What's new

PSB Stratus vs Paradigm Reference (1 Viewer)

Ron_L

Second Unit
anyone listened to both of these?

going out this weekend for a listen...just wondering what others thought?

Chip E

Screenwriter
I did. I thought the Studio 60's were bright & harsh at the top. I bought the Stratus Silveri 's. Had them for almost two years and really love the sound. I also bought the C6i center & a pair of Image 10S surround's. B&K REF50-Ref200.5 amp drive them beautifully.. My .1 is an SVS 20-39PC.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I preferred the larger Status over the Paradigm 60s->100s. However, I preferred the Paradigm Studio 20s and 40s over both (assuming you have a subwoofer). Enjoy your auditioning...

Chip E

Screenwriter
Ron,

The Stratus Bronze are the first towers in the Stratus line. In fact, i actually listened to them first come to think of it. The dealer i bought my speakers from had James Taylor-"Live At The Beacon" playing through them when i walked in that day. They caught my ear that day.. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I've always loved the PSB Stratus Silvers and Golds. I've yet to hear the Paradigm speakers setup properly so I can't give you much of an idea as to the sound. The setups I've heard so far have been horrific.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
I listened extensively to both the Ref 100's and the Stratus Golds. They're both fantastic speakers. FWIW, I preferred the PSB's, to me they generally sounded fuller, richer, warmer. Basically just better. I liked them so much that I ended up buying some Stratus Minis for the rear speakers in my 7.1 setup to go with the Stratus Golds up front.

IMHO, Paradigm makes some great speakers, in fact, I'm using ADP's for side surrounds, but I really love the sound of my PSB's and of all my speakers, my PSB's and my servo-15 (Paradigm) will be around the longest.

Happy listening this w/end. Like I said, they're both great speakers with the PSB's possbily being tuned for better low end sound (well, from what I've heard anyway). BTW, were you comparing 100's and Golds, 80's and Silvers, or 60's and Bronzes??

Ron_L

Second Unit
well I bought the Studio 60's

The Stratus bronzes are indeed a nice speaker, but they were missing something that the studio 60's had.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I've listened to the Stratus Minis, Silveri's and the Goldi's, and I now own the latter. I've also listened to the Paradigm Reference Studio/60s and 80s, but not the 100s. The Strati, IMHO, were noticably nbetter than the Studios. The Minis are really really good for their size. In fact, I think they image better than their larger brothers, and are clearer too. However, they lack the Stratus Silver/Gold's dynamics, volume and LFE.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I've heard both the Goldi's and the Studio 100's and I found the bass on the Goldi's too boomy and loose. I think the Energy Veritas V2.4's are better than either the 100's or Goldi's IMO.

FrederickR

Grip
I've heard both the Goldi's and the Studio 100's and I found the bass on the Goldi's too boomy and loose. I think the Energy Veritas V2.4's are better than either the 100's or Goldi's IMO.
In my opinion even the Energy connoisseur C-9 is better then those two.

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to the Paradigm Studio 20's and found them nice but somewhat lacking in my room/system. High frequencies can be a bit edgy at times, although detailed they don't possess the layering of various instruments causing the midrange to appear slightly congested. A set of PSB Stratus Mini's are supposed to arrive at my home today for their audition.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If I had the money, I would buy 2 sets of Stratus Minis right now (front & surround) and the C6 centre for the front. Love those speakers.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
it must have been the setup, the stratus bronzes had NO BASS what so ever.
Ron, I don't know if you're second guessing yourself or simply explaining your decision. I wouldn't gut check yourself on this, both of these companies do a lot of acoustic research and they're both really GREAT speakers, especially at the price point. My ears told me the Stratus' were better, but it's not MY ears you need to please.:D

Having said all that, if the Stratus Bronzes had NO BASS whatsoever, then there must have been some problem with the setup because those speakers really pound!!

Ron_L

Second Unit
The stratus' im sure are a good speaker, people wouldn't buy them if they weren't decent, but the setup I was listening to didn't have any bass whatsoever. I tried finding the tonal controls ( damn Sony ) but couldn't find them.

Stratus' tweeter is something else though...woah.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
well that kinda explains it, it was running off a sony receiver? psbs in my opinion need raw ampage to get on their better side....

Chip E

Screenwriter

There's the problem right there... Thin sound right outta the gate. Shouldn't need tone controls either.. My B&K Ref200.5 amp pushes gobbs of power through my Silveri 's. Mucho bass..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks