What's new

PS1 Controllers and PS2 (1 Viewer)

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I currently have a Dreamcast so I have a question about PS1 controllers.

Can you use the old style PS1 digital controllers on the PS2?

I'll be getting a PS2 as soon as the price drops.

I was hoping that VF4 was coming to the Dreamcast.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
You can use PS1 controllers with the PS2 (including the original ditigal-only style). You will want them to be dual shock controllers (with 2 analog sticks), however, as most games uses the analog sticks.

-Dave

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Thanks!

Once I get the PS2, I'll show you what I have in mind for the other part of my basement.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
You can use PS1 controllers with the PS2 (including the original ditigal-only style). You will want them to be dual shock controllers (with 2 analog sticks), however, as most games uses the analog sticks.
I thought this only worked for playing ps1 games on ps2? Being that the buttons on the Dualshock2 are analog and all...

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Is there an arcade stick for the ps2 that just has digital controls? (no analog or dual shock).

Basically, has anyone tried the old style PS1 controllers with no dual shock with VF4, DOA2, SC2 or TT4?

Andre F

Screenwriter
I currently use a PS1 controller with my PS2. It works for most games but it sometimes gives me trouble (Analog sticks don't work etc...).

-Andre F

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Obviously you will lose the functionality of the analog buttons of the Dual Shock 2, but the analog joysticks have worked in the PS2 games that I have tried (SSX, Tony Hawk, Twisted Metal, etc...). I've never really noticed any added functionality with analog buttons though, so the absence is a non-issue for me. I've only seen a few games that use that feature, and even then never noticed it.
-Dave

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Metal Gear Solid 2 would be an example where the PS1 controller would suck. If you hold down the Aim/Shoot button and have a PS2 controller, letting off slowly will have him lower the gun without shooting off a round. If you just let go, he'll fire.

With a PS1 controller, he'll fire off a round EVERY time.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Touch passes and "drilling the ball to a receiver" in football games would also disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread