PT 109 / Naked and the Dead

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ernest, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

PT 109 (story of Jack Kennedy and his Navy experience commanding a PT boat in WW II) and The Naked and the Dead are two very good Cliff Robertson WW II movies not on Blu-ray. Both titles have recently been broadcast on movie channels in 1080i and I was fortunate to record a copy of each in 480i. Better than nothing but I would love to be able to purchase each on Blu-ray. Her is hoping the studios or someone like Twilight or Criterion will release a Blu-ray of each in the near future.

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    PT 109 is available on DVD via the Warner Archive, while The Naked and the Dead is owned by Warner but not released on any format. I guess there's always a chance that PT 109 may get one of the WA Blu-ray releases, but no one really knows what films will be coming from them beyond the four they initially announced.

3. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Brandon since I recorded both in 480i from a broadcast in 1080i they are similar in quality to DVD. I watched both the other day and they are formatted correctly 16 x 9 and the video quality is very good for DVD. There is no incentive for me to buy either title on DVD I will wait for the Blu-ray which may never happen.

4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I've love a great looking Blu of, The Naked & The Dead. I can still remember seeing it on the telly in the early sixties, & the scene where the guy gets bitten by a snake, starts frothing at the mouth & dies almost straight away. I saw it a couple of years ago on a rubbish TV satellite channel, it was pan & scan, & the picture was very green, but it still had that power, & not forgetting that great Bernard Herrmann score.