Proposed digital copy protection legislation (MANY USEFUL LINKS)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jerry AZ, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

This thread probably won't be open for long...but this kinda thing is not gonna pass. People just won't buy products if it stops them from doing what they've been doing since the computer first came out. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It seems like any industry can buy government legislation these days.

I don't like the idea at all, but at least this made me a little happier: The CBDTPA does say the final "encoding rules" should take into account fair-use rights, such as making backup copies or reproducing short excerpts from books, songs or movies. Copies of TV broadcasts made for one-time personal use at home are also permitted.

/Mike

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

5. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    Check out www.digitalconsumer.org if you want to help do somthing about it, namely writing your Senators. And they have a pre-prepared form on their webpage where they will acutally send a fax for you.

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

[​IMG]
    That must be the most ignorant bill I have ever heard. Don't people realize that if we didn't copy others, the human species would be... REALLY STUPID. Imagine if the person who invented the word "THE" would sue anyone who used the word "THE" more than two times in a sentence. Sounds pretty stupid, huh? This bill is basically the same thing.
    Don't worry... people try to pass crap like this all the time... I wouldn't worry about it [​IMG]

7. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Although I completely understand the reason behind the rules of this forum, it is politics such as this that should be openly discussed in a forum such as the HTF. It has EVERYTHING to do with what Home Theater is about.

I don't suspect that this thread will last long, but I do ask that something be done to allow discussions such as these in the future in an appropriate HT related forum.

Anyway, you are probably right that this particular legislation will not make it. However, we are looking at a possibly grim future when considering certain copy protection schemes and loss of consumer rights.

C. Ryan

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Believers in the First Amendment didn't believe campaign reform would pass as written..but it did!!!!

hollings is in eisner's pocket...period!!!! The link is but one article about this bill and holling's "passion" for security. Firstly this bill should be trampled by the citizens..secondly hollings needs to be booted from government!

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Good point Michael.

C. Ryan

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Everyone here should prance over to the nearest newsstand and pick up a copy of the April, 2002, Sound & Vision. There is a fairly comprehensive story in it regarding the copy-protection issues facing makers of CD burners and such. Read and stay informed--you'll be less taken by surprise when you hear about proposed legislation that impacts your ability to copy CDs.

12. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Yeah, I just read that yesterday. Pretty good article really. Things, they are a changin'.

An informed public is the key though. It is the only we can try to stop some of this madness. Otherwise, the beaurocrats will have no understanding of what they are really doing IMO.

C. Ryan

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

There's been a ton of discussion on this in various weblogs recently.
    Here's some pointers for more info and opinion:
    From Wired: Anti-Copy Bill Hits D.C.
    From Boing Boing: The Anti-Mammal Dinosaur Protection Act
    From LinuxJournal: Biting the Hand that Beats You (this one was written by Doc Searls, who keeps an eye on things like this). Note: I didn't realize at first that this was the same article that started this thread :b - but I'll keep it in, as Doc's weblog can be a good source of information.
    There's a lot more out there, but these should be enough to give an idea of the more worrisome aspects of this bill - and how it relates to the entertainment industry and home theater.

14. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  15. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

17. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Since I play CD's primarily at work on my CD-ROM drive, listening in headphones, this is pretty bad news. Of course, I don't listen to Dion or Imbruglia, but I assume that more "CD's" like these will be produced.

It also stinks because people won't be able to copy the songs to their portable MP3-players.

I think the music industry is just shooting itself in the foot with thi.

/Mike

19. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

We can all hope this goes the way of Divx [​IMG]

20. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Neither the Imbruglia or Dion CDs are copy protected in the US. I have both of them and they play, rip, burn, etc. fine in all my PCs. It seems like Europe's getting the brunt of this.

In any case, it has got to stop. Copy protecting CDs will accomplish nothing to stop piracy. It'll just make people stop buying CDs.

KJP