What's new

Purchased "Caddyshack" after the warning & WB logo nothing happens - anyone have this problem (1 Viewer)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

If the disc played fine I can understand their doubt, but when it didn't and a 2nd disc didn't - please give me a refund - apparently there is a problem. FRY's should not turn it it to a criminal case and set out to prove that something they make a $7 dollar profit on is now the trial of the century ( and take up a half hour of my time doing so.)

As a result - no longer will I or some of my friends shop there anymore - It's not like their the only game in town, there are many other retailers in town who also have low prices for electronics.

If FRY's aim is to lose customers, then they're doing a great job!

GM - I think you are still directing this in the wrong direction.

Because the Caddyshack Blu-ray is fine. It just needs to be played on a system that can support it. If there was an authoring problem, then it would be widespread & manifest itself on all the BD discs (and that has happened before).

You keep getting mad at Fry's, but it's like you buying computer software that your computer could not support, but then getting mad at the retailer for your computer not being up to date.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMpasqua
This whole Firmware business is unbelievable. DVD players did not have "Firmware". Software should be playable on all players, and if not There should be a note printed in the product stating so. Unlike a PC or Mac a blu-ray player is not a computer.

Actually, DVD players did (and do) have firmware. My first player (a Toshiba) had an issue playing a DVD from a small studio. When I contacted Toshiba, they informed me that there was a firmware update available. I could take it into an authorized service center and get the update. However, since the unit was out of warranty, I would have had to pay for it.

Blu-ray players are most certainly computers. (For that matter, so are DVD players.) They may be specialized computers, but they are computers.

In reality, after my experience with that DVD player firmware issue, I appreciate the fact that BD players will allow you to update firmware at home for free.

cagwa

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
My first dvd player was also a Toshiba and had to go to service center twice for 2 firmware updates. Each time it was because it would not play a newer disk. It is so much easier now to update the firmware on my ps3. Firmware updates are definitely not a new thing for disk players.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by David Deeb

GM - I think you are still directing this in the wrong direction.

Because the Caddyshack Blu-ray is fine. It just needs to be played on a system that can support it. If there was an authoring problem, then it would be widespread & manifest itself on all the BD discs (and that has happened before).

You keep getting mad at Fry's, but it's like you buying computer software that your computer could not support, but then getting mad at the retailer for your computer not being up to date.

This isn't a firmware issue. In this particular case WB is aware of the problem

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Greg,

I do agree with you that under the circumstances the Fry's manager should have refunded your money -- especially after determining that the disc would not play in any of the store's BD players, either. Unfortunately, at big box stores you will frequently run into poor managers who cannot think for themselves and can only read a store policy.

However, you still need to keep the firmware updated on your player. As others have pointed out, a BD player is in fact a computer. Heck, it even runs Java!

BTW, my old Panasonic RP-91 dvd player had its firmware upgraded numerous times. There were actually people who sought out the latest firmware on newly manufactured units, got the firmware off it and made it available on the Internet for folks to download. On this particular model, newer firmware could result in better playback image quality or additional features being added. I must have updated my player at least three times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks