What's new

Pushing Daisies Season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I didn't really like it. I wanted to but it just rang as a bit too cutesy for me. I'll give it another shot though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It'd be a slam dunk if they could get Burton to direct an ep. Sweeney Todd is due in December, so he might just have a hole in his schedule.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I don't think they intended that connection, because that consequence hadn't been introduced yet. Drawing on the show's internal logic as well, the re-animating of the fly is separated from Ned's mother's death by a playdate with Chuck, distancing the two events by too long an amount of time for them to be related.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Even if there wasn't another episode of this show, the pilot episode was worth the price of admission. I was a little apprehensive about the potential angst in having a loved one that you couldn't touch, but they hit the right note there.

I agree, tho, that they may have a hard time keeping it up. Time will tell.

As an aside, I'm amused that Chi McBride is involved with another project with dead people. (as well as The Frighteners.)

Jason

RafaelB

Second Unit

The first thought to me was "Amelie" as well, Derek. And, while I thought it was almost a blatant rip-off of it (the fairy tale narration, whimsical romance, exaggerated camera angles) it still charmed me entirely.

I hope they do keep it in it's world but try to be less "Amelie-esque" and more "Daisies."

And a one-eyed Swoosie Kurtz rocked!

Rafael.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I really liked the one-eye joke, were the aunt couldn't see Chuck, but they picked the wrong eye/side.

Right. I imagine some other nearby fly or insect died an unnatural death at the one minute mark to balance things. His mother died of natural causes (the narrator said brain aneurysm).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
How do we know the brain aneurysm isn't the agent of balance for the fly's ressurection? I was under the impression that the kitchen scene with the fly and the kitchen scene with the death were all one scene, that the playdate had already happened and (watching Chuck across the street) was what spurred Ned to flashback to it.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
here is the role that Molly Shannon plays

Salt water taffy shop owner that moves in next to the Pie Hole

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Dummy episode - good and still lots of fun.

I enjoyed Olive singing "Hopelessly Devoted to You" and having the floor waxer/cleaner do his thing in the background as she was singing.

I liked Ned's invention to his car so he and Chuck can ride up front together and the addition of the glove, in order to hold hands.

we learned new things about Chuck and Emerson.
Like Emerson loves to knit in his quiet time and Chuck can speak Japanese.
So many unusual things in the show so far.

The Dandelion SX car "It will blow you away" :lol

Wondering if they spent all the budget on those two dandelion cars :)

I will always see the crash test dummy killer/Mark Chase as Professor Hank Landry from Veronica Mars

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
After the fly comes back to life, Ned looks out the window and sees Chuck outside with the miniature town of houses made of cardboard. We then see them outside destroying the town, then Ned is back inside being "broomed" by his mother. When Ned's mother comes back to life, we see Chuck's dad fall over and the cardboard houses are destroyed.

The state of the houses are what tells me that the playdate happens in between.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another solid episode with no fall-off in character interplay and story-telling.

I'm sorry, but the position of that glove had my mind thinking bad thoughts... :D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Thank god I was not the only one :) Thanks Patrick for making me feel a slight bit less creepy!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Grease is one of my favorite all-time favorites, so it was great to hear "Hopelessly Devoted To You" performed by a broadway quality performer (Kristin Chenoweth).

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
They again capitalized on Chenewith's lack of size... this time, using the fact that she's 1/3 as wide as Chi McBride.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is a fun show. I'm glad to see Sonnenfeld involved with something of quality. It's been a while. I'm also baffled by the accusations of this being such a blatant ripoff of things like Amelie and Burton. Can't anyone do a fairy-tale show and not be accused of such absurd things?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm just not feeling this show i'm sorry to say, the second episode was very cute but outside of that it didn't really do much else for me.

I've also become obsessed with watching how closely Ned and Chuck come to touching! I couldn't take my eyes off their elbows and got scared when they would be within an inch of each other. :frowning:

As soon as she started singing 'Hopelessly Devoted' I could practically FEEL half of the viewing public tuning out and thought to myself "this show is toast".

High concept AND musical numbers, there's no way the general viewing public will stand for that in this day and age. Again this isn't me talking, I liked the musical number i'm simply saying there's no way the public at large will continue to support this show, I can feel it in my gut, guys.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

and yet high number of people will watch countless drivel like American Idol, Singing Bee and so forth. Shows that don't have any style and is most of the times talentless.

I for one am in love with this show and is the best kind of storytelling ever.
It's sad when the avergae TV viewer can't see this

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I do think this is walking a very thin line - I like the nifty Barry Sonnenfeld visuals and odd fantasy storylines, and some of the lines do slay me ("and Digby considered how much he loved salt..."), I do have moments when I think, man, is this overly precious. That musical number, for instance, just seemed to go on forever and didn't really earn its time.

And as much as I like her, Kristen Chenowerth could be dropped from the show with practically no ill effect.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I never meant to imply that the show was a blatant rip-off of 'Amelie', only that it reminded me strongly and used some elements from it. It's the curse of watching waaaay too many movies and TV shows. In the end, it will be the stories and the characters that develop within the series' continuity that will keep me interested or make me tune out.

I liked the second episode. Very interesting balance of a lot of different tones. Ned is not the typical main character as he's so passive. I was going to say that he has to deal with two very active personalities in Chuck and Emerson, but I can't say that Emerson is even that strong of will, though he and Chuck are definitely at odds. One of my favorite bits in the second episode was the conflicting approaches of Emerson and Chuck in stealing an access badge.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I know, it sucks. While I don't really care for the show right now I am able to see how well crafted it is. Where as we, the members at HTF, look at it and see how beautiful, well acted, well structured and different it is because we notice and appreciate that kind of thing most people will look at and think it's just plain weird and I think it's reasonably safe to assume they outnumber us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks