What's new

Putting sand in a stage? (1 Viewer)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
When putting sand into a stage. Do you fill it up all the way to the tippy top? Almost to the top? Half-way or some other way?

Thanks

FYI the stage I have is 14" high.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Orlando:

Most fill it pretty much full. The first and primary reason for using it is to get rid of the large "air gap" that would result in your stage functioning like some huge hollow drum. You are trying to get rid of the "hollow," and if you leave it only halfway full, you are merely going to change the frequency at which it will pick up sound from the speakers, and continue to amplify it and extend it and cause it to reverberate.

In the many pictures I have seen, most put down plastic (often they lined each cavity between the bracing or studs with plastic liners). Then, they filled each pretty much all of the way to the top. They did not "pack it in" or try to "stamp it down" or compact it in any way. They just filled it close to the brim, and then covered it over with the top.

Also, everyone insists you must use very dry sand.

Hope this is what you were looking for,

-Bruce
-Custom Home Theater Intros on DVD: http://www.S2Digital.com

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bruce,

Pretty much what I thought. But you know how it is you start doing things and then start doubting yourself. Just needed some confirmation.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of my research said that sand was not the way to go. What I was told to do, and did, was use fiberglass insulation 2-3 times the normal amount. My stage is 5 1/2" high and I stuffed it with 12" of insulation. Sure is a lot less messy and time consuming. And it works great!

David

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit

If it is a riser, to raise seats, then regular fiberglass batts are the way to go.

If it is a stage, and if a subwoofer is going to sit on top of that stage, then fiberglass will not keep the stage from vibrating and picking up every harmonic frequency, and then "running" with it. This is when sand is required.

IF you are not placing your subwoofer on top of the stage, of course, then standard fiberglass batts will do just fine.

Hope this helps,

-Bruce
-Custmized Intros for your Home Theater on DVD: http://www.S2Digital.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks