What's new

PS3 on 720P display? (1 Viewer)

Wet1

Grip
Real Name
Scott
I have a HD1000U 720p front PJ in our bedroom and I'm interested in getting a cheap BR player for it. Since the PS3 is the cheapest, will it work with my 720p PJ, or will the image be down converted to 480p?

Also, my receiver in that room doesn't have HDMI inputs, but it is AC-3. Is there an audio output on the PS3 which will work for my older receiver?

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Right now for BD playback you will only get the following on the PS3:

480i/p
1080i/p

You might want to wait until next month to see if the reported huge firmware update (to coincide with the European PS3 launch) will add 720p to the list....there is speculation that it may indeed do so.

Your only other option (i.e. in addition to HDMI) audio-wise - not including composite - is optical which of course limits you on lossless audio opportunities.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
If I'm not mistaken, your projector should take a 1080i signal. What it does with it after that is the question. A lot of times 720P displays take a 1080i picture, convert it to 540P and then scaled to 720P. So if you set the PS3 to 1080i, it should work although there will be some loss of resolution.

Like Craig_Ehr said, there might be an update in March that provides scaling to 720P.

The optical out of the PS3 should work fine, but you won't be able to hear any of the lossless soundtracks.

Wet1

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Thanks guys. I'll have to look into my PJ to see how it handles a 1080i/p signal.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I've had my HD1000U for about a week now and it looks phenomenal with the PS3! The manual doesn't say it, and for my knowledge it's not documented anywhere, but it will accept the 1080p signal and down convert it to the projectors native 720p. So far I haven't noticed any scaling issues.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Bryan, assuming the Benq accepts either 1080i or 1080p inputs you need to select one of them in the PS3 setup so that it outputs one of those signals. The PS3 currently will not ouput a native 720p signal when playing a blu-ray movie, so if you don't have either 1080i or 1080p selected it automatically downconverts them to 540p. You can leave 720p selected, you just need to select one of the other two in addition to 720p.

If the Benq doesn't accept 1080i or 1080p (I can't imagine it doesn't accept at least 1080i) then until the PS3 can output a native 720p signal there's no way to get above 540p.

DavidUL

Agent

hope this doesnt sound silly but.. what does the above the statement mean ? any of the lossless soundtracks ? meaning full hdmi input including audio ?

if i go optical digital out from my ps3 how is that not lossless audio ?

thanks
dave

ps sorry to jump in this thread with my questions..

Neal_C

Second Unit
You can only get lossless or uncompressed sound from HDMI on the PS3. The optical connection will give you the compressed track.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Which will be standard Dolby Digital or DTS sound (which are both compressed) that you currently get from standard def DVD through the PS3's optical output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks