What's new

PS3 -- Release Day Thread (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
With tomorrow being release day, we're bound to see about 20 different posts for release day experiences, I figured I'd start one up.... even though, ironically, I'm not camping out.

Did a quick drive by Target, Best Buy, and Circuit tonight out of curiousity. I've got to say that allowing tents is weak:

- Limits access of paying customers to the stores.
- Allows easier "cutting". How many people are in the tent? How many people "belong" to the tent. Too easy to get screwed.
- Makes the line even longer, forcing people to potentially overlap in lines to avoid standing in the parking lot.

Let me just put a vote down for outlawing tents on release day events. I think of how many movie lines I stood out in the rain, or in the cold, with just a coat and a walkman. The way life should be. (And that was after I walked 10 miles in the snow, uphill, both ways. ;) )

Hope everyone has fun tonight, and hope anyone here who camps out gets a unit.

Doug

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
what's wrong with tents? my brother is in line now, and there is a pretty clear understanding of who has which place. it's not really possible to sneak up a spot unless you are alone, and you manage to sneak in between tents. even then, he said it would be almost impossible, the way the guys at his store are set up.

the auction prices are going up and up, which is what i want, since i'm reselling for profit, then buying one when they are readily available. there are only about half of the original estimate for machines available, which was very low to begin with. that said, i can't believe what people are paying on ebay.

CJ

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I still have to wait until tomorrow morning at 10 because my local EB is lame. Now I just have to hope that no one tries to break in overnight and steal the systems.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Got mine tonight, but after reading many reports of lock-ups and sub-Samsung BD performance, I've decided to drink the night away, rather than play with the PS3. I'm waiting for more conclusive evidence.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Haha!

Whoa!

ABC had a report about one guy who got trampled when Wal-Mart opened their doors to sell the PS3, he had to go to the hospital and get checked out. Pretty insane stuff going on.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Time to finaly get that X-Box 360 with the HD add on I guess. I can wait for Blu Ray and the PS3.
Any links to the performance glitches mentioned in this thread? "Sub Par Samsung performance?" Does not sound good. I hooked a Samsung Blu Ray up to a Pioneer 1080p plasma and there was still a lot lacking compared to the HD cable feed! Hmmm, Blu Ray players need some time I guess. Perhaps the PS3 being all-in-one will have too many compromises for HT buffs?

Just thinking out loud here, but hey, thats what this thread is about;)

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I just checked the "Real" ebay prices. They are settling in at around $2,500.00 US, but many auctions have several hours to go.

It seems the one linked above by Patrick was real, but the seller's auction was for a time hijacked by fake bidders upping the price as a "game" of sorts.

I Just hit the same link again and got a different auction? Weird.

Anyway, here are some of the comments between seller and, what seem to be another seller and some honest bidders. The console sold for $4,150.00US.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: It's very late so you are most likely asleep. When I did not hear back from you I contacted all 7 of your deadbeat bidders and asked them to cancel their fraudulent bid. Only a few of them did. But I also contacted ebay and reported them, but I seriously doubt they are going to do anything about it before your auction ends. I really hope you wake up in time to cancel and block them. Your last legitimate bid was for around 2400 dollars. I hope you get that. I feel really bad for you. I'm sure you don't deserve this. From one seller to another, have a great day.
Nov-17-06
A: You are right. Thank you for your concern. I was taking a nap and woke up to this nonsense. I was definitely aware that people do this, really didn't think it would happen to me, though. I will continue to watch.

Q: im looking to sell my ps3 today would you please tell me if you actually sell it for the amount of $11,000,000 or at least what you get im am compareing I got burnt hardcore by jokesters on the 360.
Nov-17-06
A: It's nonsense. Don't ever trust it. I no see why creditors are so hard no bad credit and newbies. People are really cruel.

Q: nice fake auction, must be a really sad person, just wanna see your auction on the news huh? Dumb tool.
Nov-17-06
A: Fake, my auction is not. I was taking a nap and woke up to this nonsense. I was definitely aware that people do this, really didn't think it would happen to me, though. I will continue to watch.

Q: whats the deal with the price?
Nov-17-06
A: I am sorry for these buttholes, it has been taken care of. I will continue to watch. Thanks so much.

Q: Is somebody trying to sabatoge all the auctions for the PS3?? The prices are skyrocketing! Are any going to sell for a reasonable price? What is going on!?
Nov-17-06
A: I know, I recieved another email about this..people really need to lay off the caffeine. It's not funny anymore!!!

Q: Hey man I happened to be looking at this, and I feel really bad that someone is playing games with your auction. Did you know that you can cancel their bids and block them from bidding again? When you cancel their bids, the high bidder will again be seismicexplore, and they are still under obligation to buy from you. They will probably be happy that they are the high bidder again, and you will still be getting well over $2000. Once you cancel their bids and block them from bidding again, they can no longer continue this game. They are killing you and your ebay fees will be outrageous. You still have several hours to save yourself this hassle and expense. I will be up for a little bit longer if you do not know how to do these things. I will be happy to help you. I'm so sorry that your auction was singled out to be the butt of a joke. Ebay is serious and you don't deserve this. Don't forget to report them as well. Good luck and have a good night.
Nov-17-06
A: Thanks alot, fell asleep and happened to wake up to this nonsense. They have all been cancelled and blocked. Thanks, again.

End quote!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

As we like to say in our house, "Fun for Free", the watching of all this that is....:laugh:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Picked up my two this morning without any hassle. Walked in at around 9:30, walked out at 9:40. I was planning on keeping one, but after finding out about the whole 1080i issue, I sold both to the same guy none-the-less. Gotta love craigslist, even if vigilantes kept flagging the posts.

Can't believe Sony screwed up something as important as scaling to 1080i. They basically made the console useless for gaming on 4m+ HDTV's. Smart move.

I did check out Walmart last night. Campers were there for 2 days. Just insane if you ask me. Drove past CC and BB as well, same deal. Tents everywhere.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

4 million HDTVs won't accept 720p input...I have a difficult time believing that.

Not to mention it will downscale, in other words, it still *works*.

Or the fact that they can update the machine if it is indeed the horror some folks make it out to be.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I've no idea what the numbers are, but I know I'm one of them.

As far as it "working", I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. The PS3's an advanced piece of technology which is why it's so expensive. If you can't take advantage of HD even though you have an HDTV, then that's a huge reason not to get one (at least for now). And as far as I know, Sony hasn't announced that they are going to update the machines. Until they do...

I mean, would a $600 Blu-ray player be worth it if (for whatever reason) you could only watch a downscaled 480p signal? It still works! That's not a perfect analogy, but it still conveys the idea that $600 for a more or less crippled system truly isn't worth it (at least to some people). I do hope that Sony updates the systems at least by the time they become more available.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I also dont know the actual numbers, but there definitely are "a lot" of HDTVs that won't accept 720p. Toshiba's very popular HDTVs a few years ago didn't support it. I have one of them, as well as 6 or 7 people I know - of course none of us are planning on purchasing a PS3.

It was known long before it's release that the 360 would be able to upscale to 1080i for games that are 720p, and it's been out over a year now.
How Sony can release their console without that ability is unacceptable.
It's even more ridiculous since they've been shooting their mouths off with arrogant comments like "next gen doesn't start until we say it does" and "1080p is true HD", all the while their biggest release title Resistance (and any other 720p titles) will only play in 480p on many HDTVs.

This just adds to an already horrible PS3 launch. It will get worse in Japan when the Wii is released very soon.

Poor Sony.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
That is the first I've heard any such thing. I've read people who've used it say it's almost as good as the Panasonic; others say better.

The Bits is saying it's reportedly the BEST BD player on the market.

So, beware. It seems a lot of people are just trying to disparage the system for whatever reason. Try it for yourself or listen to someone you trust who's had FIRST-HAND experience; don't go on gossip. There are so man Sony haters out there.... and Nintendo haters and Blu-Ray haters. I don't know why everyone loves Microsoft now, but it seems that way. Though there seems to be an equal amount of gossip, if not more (as this is the first I've heard disparaging things about the PS3's Blu-Ray abilities) that the HD-DVD add-on for the X-Box has its fair share of problems.

And I know a lot of people are upset about it not being able to scale. It's unfortunate that one of the biggest (if not the biggest) launch titles is 720p, but other launch titles are 1080p I believe. And that seems to be the trend, that they're going to be 1080. And since not every HDTV can't accept a 720p signal I wouldn't get too crazy about it. Don't buy the 720p games if it affects you. Wait for their 1080p sequels. XBox 360 doesn't even have 1080p games does it?

Time constraint or cost-cutting must have made Sony neglect a scaling engine, but I wouldn't doubt it will be a future addition, either firmware upgrades, or a hardware update to future units. In the meantime, it won't affect everyone, at least not on the gaming side. People who want an upscaling DVD player might be a little more upset. But they're already getting the cheapest BD player on the market, and the first HD player with HDMI 1.3 I believe.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Of course 4m is a guestimate based on how many HDTV's where out when I purchased mine and considering that there were very few 720p capable sets at the time that weren't priced out of the ballpark suggesting that the lesser priced 1080i only sets sold more. There could be less affected, but there could very well be more as well. No one really has those numbers.

And yes it does make it useless. Feels like this is the same argument about ICT over again. The PS3 says it is an HD gaming console. 720p/1080i/1080p listed on the box. Rendering at 720p and scaling down the original xbox resolution of 480p does not make it an HD console in my household. It is even more insulting considering the xbox360 could do this from day one a year ago.

As for updating, if they do, all is forgiven. Still a huge blunder and I won't purchase one until it is fixed. There are some on AVS that are saying it isn't something that can be fixed with an update. Let's just hope that isn't true.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Sounds to me like it's Toshiba's fault, not Sony's. THEIR sets have always accepted a 720p direct input. But that takes the blame away from Sony and we can't have that now, can't we?

BTW: its not EVERY game.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Well, let me name just three reasons right off the top of my head:
  • Oblivion
  • Gears of War
  • Xbox Live and Marketplace
I've owned an Xbox360 from Day One (pre-ordered and no premium pricing) and I have to admit that it greatly exceeded my expectations. I'm using it all the time and it has become an integral part of my extensive HD Home Theater. I've even added an HD-DVD player to it and at $199 is superior in many aspects to my $1000 Toshiba HD-DVD in actual real world performance and user friendly operation. Any warts are extremely minor and, once again, Microsoft surprised me on this one.

On the other hand, I won't be owning a PS3 on Day One since Sony has created an impossible scenario for people with a life and I don't play the e-Bay game. I'm sure I'll eventually add one to my game stable. My Nintendo Wii should arrive early this week (fingers crossed that all went smoothly with that one). I'm already getting the feeling that the latest SONY/Nintendo face off will end up like my personal PSP/DS experience where I've owned both units from the beginning and use the DS 95% of the time for my handheld needs. I'm not arguing that the Sony product has the superior technology in both the PS3/Wii and PSP/DS shootout. That's a given and people in both camps can't deny this. But if this is all about the games and the interface I'm thinking more and more that even with the "inferior" graphics of the Wii it will be something I'll use more often than the PS3. That's just a gut feeling (which has served me well in my long gaming and HT history) and something I won't say definitively until I actually experience both units in my home. (Part of this is skewed by the fact that I already have a 360 and some extraordinary games in the house.)

My 2 cents.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'm intrigued by the Wii, but I'm holding off to see if they offer a better bundle for the price in the future. Until you get another set of controllers (another remote and another nunchuk) so two people can actually play (I believe the Game Cube actually came with 2 controllers, or maybe not, Nintendo's always been bad about that), AND add component cables it's around $340. Not quite the bargain it appears to be. I got to see one today, but didn't feel like waiting to play even though there weren't a lot trying to play, considering the mall was crowded (the guy in front of me had just gotten around to getting the remote back, which he had to hand over his driver's license to do so), and I just can't pay more than what I paid for my Gamecube for what I saw. There's clearly a reason it costs hundreds less than the other systems, but I still like the idea of Nintendo's system. I guess I just want to be dazzled a tad more.

Excitetruck is a bad game to demo since it doesn't use the nunchuk and from what I've read takes a while to get a hang of the control. Had there been another game I'd have stuck around to play. Everyone was oversteering terribly, but I think I could probably handle finer movement than the folks I saw playing. There was a similar racing game being played on the PS3 a few feet away, which naturally blew it away graphically. Quite beautiful, almost lifelike. I want to put most of the blame on the game though as far as the Wii graphics, because I've seen far better graphics on Gamecube than what I saw with ExciteTruck. It can't be THAT bad.

I really think the PS3 does offer a lot for all the more it costs. Quite a value. One person who just got one really liked the motion feature they quickly added to the controller (because of the Wii most likely). Will be interesting to see if they develop that. Heck, if they could add the pointer and nunchuk capabilities to the system down the road, the Wii would have nothing on it. If that ever happens, I'll take the PS3 plunge because, honestly, I don't know why we can't have the best of both worlds. Looking at the Wii just made me want to wait for a Wii 2 with games that didn't look like they were from yesteryear. I'm not even a hardcore gamer, but with the amount of years that have elapsed since the Gamecube looking at that game just didn't feel right. I still will make an effort to play it in the near future though. Maybe I'll change my mind and jump in sooner, but usually better-value bundles come after the initial release.

Lots of adults were quite impressed with the teeny size of the Wii though. But I did see one woman admiring the look of the PS3.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the only difference is with you. you preordered the xbox, but did not preorder the PS3. both were going for way above msrp after launch. if sony created an imppossible scenario, so did microsoft.

CJ

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Peter and CJ,

A word of explanation because perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough. I tend to pre-order most new video game consoles and have done this for years so I have them on the day of release. (XBox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PSP, Wii, etc. etc.). The only one I didn't order previously for day of release was the Nintendo DS and, surprisingly, it has provided me with some of the most enjoyable titles despite not being as technologically advanced as some of the competition.

Yes, pre-ordering from retailers involves accepting their idea of a "bundle" but at least those bundles, when you add up the pieces are at least in the ball park with retail pricing (although a couple of the items like extended warranties, publications and some of the "shipping/handling" charges are a little dubious.) That's just a bit of marketing strategy and goes along with the idea that the real money is made from selling the games rather than selling the consoles. And yes, not every bundled title is a must-have item, but there have been surprisingly few dogs, at least to me.

With the PS3, however, the normal channels to on-line pre-ordering were extremely hard, if not impossible, to come by - even with diligent following of windows of opportunity. Some of the bigger online sellers never even opened a small time frame to order. From what has been said by a lot of people, it appears that Sony greatly overstated their initial launch numbers, or greatly undersupplied their dealers. That's why I mentioned Sony as creating an impossible scenario. However, I also realize that there might be more behind the scenes than meets the eye and maybe some things were beyond Sony's control in this matter. The same can probably be said for Microsoft after the 360 launch, but at least in that case there was a chance to pre-order the 360 many months prior to launch day (which is how I got mine).

The reason I didn't pre-order a PS3 is because I never could find an opportunity to do this on-line (and believe me, I looked). I would have had no problem with pre-ordering months ago - including a "big bundle" requirement - since I'm sure the PS3 will be well worth the (list) price. But nothing, to me, is worth the ridiculous e-bay pricing that's going on right now for the PS3. I guess it is for some people, though. That's what I meant by not playing the e-bay game.

Peter, I see no inconsistencies in my two statements since if I had found an on-line opportunity to pre-order (way in advance) a PS3 I would have done so - just like I did with my 360. I own a 360 because I had an opportunity to pre-order it online. A don't have a PS3 on launch day because I was never afforded a similar online opportunity. That's what I meant by "impossible scenario." And by "premium pricing" I mean "price gouging." As I've already explained, the bundles may be forced buying and cost a lot more than the consoles themselves so by my definition that's not premium pricing in terms of raising the cost of the console. They are just making one purchase a lot of extras at list. While I wish that this policy didn't exist it's a supply and demand situation and quite different than charging way over list price.

Look my two statements again, placed in a context of online ordering, show me where the inconsistencies lie. I'm not complaining that I didn't get a PS3 online at launch. I'm complaining that I wasn't even afforded an opportunity to get up at bat. If I had that opportunity but I struck out - so be it. At least I would have had a chance.

Postscript: That said - I will eventually get a PS3. None of this is about the relative merits of the various game consoles, which is an entirely different discussion, but about the way that they are being offered to the public (or not) at launch. I'm perfectly willing to wait until the dust settles this time because I already have plenty of HT and A/V stuff on my plate - and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

:laugh: :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks