What's new

PS3 Owners,what receivers are you using? (1 Viewer)

John_Yanotka

Agent
For the people that are using their PS3 as their blu-dar dvd player,what receivers are you using for your HT system? I am in the market for a new receiver. Looking for something that would be good for the new audio formats of blu ray and I am looking for hdmi connection. I have the Sony KDSR60XBR1 for my television set and I use my PS3 for my blu ray/dvd player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want the new audio formats, you have no choice but to get a receiver with HDMI, and I would wait (I am waiting) for some good choices that have v1.3.

Spirit_Moon

Auditioning
Real Name
Erick NW
I use the old Yamaha RX-V459. And use optical for the sound.
Do you know any receiver that have HDMI 1.3 input ?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pioneer and Marantz will as well. Waiting to see what Marantz releases, as the 8001 looks pretty solid with 4 in 1 out, if it had 1.3 I would have bought it already.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm currently using a Denon 3806 (in pre-pro mode). It has HDMI 1.1 inputs and works extremely well with the PS3. While HDMI 1.3 is not required for the audio nor video from the PS3 (or any other HD players that do the audio decoding prior to sending it to the receiver) it would be wise at this point to get a HDMI 1.3 receiver just to cover all your bases (probably at very little, if any, additional cost.) As others have mentioned, most of the major companies will soon have HDMI 1.3 receivers probably by CEDIA 2007 in September if not sooner. I understand that Denon will replace the 3806 with the 3808 which will add HDMI 1.3 to the mix.

Sidebar: I didn't go with anything higher than the "3000" Denon series because I already use an external video processor - the DVDO VP50 - and the additional video features of the "4000" and "5000" Denon lines would be superfluous for my needs. The "3000" series contains DENONLINK which is important to me whereas the lower lines "1000" and "2000" don't - or at least didn't when I purchased my 3806 about six months ago.

Hope some of this helps.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Onkyo TX-SR803. I run the PS3's HDMI through the receiver and then to my Samsung DLP. Works fine except that I still haven't figured out how to get the setup to play multichannel SACDs in, well, multichannel.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I picked up a PS3 yesterday and immediately decided I had to have lossless audio. So I found a buyer for my Rotel 1055 and went out today and picked up a HK AVR 247 for $510 plus tax with a 4 year warranty. I haven't had a chance to fire up a Blu-Ray movie yet though.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Have a 10 year old Yamaha with no HDMI ports. Couldn't wait anymore for the 1.3 units to come out so I just picked up a new Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi. Got a pretty good deal and it didn't need the firmware upgrade.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Using an older Pioneer via optical. I'll probably upgrade to a newer HDMI receiver when they reach the magic price point of $200-250.

Hoxxx

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
See my sig
I am waiting on the new Onkyo TX-SR605 with HDMI 1.3
J&R had them for 399.99. I have been on the list for almost 1 month but I was told that upfront. It will be worth the wait. then all my components will be HDMI 1.3

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer Elite (forget model number). 2 HDMI inputs for my PS3 and HD DVD player. Uncompressed is the bee's knees!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks