PS3 1.8 (upscaling is here)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrettB, May 23, 2007.

1. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

My 1.8 updated PS3 doesn't upscale non-macrovision protected or back-up DVDs over component at all...

Tested a few Anchor Bay titles known to be unprotected and a few back-up DVDs over component on a VW-10HT projector; regardless of settings (normal, double scaling, etc.) under blu-ray options the projector tells me the PS3 is putting out 480p.

Unless I'm missing something here, mine won't upscale ANY DVD over component.

Keep Smilin'- JackJD

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

See above. Most upscaling players will do the same, though some offer upscaling of non protected discs over component. The PS3 is not one of them.

3. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Mine upscaled the two burned DVDs I tried, but they were laserdisc rips if that makes a difference.

4. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Same here. As long as a DVD is not CSS protected, my PS3 will upscale over component. It's important to remember while certain Anchor Bay and WB titles may not use Macrovsion encoding (which is primarily designed for analog recording devices), they are still likely to be CSS protected.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Magnolia titles like World's Fastest Indian will upconvert over component.

6. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

Unprotected/unencrypted DVD, DVD sourced backup discs, Laserdisc sourced backup discs WILL NOT UPSCALE over component on the PS3 at all... 480p for all of the above regardless of what setting I choose in the BD settings menu.

Every one of the discs I mention above which will not upscale on the PS3, DOES UPSCALE to 1080i over component on the HD-A1...

I'd love to figure out what's going on here... I'm baffled and a bit frustrated at this point.

Keep Smilin'- JackJD

7. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

It does say in the disclaimer that DVDR's will not upscale. Or does it say may not? I forget, but it mentions it specifically.

8. Bo-Cephus

Bo-Cephus Agent

Hello Everyone,
    Forgive the retread if this has been answered elsewhere, but can someone give me a rundown of the "normal", "full", and "double" terms on the upscaling options menu (think I have the "off" nailed).

Also, assuming I understand what has been posted so far, to upscale normal DVD's I need HDMI - the best I can get with component is 480p for standard DVD's (?). I can't get my old (2000) 55" Mits 16:9 to break, and the best it has is component (and 1080i, not even 720p). If that's the case I think I'll teach my 3 year old the basics of golf - in the HT room. Thanks.

9. Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell Screenwriter

Greg K.

Normal upscales to the res of your display, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. 4:3 content is pillarboxed in the frame.

Full does the same, but 4:3 content is expanded to full screen.

Double upscales 480p to 960p, and the entire display is windowboxed in the 1080 frame. It is only available for 1080i and 1080p settings.

Yes, you need HDMI (or DVI HDCP and an HDMI converter cable) on your TV to upscale.

10. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Well ...Unless there was an unannounced running change in the 1.8 software download, it certainly does allow for upscaling with *unencrypted* DVDs and DVD-Rs.

I have my PS hooked up to my projector strictly by component cables. When I pop in a copy protected DVD (most of them) the projector switches to 480p once the disc is started, and scaling options are not available. When I pop in a DVD or DVD-R with no copy protection, the projector stays in the 1080i mode, and all three scaling options are available.

11. bqv1910

bqv1910 Auditioning

If I installed this 1.8 update, how will it downscale to 720p to match with my Pana 42 720p TV ? Do I need to set any option in the PS3 to do this or does it do it automatically ?

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

You need to go into your settings and unclick 1080p and 1080i. At least that's what I did and it upconverts automatically to 720p on my Optoma projector now.

13. Shane Evers

Shane Evers Extra

I just found out about this update, and got it. I can't believe it, I'm so friggin happy! Sony added Media Extender capabilities and upscaling! THANK YOU SONY! I knew my faith in you was waranted!

14. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

1.81 is out btw. It fixes the glitch where RGB full does not stay on. IT says it is on but really is not after playing a game or watching a Blu Ray disc with 1.80.

15. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    Under 1.80, my player developed a serious glitch: intermittent loss of picture during PS2 game playback. I called tech support at Sony and I was advised to turn OFF upscaling and smoothing for PS2 games to work around it (i.e. no upscaling of older games). He wasn't sure if the upcoming update would solve the problem, but tech did say others have experienced the same problem. I hope 1.81 fixes it because the upscaling of PS2 games looks excellent when the picture doesn't cut out.

Regarding upscaled DVDs: I did an A/B comparison using a DVD I have two copies of (The Messenger), by syncing up the 2 discs simultaneously, playing one upscaled on the PS3 and the other at 480p on a Panasonic.

My conclusion was the upscaling improved PS3 playback over its own playback for standard DVDs. However, the DVD still looked better on my Panasonic DVD-F85 at 480p (not upscaled). In other words, the Panasonic picture was far superior than the PS3 without upscaling, but with upscaling the PS3 almost catches up to the Panasonic image.

I did this A/B comparison viewed on my Sony 34" XBR910 via HDMI-DVI HDCP input for the PS3, and component input for the Panasonic. The difference was most noticeable in color depth and grey tones, which were noticeably richer and more detailed and smoother in transitions using the Panasonic (without upscaling) compared to the less rich / less detailed image from the PS3 (upscaled).

My guess is the PS3 put its top quality parts into Blu Ray and game playback, but less so for standard DVD. When adding upscaling (v. 1.80), the PS3 picture for standard DVDs came close to the Panny's decent picture, but didn't quite meet it. Therefore I wouldn't recommend the PS3 version 1.80 as an upscaling DVD player, though I'm very pleased with it as a game and BD movie player (if only the cooling fan could be a bit quieter!).