What's new

"Psych" Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Also laughed at the end, when they seemingly telegraph him finally throwing (the phone) on target... and then he completely missed yet again, among a bunch of other moments.

Edit: One other thing I was a little surprised at was when Shawn mentioned having "the yips" that they didn't end up manifesting in his observational skills. With his emphasis on his chili cheese fries or whatever it was, I thought that'd be the direction they went in... and then the fries would've actually been sitting in front of him the whole time.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by Joe_H

Also laughed at the end, when they seemingly telegraph him finally throwing (the phone) on target... and then he completely missed yet again, among a bunch of other moments.
Yeah, I loved the fact that he missed - and yet still saved the day by distracting the guy long enough for Lassie to act.

Edit: One other thing I was a little surprised at was when Shawn mentioned having "the yips" that they didn't end up manifesting in his observational skills.
But he's had the yips WRT to that throw to first since he was a kid, and it never affected his skills up until now.

Regards,

Joe

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

But he's had the yips WRT to that throw to first since he was a kid, and it never affected his skills up until now.
Good point on that one, hadn't thought of that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
As much as I love the comedic aspects of this show during dialogue regarding a serious crime, I am finding that I am treasuring the times that Shawn becomes very serious when trying to piece together bits of evidence. This occurred a couple of times in this episode. One in particular was when he was deducing who was being targeted.

Another aspect of the show that I love -- and it doesn't happen all that often -- is when the bad guy is actually one-up on Shawn. I think it took place in a relatively recent episode, and it too was a sight to behold. (The one that comes to mind is the episode in which the guest star practically told Shawn his every move before it happened.) This show is first-rate in so many ways.

A rare moment for me occurred when I called the mailbox explosion -- right after Jules uttered a line and moved away, I felt that the mailbox was history via a bomb. But, I thought the officer would be killed, and not merely injured.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

A rare moment for me occurred when I called the mailbox explosion -- right after Jules uttered a line and moved away, I felt that the mailbox was history via a bomb. But, I thought the officer would be killed, and not merely injured.
If he was just a redshirt officer, he probably would have been. But McNab is the one uniform officer that the show has taken time to develop, so he's in that sweet spot where he's not important enough for his death to be shocking but too important to kill off without giving a second thought to.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

If he was just a redshirt officer, he probably would have been. But McNab is the one uniform officer that the show has taken time to develop, so he's in that sweet spot where he's not important enough for his death to be shocking but too important to kill off without giving a second thought to.
Adam,

Excellent point. And for my own part, I do like the character. He's grown on me a bit since I first saw him a few episodes ago.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I love the variant theme songs. Can't believe they got Boyz II Men to do that.
I like them when they're for a "special" episode, but now that they've done two for no reason it's annoying.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show has a major horror fetish. And was that Larisa Oleynik as the goth sister? If so, this show also has a thing for resurrecting discarded female leads from 90's teen comedies.

Neither is a bad thing, in my book.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I googled it after you mentioned that, and apparently yes, she did play the goth sister, according to a (sort of creepily obsessive ) fansite.

... Though admittedly, even more creepy is the fact that Google's search suggestions popped up "larisa oleynik murdered" as soon as I finished typing her name.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

This show has a major horror fetish. And was that Larisa Oleynik as the goth sister? If so, this show also has a thing for resurrecting discarded female leads from 90's teen comedies.

Neither is a bad thing, in my book.
Yep, Alex Mack. I couldn't get used to seeing her with that color hair (although my daughter loved it). We've completed the first season of TSWOAM on DVD, and recognized her right away.

I really thought that Shawn's father was going to win the truck. And, I was dead wrong about the other guy -- I figured he had to be telling a lie to get Shawn's father to give up.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I only vaguely remembered The Secret World of Alex Mac from catching bits and pieces if something caught my eye while I was flipping around the TV dial) (But as I recall it was more low-rent SF than horror, since she got her powers from a chemical spill and there were no supernatural overtones that I remember.)

I really thought that Shawn's father was going to win the truck. And, I was dead wrong about the other guy -- I figured he had to be telling a lie to get Shawn's father to give up.
I wasn't sure if he'd get it or not. I could see the writers going either way. But I absolutely thought the orphan story was totally bogus. Even after the nun and kids showed up I figured they would turn out to be actors hired for the job or his own wife and kids.

Their arrival did make a nice capper to the running "You did that impossibly fast" gag.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

In a way, it's sort of worse that he wasn't lying. Instead of being angry at his nemesis for deceiving him, he has to live with his nemesis's cause being more worthwhile than his own selfish desire for a new truck. One of those things that helps ground Shawn's father as adult, one of only two on the show really (with the Chief).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

...he has to live with his nemesis's cause being more worthwhile than his own selfish desire for a new truck. One of those things that helps ground Shawn's father as adult, one of only two on the show really (with the Chief).
Two excellent points. Underneath all the snarky one-liners this show has both a bran and a heart, and that's part of what makes it so good.

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

In a way, it's sort of worse that he wasn't lying. Instead of being angry at his nemesis for deceiving him, he has to live with his nemesis's cause being more worthwhile than his own selfish desire for a new truck. One of those things that helps ground Shawn's father as adult, one of only two on the show really (with the Chief).
And in another way, perhaps this is the best thing that could have happened to Shawn's father as he may mature considerably from the experience and gain more wisdom as a result.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Usually a "fall finale" on USA Network just means that the show has burned through it's first eight episodes; if you watch the season straight through on DVD you'd never know there was a pause. This show has always embraced the eight episodes, holiday special, seven episodes format, and Friday's episode felt like a game changer. Much like "An Evening with Mr. Yang" last season, it was a treat getting to see Shawn operating seriously and showcasing his brilliance out in the open. I think this was the first episode since the pilot that we got a glimpse of where Shawn lives. I'd begun to think he just crashed at the Psych office.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

I wasn't sure if he'd get it or not. I could see the writers going either way. But I absolutely thought the orphan story was totally bogus. Even after the nun and kids showed up I figured they would turn out to be actors hired for the job or his own wife and kids.

Their arrival did make a nice capper to the running "You did that impossibly fast" gag.

Regards,

Joe

The nemesis (Butch Solinski) was played by Thomas F. Wilson who I recognized immediately as Biff from Back to the Future. Hard to picture him as a good guy. I thought for sure the nun & kids were part of a con.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Thanks for the reminder. I've been watching for it every week, but not on Wednesdays. I've been checking Friday evenings for the past month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks