What's new

PS2 won't play dark bottomed discs... (1 Viewer)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Could this possibly be a result of the CD lens being dirty??

It plays any silver bottomed or light colored bottomed discs, but it won't play blue or black bottomed ones.

And I just bought Virtua Fighter 4 and can't play it!!!!

Any advice??

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Clean the lens. If it still doesn't work, check with Sony I'm afraid.

It's a fairly common complaint I've seen in a few places :-/ Basically, your PS2 won't play CDs only DVD based games.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Well, I spoke to a Sony customer service rep., and was told that I will need to fork over $119.00 for them to correct this problem!

The thing that pisses me off is, they seemed to already be aware of this issue, but still feel that I should pay up for them to correct it.

Oh well, I'll try cleaning the lens tomorrow, but it does seem to be a DVD ROM vs. CD ROM issue.

If that doesn't work, Sony can kiss my ass!!

I'm not paying them again for a system that has been perfectly taken care of, and clearly has a simple driver issue.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's not a simple driver issue. It's an issue with the CD-ROM mechanism getting out of whack far too easily. It's a hardware issue. I know that doesn't make any difference to the real issue though.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I had the problem with the PS2 where it wouldn't play and DVD (silver) based game discs and finally it stopped playing any. First system I ever had that broke. The guy at the store recommended I buy a new one and switch the two systems box for box and return it.

Bill Arthur

Auditioning
Mine does this sometimes, and i've found a temp. fix for mine. It may not work for you... If i throw in a blue disk, it just get's the disk read error, when this happens, i put in Tony Hawk 3 (but i'm figuring any silver bottom disk should suffice) and once it loads, just open the tray, put in your blue disk, close the tray and hit reset. It seems to work for me pretty much every time...

hope it works for you...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The swap method Joe mentioned sounds like an option in this case, where it's Sony's fault not the consumer's. The retailer will ship the faulty unit back to Sony and they can scrap it for parts or repair it and sell it as new if it's up to standards. They'll still make money off the unit that would otherwise collect dust if not working properly. Plus Joe here will continue to purchase games on his new fully-functional PS2, the area where Sony sees its real profits in its gaming division.
What are everyone's thoughts, justified or unethical? Win-win situation or no? Keep or delete this post? :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think its a win-win for everybody. The consumer is happy, the retailer doesn't lose money, and Sony gets what they deserve.

There is supposed to be a way to scare Sony into fixing it for free by sending a letter to some government office. Someone somewhere said something about how they did this, gave Sony the URL to where they sent the letter, and then Sony freaked and offered to pay for everything.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I found that my PS2 reads discs better when vertically oriented than horizontal. Have you tried changing the orientation?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks