What's new

prologic II processors? (1 Viewer)

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any plans to release an inexpensive processor for decoding prologic II? I have a Sony STR-DB830, which I am very happy with, but I'd like the option of decoding using Prologic II.
(OK, its for Nintendo's gamecube more than anything else. They claim to be able to produce discrete 5.1 channel sound in realtime - the same as MS are claiming for XBox, but using DPLII rather than DD)

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Richard, I too am getting a GameCube (Rogue Leader looks awesome) and I have a Sony STR-DA777ES receiver, which doesn't do DPLII. I'd get a processor if they make one, but in my surround modes I have 3 that are called Cinema Studio EX A,B,and C. I am not sure if your receiver has these modes or not, but I usually play video games on Cinema Studio EX B. This seems to give the rear surrounds a more DD like sound. I recently played Rogue Squadron on the N64 in EX B and it sounded fantastic. I really want to hear some of the new GameCube software in DPLII though.
Corey

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
But theres a difference between expanding the soundfield and actually having discrete, full range surrounds, which is what Factor 5 are claiming they have with DPLII

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Correct. But what I am saying is until a processor comes out the EX B is great for DLP sound. Will it sound like DPLII, probably not, but it will still sound great. I still want to get a processor.
Corey

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I agree with Corey, Sony Cinema Studio EX B sounds great. It will rival DPL II IMO. Rear surround is probably more diffuse in EX B vs DPLII but I have not had the opportunity to compare the two formats directly.
I can't wait for the reviews of the new Sony DA5es receiver. The comparison between DPLII and CS ExB on this receiver should prove interesting.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Depends what you mean by inexpensive. Outlaw Audio is supposed to release the 950 by Christmas and it will sell for $900.00. It does DPL11 along with every other format imaginable.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks