What's new

PS4 owners thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Walmart has a PS4 bundle for $410 where you get your choice of the TLoU or Batman pack-in game, Madden 16, and your choice of Destiny, COD: Ghosts, or Evolve.

Interesting. . .a couple of days ago, that bundle was $400, and you could upgrade to the Special Edition of Madden for $410. Anyhoo. . .

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Picked up the Media Remote for the PS4. It mostly sucks. It "Sleeps" like a regular controller and there doesn't seem to be an independent setting to ask it not too. Either all your controllers sleep, or none due, unless I'm doing something wrong. So if you're not sure if it's sleeping or not and hit the PS button one too many times you kick out of the application you were using.

It also doesn't work in the YouTube App. I mean, come on. The PS3 controller works perfectly. All they had to do was copy that functionality.

hopefully a future patch will make it more functional.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Aaron Silverman said:
Does the PS3 remote play nicely with the PS4?
Nope! PS3 media remote supposedly doesn't work at all. I didn't try it though, maybe that's changed though I doubt it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
nothing about the PS4 as a media player makes sense. I get it, they went hard on the "Gamerz First Brah!" front, but that's no excuse to be woefully ignorant of media features when they got a bunch of new people hooked with the PS3.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I get the complaint about the lack of media features, but at least they were open and honest about it from the beginning and eventually did add them in.

Personally, I never saw the need for media remotes for consoles. The controller isn't the most intuitive option, but its already there and can be figured out with just a few minutes of trial and error (or looking in the manual or online).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got it because of the way the PS4 plays blurays and the constant habit of hitting the wrong buttons on the remote when using it compared to youtube and now media player.

Every single game, player and app I've ever used on a playstation device in memory has the X button being "Play/Move Forward/Yes" with the O button being the opposite. Except on the PS4 when you use the DVD player. Then the O button does the stuff the X button usually does, and I think X does nothing. You get kind of used to it, and then they brought on the Media player and if you hit O to pause the video like on a Bluray, it kicks you right out of the movie. Add to the fact that I still use my PS3 regularly on my other system and it's a really easy to get things mixed up. the PS4 media remote solves the problem since the "Play", "Pause" and "Stop" work. Unless you are in Youtube in which the stupid remote isn't compatible.

I mean, the PS3 is pretty near a perfect media player. all they had to do was retroactively copy it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Firewatch looks fun :)

Won't have any shortage of games to play when I make the jump to the PS4. I keep a list of games that catch my eye and it stands at nearly 50 PSN and retail releases, many of which are already available.

And that's without counting Pinball Arcade and its scores of classics that I've been waiting to get to.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
PS4 Media Remote Update: YouTube now works with the remote. Sadly, for blurays the "Top Menu" player style buttons no longer work. So if you're watching a film and want to go to the menu thing to check scenes or select a different TV episode, you can't without going through the menu brought up with the "Options" button.

That Sony can't make this remote work properly as a media remote is ridiculous. The PS3 one on the PS3 is flawless.

Question: Anyone here actually rent a game on PSNow? How do they play? Any lag with streaming or are they unnoticeably different from playing on the PS3?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I played PS Now during the beta a little bit. It was surprisingly good for a streaming service but not so good that I'd prefer it over my PS3. That said, they have the subscription which includes 400 games (100 of them PS3 exclusives) for $100/yr.

I remember the input had a slight lag. It was noticeable but you kind of got used to it, like playing Guitar Hero or Rock Band without "calibrating" your TV and instruments together. The graphics looked to be 720p or so and the sound was only stereo. I doubt that the current version of PS Now is much different.

You can try PS Now for 7 days for free. I'd suggest you do that and see how you like it. If your console is hardwired to the internet then you'll get better performance.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
So what are peoples thoughts on the PS 4.5 with 4K support that's on the way?

"the publication reports that from October, games released for the PlayStation 4 must ship with a 'Base Mode' for the current model and a 'NEO Mode' for the upgraded model, while games released previous to October can opt to take advantage of the new hardware with a patch. In a nutshell, games running in NEO mode will offer higher visual fidelity and a more stable frame rate - the exact specs provided to GiantBomb are below:

Original PS4 CPU - 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz

NEO CPU - 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz

Original PS4 GPU - AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz

NEO GPU - Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz

Original PS4 Memory - 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO Memory - 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s"

No word on how this will effect online play between PS4/PS4.5 players.

To me it seems like a bit of a rip. I don't buy consoles in order to upgrade every couple of years. If I wanted to do that I'd move to PC. If this is the future of the consoles, I'll move to a steambox of some sort.

Plus, that stupid media remote for the PS4 is still total shit. Maybe they could fix that? All I ask is it to work like the one for the PS3. Should be simple....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As long as it doesn't lead to a compromise of the PS4 games, I think it's great.

Only makes me more anxious for a 4K projector :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
As long as it doesn't lead to a compromise of the PS4 games, I think it's great.

Only makes me more anxious for a 4K projector :)
I made the jump and am very happy. Only thing i'm missing is HDR - which frankly won't be cost effective for a couple of years in a PJ.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This will not be a "new" platform. It will be like having a really good PC and then upgrading the graphics card/memory. Their goal is to have something on the market that could push 4K TVs or look more "next-gen" because the PS4 and XB1, while very powerful for consoles, are miles behind modern (and much more expensive) PCs.

If you don't have a 4K TV, then the PS4.5 (codename is "Neo") won't do much for you. The rumors say that Sony is requiring developers to make games with two modes, one that works like normal PS4 games and one that is slightly optimized for the better Neo hardware. Literally, the only difference between the PS4 and 4.5 would be the graphics being HD or 4K. And even then, 4K is on a game-by-game basis. The PS4 and XB1 routinely have games displaying at sub-1080p and sub-60 FPS, so a more powerful console is not a guarantee that games will be hitting 4K resolutions.

This isn't really a big deal. It's a good excuse to drop the price of the PS4 to $300 or less, release a new piece of hardware at $400-500, and have PS VR on the market all at the same time (right when Nintendo's new console, rumored to be more powerful than PS4, comes out, to boot). People are reading into this way too much, like it's going to be a brand new system or something. Instead of Sony putting their resources behind making a smaller/cheaper PS4, they're making a more powerful PS4. But it's still just a PS4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks