"Psych" Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Thanks. I am going to have to remember this! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good episode, not great. I would have liked more Shawn and Abigail, since I though the A plot with O'Hara's brother was kind of half-assed.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I liked how Abigail said she would be back on Feb 24th, which just happens to be on a Wednesday.
I think this is the best Rachael Leigh Cook has looked on Psych.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
She's always looked great on "Psych". Some teen movie stars let themselves go after they age out of the roles and into obscurity. Not her.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I recall very vividly being 16 and seeing the TV ad for Tom & Huck and thinking to myself that I thought the movie looked terrible, but that girl was the cutest/hottest girl around my age I had been fortunate to see (I'm 7 months older than her).

Every episode of Psych she's in brings it all back to the forefront.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
As an aside, the third Psych novel came out a couple of weeks ago (by William Rabkin -- all evoke the show pretty well actually) and advertises Psych as airing on Fridays. Guess they changed the day after the print deadline.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The opening scene with Shawn lying on the couch, and saying he memorized the Army jingle, reminds me so much of my childhood... watching a lot of TV and getting commercial jingles stuck in my head.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good episode tonight. As much as I like Shawn and Abigail together, the show has really suffered this season from the lack of Shawn trying to seduce and beguile Jules.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Really liked last night's episode. I wonder if they're gonna get Shawn to fully spit out his feelings for Juliet by the end of this season or not. I can see his lack of being able to say it fully at the hospital biting him in the ass a bit.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I've missed every episode of the most recent season of Psych thus far. I really don't like it on Wednesdays. I have to remember to tape it.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have to say that I didn't really like last weeks episode (the security consultant). I hope tonights is better. Last week Sean came across more jerky and less funny. He was starting to make me really dislike him.

I hope it was just because he lost his mojo for a while and he will be himself when he gets it back.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked tonight's episode. It felt like classic "Psych", in that there was nothing getting away from Shawn and Gus against Lassie and O'Hara on a mystery. Next week's episode looks intense; as Ally Sheedy's Mr. Yang is the most outright terrifying character in the show's history.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When Mr. Yang is around, this show suddenly leaps into a much higher level of quality. The mysteries are sharper, Shawn is actually challenged, we see characters pushed to their breaking points, just really compelling television: it's the only time when the show takes the crime at the center seriously. Not as good as last year's season finale, but definitely the best episode all season.

I missed the tail end of the episode, just saw what looked like a library. Did they reveal who Mr. Yin is?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

When Mr. Yang is around, this show suddenly leaps into a much higher level of quality. The mysteries are sharper, Shawn is actually challenged, we see characters pushed to their breaking points, just really compelling television: it's the only time when the show takes the crime at the center seriously. Not as good as last year's season finale, but definitely the best episode all season.

I missed the tail end of the episode, just saw what looked like a library. Did they reveal who Mr. Yin is?
Yeah, it's kind of crazy how a show that's 99% a comedy can suddenly jump into a serious situation, and have it work really well, like these two episodes did. They didn't seem to show who he is, no. They showed Yin in a house, and then reaching down to stroke a picture frame, that zoomed in to show I believe it was Yang with a young Shawn, though I couldn't tell for sure. Sounds like you might have seen that part, though I think it was a warehouse of some kind, it looked more like cardboard boxes on the shelf. Then it faded out and they did the Psych-out, so I don't think you actually missed anything.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for letting me know. I guess they Mr. Yin and Mr. Yang are going to become the backbone of at least a skeletal mythology for the show.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Steve Franks has said that his inspirations for "Psych" were light detective shows from the 80s such as Moonlighting and Magnum P.I. The latter is probably fair to be called "light", but would also tweak the formula by throwing in some pretty heavy episodes from time to time. I have liked the two Ying-Yang episodes, but I would not want things to tilt completely in that direction because then it would be too much like other gloomy procedurals that are all over the dial these days.

Regards,

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Wholeheartedly agree, Ken. It's the comic episodes being the norm that allows for the occasional serious episode to be such a nice contrast.

So, it appears that Abigail is officially gone. Can't say I blame her, but it'll be interesting to see how they handle Shaun having put himself on the line like that only to get rejected, and to see how they handle Juliet reacting to being chosen second. Obviously she'll be able to understand it from a police procedural perspective, but on a personal level that's gotta feel hard. Last year the show creators stated that seeing Shaun within a relationship was one side of a the same coin, and that Shaun might have to see what it's like to see Juliet in a serious relationship in the future. So her boyfriend from a few episodes ago will likely re-appear next season, especially since they planned another meeting one year later.

Loved all the Hitchcock references. The remote control crop duster was awesome!

As for who Mr. Yin is - if we're going with the premise that both Yang (in the photo with Shaun from 1989-ish) and Yin were friends of the family back then some serious things could go down when Yin returns. It's probably Yang's husband, but the why and the how should be interesting. Perhaps a former partner/associate of his father?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I really miss Psych being on Friday evenings. I haven't been able to catch one episode of the newest season yet.

So, this Friday night, we watched the pilot of Psych, which fans know is included on Monk, season five. I liked it a lot. And I had completely forgotten that Jules isn't in the pilot. I kept seeing this blonde with Lassiter, and it wasn't Jules -- LOL.

There really is only one solution. The DVDs must be purchased. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks