What's new

PSB Image speakers (1 Viewer)

Keith*D

Agent
I got my polk RTi100's and am very dissappointed with it. It has a great high end (for $350/pair) but as everyone mentioned the midrange is very very weak. No circuit city in the area has the RTi70 for that cheap, so I think I am going to leave to polk line. As of right now I am most interested in the PSB Image line, and possibly Athena, simply b/c I like having a place to take my speakers if there is a problem. So what do you guys recommend?

Athena AS-F2
PSB Image 5T (6T possibly)

I also really like the Mission M71 speaker, but I like having the bass extension of the tower for listening to stereo w/o a sub, because I will be using a CHT-10 until I am in a house, then it is SVS.) If there are no strong opinions I will get the PSB just to try something new.

Wow this place is a bad influence, in the last 60 days, I have purchased an HK reciever, DVD player, R50's, CSi40, and RTi100's, etc... and am selling everything for something new, thanks a lot.

Keith

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
If you are still checking replies...

I own a full set of PSB Image for my HT (5T's, 9C, 2B's, Subsonic6).

Absolutely fantastic. Great value. Don't give it a second thought.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I own a pair of Image 6Ts, and I love them! You can do a search for recent PSB speaker threads, and you'll see mostly positive feedbacks. As for the Athenas, they are gaining quite a few followers. I've demoed the ASF2s (I think) at a local BB. Sounded really good, but I was more impressed with the Yamaha towers they had there. I haven't done a head-to-head test for the PSB vs. the Athenas, but I don't think I'd trade the PSBs for them.

In the end, let your ears decide. Take advantage of BB's return policy and get the Athenas home for a demo. Go to one of the local high (or mid) end stores that carry the PSBs and ask for an in-home trial period. Make sure both sets of speakers are broken in (70-100 hrs) before you do any comparisons.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted :)

Keith*D

Agent
Thanks for the help guys. About taking advantage of BB's policies, I intend to, but I have gotten a price on the PSB 6T's that puts them dead even with the AS-F2, and to be honest I am lusting after the PSB's, and if I get them I am sure I will never look back, I already feel that if I get the Athena's I will wish I had the PSB's, and that is enough for me. So, does starting with the 6T's and the 9c sound good?:D

Keith

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
So, does starting with the 6T's and the 9c sound good?
Without a doubt. I am and have been a PSB fan for years. They make great speakers at an affordable price. When people see and hear my system the first thing they say is that it must have cost thousands of dollars. My current setup is 6t's, 9c,10s for surrounds and Stratus Mini's for the rear. The 6t's are very good for stereo listnening without a sub, the midrange and low frequence extension is fabulous. I can now say that I am in audio bliss. :)

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
minis for the rear? have you tried putting them up front? i mean you won't get as much bass extention but my minis for stereo is really good

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
minis for the rear? have you tried putting them up front?
Yeah, I have had people ask that same question before. And I always tell them that I would have to change my system and buy more speakers. I would have to upgrade my center channel and buy some more rears. Plus I have always been a tower speaker guy, if I went with the Mini's up front, wouldn't I loose a lot of impact? How good do the Mini's sound on movies? Because I would say that 75% of the time is for movies and 25% for music.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks for the help guys. About taking advantage of BB's policies, I intend to, but I have gotten a price on the PSB 6T's that puts them dead even with the AS-F2, and to be honest I am lusting after the PSB's, and if I get them I am sure I will never look back, I already feel that if I get the Athena's I will wish I had the PSB's, and that is enough for me. So, does starting with the 6T's and the 9c sound good?

Keith
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Attempting to sound like Homer Simpson]: Ummmmm, 6Ts with 9C :)

I wish I had bought the 9C with my 6Ts when I had the money. I'm using a HTD Level II center right now, and because my ears have been able to learn differences in sound, I am noticing that the HTD center is brighter than my 6Ts. I'm sure you'll love your 6Ts and 9C. They look much better than the Athenas (more elegant and refined) and the sound sooths my ear more (subjectively, that is :)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread here, but i have a question, what do people think of having a bit of a PSB mismatch, I am thinking of 6T fronts, 6T rears, a 9C front center, and keeping my current center an alpha CLR for the rear center. this would only be temporary till i could also get a second 9C rear center.

oh yeah and SVS 16-46 sub.

but my main concern is with mixing an alpha with images

James Edward

Supporting Actor

Do a Google search- this is a volatile combination.

As long as you keep the humidity in the room below 50%, you should be fine. Anything higher and they're liable to explode. 2 people in my neighborhood were killed recently when someone connected an Alpha center up front between 2 Stratus Golds.

But just keep the humidity down, and get that 9C ASAP.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
miles, i don't think he's serious....keep the alphas, i don't think it will make a big difference for the rear center, you might want to put that money into getting a bigger svs =)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Im sure he was exaggeratting, but i waqsent sure if he was still serious about there being a problem.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I gotta use more smilies! ;)

It'll be perfectly fine to use the Alpha with the Image Series. No kidding.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
I have 4ts, a 9c, and 1b's and could not be more happier. Although now that I am a gm for a large chain that does not have psb I have to find an inside connection to help me make this 7.1!

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Image 5T and 9C and love the sound from they make. Don't regret the purchase. The 5T's are an Editors Buy from The Absolute Sound if that makes any difference.

Wired One

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
I just recently purchased a Sony Bravia XBR52 as the 1st step to rebuilding my HT. I've added the Sony BluRay player and currently running it through my older model JVC sound system with matched infinitis. Now here in lies the rub. I WAS going to keep my Infinitis and finish off the HT by replacing the JVC amp with possibly a pioneer SC-07 or SC-05 or perhaps one of the Elite models. However it would appear age caught up with my infinitis and each took their turn in disintergrating around the outer oval edges. The short of it I decided to replace and after much studying I have decided to go with PSBs.
Now, at the risk of sounding totally foolish, I need to ask a question everyone here seems to know the answer to but me. I keep reading the terms 4ts 6ts 9c 2Bs subsonic 6, I assume your referring to the PSB front channels sides rear and subwoofer however here's where I'm confused. I look at the PSB line up on their site and i see none of this. Is this lingo I'm not familiar with? The sys i'm thinking about is the SB Image Command Performace which consists of 2 T65 Towers, 1 C60 Center, 2 S50 Rears and 1 SubSeries 6i Subwoofer. I would appreciate any feed back on this setup and the Pioneer HTR I referred to before I purchace these last 2 portions of my HT. Sorry for being long winded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks