost to ship an SVS PCi or a single CS+ up to Kelowna British Columbia, Canada??

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Gentlemen, the time has come for me to step into this thread and get it back on track. There seems to be a problem, as I see it, with certain members doing partial research and drawing quick conclusions without having all the facts. I have not heard or seen an SVS sub yet in person but after reading the posts in this thread, even I got annoyed with some of the responses. From this point on, I strongly suggest to others to get all of the facts before commenting or "thread farting". If this proves impossible for some members to do, they WILL risk getting canned from this forum!
As some have already mentioned, Tom and Ron have been valuable, providing hundreds of answers to our questions regarding these subs. Just look at the volume of SVS threads on this forum to get an understanding of this.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
To get back on topic.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $500 USD for a new PW2200. So I would think $450-$550 would be pushing it for used (especially sense you could get a SVS 25-31PCi for $550USD new and it would out perform a PW2200 by a little bit).

I think a fair price used would be in the $300-$350 range.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Michael:

When you do get around to a price on your sub send me the information and I will put it up on our User Subwoofer page.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks