What's new

Promising news for Marantz x200 owners (1 Viewer)

I figured I'd give everybody an update on my situation with my 5200...

Today, I received my 5200 back from the repair facility. I have been using it throughout the day and have not noticed any of the popping noises I was complaining about! I have played CD's, listened to the tuner, and watched DVDs - all have worked just fine.

Of course, I wish I hadn't had to go through these girations, but in the end I am happy with my setup. My recommendation for people considering the Marantz line is to do a good test at the dealer and make sure it all works for you. I'd also recommend waiting a little bit to make sure you get one of the most recently produced receivers so all of these little "fixes" could be incorporated.

Good luck,

Chris

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My SR 6200 works ok. Still sounds great and I don't have those clicking sound issues. I don't use a digital cable for CD's right now, and its still ok for me.

One thing I noticed though, is that I have experienced a few of the problems that Chris G was experiencing in terms of loss of vertical sync. I've watched a few movies with the S-video coming out of my Laserdisc player and routed to my TV set and during the movie "The Crow" which I watched last night, The screen kinda jumped a couple times when the lightening flashed. It was so slight and so fast, I barely recognized it for what it was. I saw what Chris G was talking about when we had his DVD player hooked up to my SR 6200 and it wasn't nearly as bad. I would say it was 25% as bad. Like a milli-second of lost sync and it went smoothly back without any noise.

Other than that, my SR 6200 is ok. I will keep my eyes and ears out for whatever is going on out there. If NAD brings out a receiver with DPLII I will look into that too and maybe trade up.

GregJ

Agent
I've had the SR5200 since it was first introduced in Sept. and I haven't had any problems with it. I though I had a problem with the sub out but it turned out to be my fault, I had it pluged in to the in (right next to out) by mistake. I have the component video connected straight to my RPTV from the DVD player so no chance for any drop out. It was very disheartening to read the review in Sound & Vision but I like the Marantz a lot better than the Technics receiver it replaced.

Greg

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
FYI, myself and at least a few others that have experienced the S-Video sync issues with the Marantz receivers have finally gotten a response from Marantz America. Here is the text from the two messages the I have received personally. Please take the time to respond to Jim yourselves if you have seen these issues. Also, please try to be considerate in your replies... we're all pissed that we are having issues but yelling at Jim isn't going to get the problem fixed any faster as it sounds like everything is done in Japan.
Text of First message:

Gentlemen,
We apologize for a late response. We have forwarded your e-mails to Marantz Japan. We @ Marantz America have heard of this problem, but very few complaints.
Marantz Japan is on Holiday through this week. The following week the majority of the Marantz Staff will be attending the CES show in Las Vegas. We will try to respond back to you by the end of the month.
We do have a couple of questions for you;
What brand of TVs or video monitors are you using?
If you are using Satellite, what is the manufacturer?
Also using satellite, does his appear on certain channels, more than others?
The Japanese like to have as many details as possible, when searching for a solution.
We thank you for your support & patience.
Happy New Year,
Jim Smerz
[email protected]
Marantz America

Text of latest message:

Thank you again for your response. We really do appreciate your feedback & support. We don't have a problem with relaying information. But, we just would appreciate people knowing we are working on this issue in the Engineering dept. in Japan. The answers just don't come out overnight. They take some time. So we just ask for patience.
Also, Marantz Japan is on Holiday this week, and there will also some people from Marantz Japan visiting the CES show next week. Which is also where I will be.
Again thank you for your support & patience,
Jim Smerz
Marantz America

And last but not least is the message that I sent back to Jim answering his questions. Feel free to use this as a guide when composing your own messages if you want:

Hi Jim & Co.,
Thanks for the response. Here are the details in reference to my SR-8000 receiver and the S-Video sync problem.
I am using an RCA MM36110 Direct View HDTV for viewing.
My satellite receiver is the RCA DTC100 HDTV/DirecTV Receiver
The DVD player I use is the Toshiba SD-3109.
The problem seems to exhibit itself when using the S-Video Monitor Out only. I use Acoustic Research Performance Series S-Video cables for all connections.
I have not noticed that any particular satellite channel shows the problem any more than another. I will tell you that I watch mainly the ESPN networks, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi. I DID notice that most of the promos that Sci-Fi uses for their shows like Farscape, Invisible Man, etc... seem to use alot of dark to light transitions which make the problem show up more readily.
The DVD that I have noticed the most repeatable sync issues with is any one of the Spawn The Animated Series discs from HBO Animation. The opening credits show lightning flashes that cause the loss of sync with every flash.
Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further info as I know that the more info that tech support has, the easier to reproduce and hopefully FIX the issue at hand.
Thanks and happy new year,
Jeff Hayes in Houston, TX

Thanks again... and let's all cross our fingers that the Japanese guys get enough feedback from us to warrant a relatively quick and easy fix for us all.
Regards,
Jeff in Houston

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks