PS3 out question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill_Boston, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston Stunt Coordinator

Currently, I'm feeding the HDMI out straight into the HDMI in of my TV. I'm now considering buying Sony's DAV-IS10 5.1 mini-speaker "home theater in a box" system. The only issue is that the DAV-IS10 does not have a HDMI in. Therefore, I would need to pass the output signal of my PS3 via the Optical Digital port and into the DAV-IS10. Then, go HDMI from DAV-IS10 back to my TV. Questions ...

1) Does both audio and video get passed out the PS via the optical digital port?
    2) In my set-up scenario, would I lose much noticeable video performance -- going from PS3 via the DAV-IS10 and back to my TV?

Anything else I should be thinking of? Thanks!

- Willy

2. matthewRaz

matthewRaz Stunt Coordinator

optical digital is audio only. for surround sound you'd have to go component video plus optical audio to the receiver then hdmi to tv (picture would be compromised but probably not noticeably). or you would go hdmi to tv, optical out from tv to receiver (assuming the tv has a digital audio out).

probably best to get a receiver/surround setup with hdmi ins and out.

3. Echo42987

Echo42987 Stunt Coordinator

Your not going to loose any quality in video. Just run the HDMI cable to the TV and run the Optical into the HMTH system. It'll work fine and sound exactly the same and look exactly the same.

-Nick-

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It won't sound exactly the same, as you will lose the ability to pass high resolution audio formats via HDMI to a compatible receiver. All of the formats can be passed via optical, however they will only be a "core" 5.1 version of the higher formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc...).

5. Echo42987

Echo42987 Stunt Coordinator

the playstatoin doesn't broadcast TRUE HD or DTS HD does it!? If soo I can't wait to get my hands on one!

-Nick-

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, currently it does not.