Purchasing new tv in the near future

Discussion in 'Displays' started by drty070x, May 4, 2007.

1. drty070x

drty070x Extra

I will be purchasing a new tv in the near future. I'm thinking in about 6 months since that's when the remodeling should be complete. Either way I''ll be around 10' - 12' away from the tv. I'm thinking around a 56" tv should be sufficient, plus I'll only have around 2k to spend. I'm wondering what tvs should I researching? I was thinking either the Sony SXRD or the Samsung projection. I would like to get a 1080p tv unless it's not worth the extra cash. I noticed that Samsung is now selling the LED line and Sony has the new A3000 line coming out. Are these going to be worth looking at? Also I'm not stuck on Sony or Samsung. I'm just looking for some ideas on the brand/model of tv to research. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.
    I forgot to mention that this will be the main tv in the house. It will be used for tv, movies, & gaming.

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

If you intend to view standard DVDs and SD programming, stay away from Samsung and the "macro-blocking" monster. The Sony SXRD's do not have this issue and are a much better choice for non-HD viewing.

3. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Take a look at the JVC HD-ILA sets also. 12' back on a 56", you might not be able to tell the diff between 720p and 1080p.

In six months you will have a whole new set of TV's to consider, so youll probably be asking this question again, with new model #'s to consider...

4. hodedofome

hodedofome Stunt Coordinator

What do standard dvd's and SD programming have to do with macro-blocking? Just curious.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Samsung had lousy upconversion up until last year's models resulting in lots of macroblocking when watching 480i or 480p sources. This is largely gone in current models but they still have lots of video noise (looks like "snow" due to poor analog reception on a regular tv) with less than perfect HD sources, especially in dark parts of the picture.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

1080p rptvs in the 55"+ range at about 2k are already here--list on a Toshiba 57HM197 is $1699, 2199 for the 65". These are newly released models. The 1080p version of the 56" JVC should also be available for about 2k if you look hard enougn. Expect to see similar attractive pricing on upcoming models from other mfgs. in 6 months or so.

7. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Macro-blocking is evident in many HD broadcasts, but it is much less severe. I don't know the exact cause, but macro-blocking is definitely worse and more evident with SD programming. For the most part, heavier video compression = heavier macro-blocking. It is particularly severe in longer movies (and thus more compression) and movies with lots of dark scenes. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is a great example, and is almost unbearable to watch on my Samsung.