What's new

PS3 moving up in the world? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Something I've noticed a bit lately. . .on game sites and in ads, PS3 titles are getting more prominent. In the past, you would NEVER see PS3 games featured ahead of X360 or Wii games, but more and more that appears to be the case. The Wii especially seems to be getting pushed into the background (although yesterday I was in Target to buy a movie and the people in front of me bought a Wii). The big recent release for the Wii seems to be Project Runway, which has gotten brutalized in what few reviews have appeared. In this week's Best Buy ad, there are prominent sections for PS3 and DSi games, with PC and XBox games relegated to the bottom of the page. They don't mention any Wii games at all!

Anyone else noticing this? (I don't want to start a fanboy argument thread here; just commenting on what appears to be happening.) I don't follow the X360 much, since I don't have one, but for those of you with both next-gen systems, has there been a noticeable change in the ratio of A-list system exclusives? There seems to be an uptick in such titles on the PS3 recently.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
In this week's Best Buy ad, there are prominent sections for PS3 and DSi games, with PC and XBox games relegated to the bottom of the page. They don't mention any Wii games at all!

In this regard I think there is a rotation that changes weekly. I have seen at times where there are no PS3 games listed or section. Usually with the multi-ports of games they have a box cover showing one system then directly below it in small text will give the alternative console price.

As for the PS3 specifically and its sales - I think it has gotten extremely popular once the new Slim version came out along with the price drop. I think everything during that time til now has been near perfect for them. Along with the Kevin Butler commericials, all have been great reviewed.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I think the recent releases of Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII, and God of War III have really put the PS3 into the spotlight. Not to mention Uncharted 2. I know Final Fantasy XIII is also available on XBOX, but everything I've read says it looks and runs so much better on the PS3. The FF series is also previously exclusive to the Playstation, since FF7

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No to sound like a fanboy, but wait until May/June and you'll see a lot more Wii ads. Mario, Metroid, and Sin & Punishment sequels are coming out this summer and Sony/MS don't have as many big games competing.

I absolutely love my PS3 and I think that the overall quality of the first-party exclusives is above the majority of the Wii and 360 have. It's unfortunate that it took this long to get these games, but either way they're here and they rock.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Add infamous to the mix to (IMHO). I just finished Uncharted 2. The beginning moments are great, and then somewhere near the middle (as you first voyage into the mountains and battle the... ok, giving away too much) it goes off into insanity land ;(

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Both Ratchet and Clank games for the PS3 are better than average as well.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Definitely Infamous and Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank 2 (I know, I know) as well, but I didn't mention them since they aren't so new anymore.

I will have to experience Metal Gear's 40-minute cutscenes for myself before I can decide whether they're brilliant or excruciating. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Definitely Infamous and Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank 2 (I know, I know) as well, but I didn't mention them since they aren't so new anymore.

I will have to experience Metal Gear's 40-minute cutscenes for myself before I can decide whether they're brilliant or excruciating. :)

I still have to finish MGS4. I didn't have a problem with the long cutscenes, but I'm more than partial to games that have a strong story element to them. I find that I tend to finish games that have a lot of cutscenes because I want to see how the story advances. I picked up the GOW 2-pack awhile back. I played for about an hour or so, but I really didn't care for the game. The gameplay didn't grab me and I didn't like the camera perspective that the game used. GOW 3 certainly looks impressive but if the gameplay is basically the same as the first two I doubt I'll pick it up. I'm certain that it will sell some systems though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I agree with you about games that have a strong story element, but I don't have a lot of long gaming sessions. Sometimes I can only play for an hour or so. If I want to spend my free hour on a video game, I want to spend it playing a video game -- if I want to watch something, well, I have lots of shows on disc. :)

MitsuruX

Grip
Real Name
MitsuruX
Since teh Holidays the PS3 has been gaining momentum in the market place.. and on quite a few occasions i've been to stores that hade no system in stock... while there were quite a few Wii's and 360's available..

I think like an above user said the PS3 has had quite a few Big exclusive and non exclusive releases lately.. that coupled with the newer ads seem to helping them out...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gamestop is now giving $200 for any fully working PS3, if you have a non backwards compatible fatty it's probably worth it to move to a slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks