What's new

PS4 owners thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
$60/yr isn't a bad price considering what you get, plus you can easily find $40 PS+ renewal cards on eBay regularly. Stock up on a couple of them and you're good for a while.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I guess, I don't get much. I haven't played destiny the past year, so the online isn't bringing me value. And I don't have time to play the one or two really good games I've gotten from the service.

That's me. I'm very casual these days. If I were playing nightly, playing a new game every couple of weeks, playing online regularly, $60 would be a no brainer.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Anyone want two discount codes?

One provides a 45% discount for the digital version of Street Fighter V and the other offers a 50% discount on the digital edition of Mega Man Legacy Collection.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is "Journey" free this month with PS+?

If so, I'm annoyed because I bought it last month and haven't had time to play it. I could have just waited.

This might be a lesson to not buy games for the PS4 unless I'm going to play it immediately.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Is "Journey" free this month with PS+?

If so, I'm annoyed because I bought it last month and haven't had time to play it. I could have just waited.

This might be a lesson to not buy games for the PS4 unless I'm going to play it immediately.

Well, yeah, that should go regardless. I have so many games in my backlog that I haven't touched yet that have been on sale multiple times since I bought them. I even have a couple that I bought originally on PS3, didn't play them yet, and then bought them again on PS4. You'll save tons if you wait to buy them, although actually drumming up the willpower to do that is a separate thing...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, I just rebought Journey on PS4 after never playing the PS3 version that I bought. At least it was free!

(To be fair, the PS3 disc I bought also had Flower and something else.)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you had bought Journey (or Flower) on PS3 digitally, then you automatically have the digital rights for the PS4 versions, too. Just throwing that out there.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I apologize if this has been discussed already (don't have time to read all these posts), but the only thing keeping me from buying a new PS4 to replace my PS3 is the 3rd party blu-tooth Multi-media remote. The one Sony made for the PS3 is great. Everything I have read about the 3rd party one for the PS4 is that it sucks. Is this data old? Does anyone have experience wit the 3rd party one on the PS4? The thing that concerned me the most is that I read that the remote goes to sleep quickly and take a long time to wake up and do anything. If I hit pause, FF or something, I don't feel like waiting 10 seconds for the remote to wake up.

I will never understand why the PS3 remote can't work with the PS4. :(

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I apologize if this has been discussed already (don't have time to read all these posts), but the only thing keeping me from buying a new PS4 to replace my PS3 is the 3rd party blu-tooth Multi-media remote. The one Sony made for the PS3 is great. Everything I have read about the 3rd party one for the PS4 is that it sucks. Is this data old? Does anyone have experience wit the 3rd party one on the PS4? The thing that concerned me the most is that I read that the remote goes to sleep quickly and take a long time to wake up and do anything. If I hit pause, FF or something, I don't feel like waiting 10 seconds for the remote to wake up.

I will never understand why the PS3 remote can't work with the PS4. :(

Nope, the media remote for the PS4 sucks. It's better than the controller (when it works, I have to keep re-connecting mine), but it still sucks. It's basically a remapped duel shock, so expect the battery life to suck, and for it to time out in 30 minutes if you have your duel shocks to time out if inactive since the battery life on them sucks too. Sometimes the "TOP MENUE" style buttons work, sometimes they don't. Everything media wise on the PS4 that's not called "YouTube" is the shits. the fast forward feature is lightning fast with the triggers, it's useless. To make things more annoying, if you watch downloaded videos, the media player on the PS3 plays divx and mp4, but MKV is really flakey, the PS4 plays mp4 and mkv with divx not working, so if you have older files you have to convert them. "X" starts and pauses a media file, "O" starts and pauses a bluray/DVD. It's idiotic.

That Sony didn't make the media features the same on both boggles my mind and continues to be my number one complaint.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the update. I guess I am going to wait until my PS3 dies, or I hear another company is making a remote for the PS4. I use my PS3 a lot for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and You tube. I also watch media files that are on my PC, via my PS3. This stuff, and Blu-ray/DVD movies, are the only thing I do with it. In fact, I don't even game with it. It is my media center.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The PS4 remote is alright for YouTube since it behaves more like the PS3 where you don't need to use more than the directions and the play/stop buttons. I don't have netflix so I couldn't say how it would work on those apps.

I play my media files off a USB stick and it works mostly okay for that, other than the searching. On the PS3 you can press the square button to bring up a timeline, there is no such feature on the PS4. you can only FF, and as I said, is so fucking fast that tapping it will set you back minutes when you only want to go back a smadge because you paused what you were watching to answer the phone or whatever.

I would imagine streaming though the PS4 would play them in a similar way, or if you use plex it might work better too. I haven't tried either.

The main issue with the remote though is it's lack of synergy and the battery draining.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, the PS3 is a better media device. The PS4 is a better gaming device. If you want the newest games with great graphics and a ton of online social features, get the PS4. If you don't care about that as much as you care about a good media experience, stick with the PS3.

The base model PS4 doesn't do anything that the PS3 doesn't already do better. I sometimes have trouble getting blurays to play properly in my PS4.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I wonder how hard it will be getting to buy a new PS3? Should I buy a new one as backup now and keep it from when my PS3 dies?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
By the time your PS3 dies, there will probably be an affordable alternative that you could buy on the market. That said, you can get brand new PS3 (super slim model) for like $150-200.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The new plan from MS is a great idea. But it being on PC means you don't need an Xbox console anymore. Personally, I think MS turning their Xbox brand into a platform rather than a physical box is a good idea. Were it not for the Wii U doing so terribly, I think people would see the Xbox One as an abysmal failure at this point. MS moving to PC is a good idea.

Sidenote: PS Now is available on PC, also, and for annual subscriptions that start at either $100 or $120, meaning that both Sony and MS have solutions for this. The MS one is clearly different but they're both doing something like this.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I haven't see any good PS+ free games for the PS4 since I bought it last year. Funny, when I had the PS3 I did see them and wished I had a PS4. I guess I waited too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks