PS3: 7.1 soundtracks when I only have a 5.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Apr 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    While watching Ratatouille it seemed to be messing up the mix dramatically horribly, as non centered voices and effects were ridiculously muffled and sounded like they were under a blanket. Switching over to the DD soundtrack it sounded amazing, one of the best mixes I've heard from Pixar. I checked my PS3, I currently have all of the 5.1 options checked off up to 192Khz, I assume that using my PS3 via HDMI to my Denon 3806 this is all supported, and since I do not have a 7.1 setup all of those options are unchecked.

I originally thought the problem was uncompressed tracks, even tho they sounded great on my HD DVD Deck, but I think I've narrowed the problem down! It isnt uncompressed stuff thats a problem, its 7.1 tracks!

Does the PS3 not know to downconvert to 5.1 when it is fed a 7.1 signal if I tell it to only send 5.1 to my receiver? How exactly am I supposed to set this up right? Is my only option for hearing uncompressed 7.1 tracks going to have to include adding the two speakers necessary for that sound stage? What specifically should I tell the PS3 I can accept, and how do I set my receiver (a denon 3806) to take the 7.1 uncompressed channels and feed them correctly to my 5.1 setup?

Sam