Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My online ID: NJRonbo

Let me know if there are any HTF online groups. I am on vacation
in a few days and may wish to join in.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also have the gold headset, but I got it on a crazy Newegg sale for $45. The fiancee was unhappy about a big pre-holiday purchase for myself (she was going to get them as a gift) but understood why I would jump on less than half price on sale and free shipping. By the way, they're great.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wireless headphones, they will work on anything with a USB audio support.. but on the Sony PS4 they have a PS4 application that sets them up, which can be nice. Wireless microphone as well

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Morgan Jolley said:
I also have the gold headset, but I got it on a crazy Newegg sale for $45. The fiancee was unhappy about a big pre-holiday purchase for myself (she was going to get them as a gift) but understood why I would jump on less than half price on sale and free shipping. By the way, they're great.
That is a fantastic price!

Glad to hear you like the headphones. The Amazon reviews are mostly favorable, but a
few cite that the microphone sounds "robotic" or "muffled" since it is not a boom type, but
hidden within the ear piece.

Would love your opinion on the mic quality.

DaveF said:
Are those headphones simply wireless headphones, or are they something specific to the PS4?
They are wireless headphones for use on just about anything (wired), though because it
comes with a bluetooth dongle, I believe it is only wireless with any device that has a USB
port and can handle bluetooth.

It does virtual 7.1 surround on the PS4

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah, I see. Thanks. I don't game with headphones, so didn't realize there were USB headphones more easily used with game consoles. And I've never used a console mic system for online, and haven't given that any thought.I may have more questions in January :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I never play games online so I'm not really sure about the mic quality. The sound quality is great, but just one word of caution: the PS4 controller has a speaker that some games use, and the sound from that is played in the headphones if you set it to. This means that if you have the PS4 settings for that little speaker cranked up, it will be VERY loud in the headphones. Found this out the hard way in Shadow of Mordor (which is a fantastic game, by the way).

The Gold headphones work on PS3 and PS4 by just plugging the USB dongle in and with pretty much zero effort otherwise. The app is nice but I've never used it. On those two consoles they act as 7.1 virtual surround, but using the headphone cable you can use them as a wired stereo (not surround) set on anything. They also work as 7.1 virtual surround on PC but require more effort to set up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Back home from Christmas travels. Setting up my PS4; my first ever Sony console. The Sony network crashed as I submitted my ID registration and credit card info. I have no physical games; only download credits for the Sony online store.

New PS4. Can't do a thing with it.

Awesome.

Guess I'll play my Xbox 360.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
Back home from Christmas travels. Setting up my PS4; my first ever Sony console. The Sony network crashed as I submitted my ID registration and credit card info. I have no physical games; only download credits for the Sony online store.

New PS4. Can't do a thing with it.

Awesome.

Guess I'll play my Xbox 360.
Microsoft network is also back down for most people (at least here).. good news: my WiiU is solidly connected.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
Microsoft network is also back down for most people (at least here).. good news: my WiiU is solidly connected.
I was close to buying a WiiU until peer pressure made me buy the PS4 :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The government should start treating hacking acts as Postal crimes. They should stop treating these crimes as if they were misdemeanors or something.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Edwin-S said:
The government should start treating hacking acts as Postal crimes. They should stop treating these crimes as if they were misdemeanors or something.
That would be a very interesting discussion...for a forum that dealt with politics :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A good night's rest didn't help the PSN, unfortunately :) I was able to verify my user account, but I still can't enter codes to get my free games, and so no gaming for me.

I'm not frustrated...yet. But this afternoon or tomorrow, when I'm ready for some gaming on my new PS4, and looking to connect with buddies online for the first time and Sony is still not working, I'm going to start regretting this purchase, and wonder how long to wait for it to get fixed.

I even tried to go to the "Support" page, just in case it's something specific to my account. I got "Error 503", an 'i've fallen down and can't get up' sort of error page.

I don't participate in gaming forums or follow the twitters. What's the greater attitude on Sony's Christmas weekend collapse?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Will my PS4 download a game while in Rest Mode?

What's with the always-on flashlight on the face of the controller? Why can't I turn it off?

I love it when younger-me does smart things that surprise and delight current-me. I'd bought a power strip with USB ports last year, for the outlet behind my couch side table. PS4 controller charging: accomplished :)
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419780943&sr=1-24&keywords=surge+protector+power+strip+with+usb

I just need to buy another quirky cord holder for the USB charger cable.
https://www.quirky.com/shop/84-cordies-desktop-cord-manager

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks