What's new

Pssst! What's everyone talking about in the "Eternal Buffy-tastic" marathon thread? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Our friend Jeff Kleist started that thread in "After Hours." It grew so big that Parker had to start a new one. And now look at the size of it.
Well, folks, I've only seen a couple of episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. *crowd gasps, followed by stunned silence* I know, by reading the critics, the show is smartly written and has a huge fan base. Like other cult series (Star Trek in its many incarnations, X Files), the show has generated it own folklore, its own mythos.
But I gotta ask: What in the beejeezuz are all you guys talking about in that never-ending thread? Are you all forming a secret society of some sort? Do you have your own "word-association" mini-thread going on in there?
I'd browse through the thing, but since I don't know the lore surrounding that show, I'd be lost.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I am not posting in there a lot but I read every single post. :) I got hooked to Buffy/Angel because of this thread. At the moment they are discussing the relevance of numbers on the shirts of the characters. I think Buffy had an 8 last night.
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Actually, all the conversation in the Buffy thread is coded as we can't really tell other people what we are talking about. Trust me, this is for your own protection. For example, all the talk about numbered shirts is really talk about ... Ooops, I almost slipped there. If I told you we would have to kill you. :)
Deborah
------------------

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since I've been watching the FX Buffy episodes from the beginning, I've been getting a handle on the Buffy/Slayer Lore. I decided to go ahead and watch the UPN Buffy episodes (I saw much of Season 5 in reruns on the WB during the summer, so I'm up on the climatic events that occured last season). I did the same with the Angel show, and found it funny and grim all rolled into one.
Once I get through the FX Buffy shows, I expect to be up on Buffy, but what I've seen of the Season 1 and 2 shows, I like enough to watch the rest. Some of it is formulaic, but the character interaction provides the glue throughout the series, and I'm constantly entertained by Xander's comments, just too funny.
I'm impressed with the physicality of Sarah Michelle Geller in the role of Buffy. The moves aren't the easiest in the world, and I'm sure her stunt double get the brunt of the scenes when Buffy gets thrown against walls/etc, but she does stuff you wouldn't see your average actress do in a TV show on a weekly basis. SMG appears pretty docile, but once the action commences, she takes no prisoners.
Plus, you get to see the maturation of the characters as they go from high school to the adult world (if you followed the show).
It's not a perfect show, but it's entertaining enough for me.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jeff already saw it, Lord Whedon thanks and blesses you for your loyalty :)
Jack, that's Buffytastic ™ , one word, with the trademark
wink.gif

Buffytastic ™ (adj)- Something of unspeakable joy and perfection, usually brought on by and exceptional episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Due to it's unequalability by any other form of joy, it carries a trademark
wink.gif

Buffy is a show of many layers, it can be discussed on the base level, "That was a great fight", the humor "Line of the night", and the overall arc of the story. Each and every week things go bad, go good, you never know. Joss Whedon pulls your emotions all across the board.
Most fans of the show have a deep respect for Joss and his crew. It's not easy to produce something of this high quality each and every week.
OK, sometimes I go a little crazy and start metting out penance of doubting Most Perfect's plan
Oh and Patrick, 10 hail Josses for you!
biggrin.gif

Jeff " Insane High Priest o' Joss" Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on October 24, 2001 at 04:12 PM]

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Just like the show our Buffytastic thread has regulars, guests, and recurring posters!
Really the thread is kept alive by the weekly shows. Most of the time its a small discussion about the most recent episode and the most recent Angel episode. During the longer breaks (ALL summer) we get into the bigger discussions, but recently there was a huge debate about the season finalie. Actually the debates seem to spark up every few weeks.
If you have a question about an episode (new one or re-run on FX) everyone is more then willing to answer it for you. Or you could hold off until January and rent season 1 DVDs to see what its all about!
JQ
[Edited last by Jason Quillen on October 24, 2001 at 06:19 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think that now the show is in syndication and coming out on DVD, we'll get more vict...fans all the time
wink.gif

Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Hey, we add "color" to the TV section :) That and the fact that it's comforting to know we're always there :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Fanatics? Ok, maybe the creator of our thread *sometimes* searches ebay and other auctions for freaky Joss Whedon items. And *sometimes* he claims to be a high preist of Whedon, and he might even defend Alien 4, but does that make us fanati...oh, I see your point now...
laugh.gif

JQ

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I'll post this here so I don't get my ass kicked at the Buffytastic thread.
My girl loves the show, and I watch it out of support. I've really liked quite a few episodes, but I have to admit the 2 things that bugged me most:
1. The Blond who was the all-powerful bad guy in the last season was totally unconvincing and terrible in her role (my opinion only). Her name was glory, I think?
2. She is topped (in bad acting) by these three new nerds. Again, my opinion only. I keep hoping SMG will just rip their heads off and drink their blood as it flows...sorry, I'm getting carried away.
Don't get me wrong, I like 90% of what goes on in that show. Especially the Faith/Buffy dancing scene.
wink.gif
And Cordelia, I know she's spun off onto Angel now, sure is easy to look at.
biggrin.gif

But I had to get it off of my chest that the last two "main bad guys who last more than one episode" have really jaded me. How does the Buffytastic crowd feel about them?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Glory was SUPPOSED to come off as a total ditz, I thought she was hysterical
Same thing with the Legion of Doom this season, they're really funny. When the true Big Bad shows up, they'll go by the wayside
Fanatics? Ok, maybe the creator of our thread *sometimes* searches ebay and other auctions for freaky Joss Whedon items. And *sometimes* he claims to be a high preist of Whedon, and he might even defend Alien 4, but does that make us fanati...oh, I see your point now...
Hey, I don't defend Alien 4, I just say that even thou Joss's name is on it, he says the final product is nothing like what he wrote. I have never searched Ebay for Joss items either and just because I have a little shri....JPEG of him, doesn't mean anything!
OK, I admit it, I'd pay $30 for a Joss action figure
wink.gif

I'd even settle for Numfar :)
Jeff Kleist

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
I do get that glory and the, what are they called, legion of doom? can't marvel comics sue for that? are supposed to be nerds/ditzes.
Still, so were the Clueless girls, and they didn't irk me like these guys do.
Like I said, I'm not looking to go agro on anyone, and I do like most of what happens on the Buffy show.
It's just the last two villains have been, in my opinion, very lame.
I missed the old Angel leaving Buffy & Faith Goes Bad series of episodes. Those were my faves (and not just because Eliza D is easy on the eyes, although that does have some part, I'm sure).

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
The last two Big Bads have been Glory and Adam/Initiative from season 4. The little bads/villains from episode to episode really have to stand by themselves and only have a show to get beaten by Buffy.
The trio/legend of doom/troika of geeks have been absolutely hilarious so far this year. The Star Wars van stuff is a riot.
Glory as the hell god was alright too, but she around for most of the season last year.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Carlo, I think the Trioka (or Sunnydales Legion of Doom) are hilarious also. I mean, they're villians, but their threat is so minimal that I dont really count them as villians.
Your telling me that when Andrew was spraypainting the deathstar on the side of the van, and the Star Wars song in the horn, didnt get a laugh from you?
These guys arent the Glory of this season. Something these guys do is going to have very real consequences that will be this seasons Glory. In the meantime its fun to sit and watch them screw up.
JQ

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I mean who can ever forget Harmoney (a ditz from HS turned vampire, she's still a ditz) when she decided to become Buffy's arch-nemesis?
I take the Legion of Doom in the same light.
"Harmony...has...minions? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
Jeff Kleist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks