What's new

Projectors- set me off! / CRT's? (1 Viewer)

JohnCo

Auditioning
Hi all. I'm new here and would like first of to all say thanks for having me on as a new member! I've already learned quite a lot perusing this forum.

I work as a sound-designer and have done a number of independent short and feature length films and videos. My project studio currently uses a Sony Trinitron 27" television for video playback, placed right behind the (rather large) mixing console, thereby blocking the glass that looks out into the studio area. It works just fine except it's a real pain moving the television out of the way for sessions that don't require it, so that it doesn't block our view into the studio area. I'm thinking a projector with a motorized screen is a good solution, as it can be rolled up and out of sight when not in use, and I can perhaps get a slightly larger image out of it. Being new to projector technology, however, I have many questions and don't want to make a dumb mistake.

I plan to position the screen about 6' in front of the mixing area, with the projector almost directly over my head (a distance of perhaps 6'-8' from the screen). I don't need a huge image, I'd be real happy with 40". I'm concerned that the fan noise of the projector will be an issue in a quiet studio with the projector directly over my head, maybe 1 foot or so behind me (ceilings are low, only about 7'6"). How loud are the current projectors? What's the quietest (sp?)? How much heat do they put off? Though it won't be used used daily (and often only a few times a month), it is likely that it will run for 8-10 hours or more in a single day.

Since this is a working environment there needs to be some task lighting, just some soft spots 5' and further back from the screen, but the lighting immediately around the screen can be turned off (the room is about 25'w x 20'd, with the screen on a long wall- no outside windows). How many lumens will I need given the close proximity of the projector to the screen and the working lighting level?

Also, I'll need 4:3, 16:9, and NTSC, PAL, and SECAM. I do not need any presentation connections (no computer output, video games, etc). This is strictly a home theatre type setup for viewing video in an audio post-production environment.

Finally, I'd like to keep the budget low (under $1500) and have seen several units, many of which have been recommended on this board, that can probably do the job. I've also seen several older CRT types available on eBay at very low cost. Since this is a fixed setup, I am considering this older technology as I have seen it used in several studios and screening rooms, and understand it may have some advantages in my scenario (durability, no screen door, rainbow). Somebody steer me away from CRT's if you feel this is a mistake.

Your help in finding a suitable projector is greatly appreciated. Please set me off in the right direction!

Thanks again,

JohnCo

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is not really a "Basics"-type of post. You'll get better response in this section. Good luck on your project.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
John,

I am also a designer for film- and I drafted a long reply to your post but lost it before posting. Drop me an instant message (VinceMaskeeper) or an email ([email protected]) and maybe we can arrange a phone call and I'll fill you in on what i know.

Of note, CRT will probably not be bright enough (I've had two and any condition other than ZERO lighting was too bright). Unless you have a nice 9 inch Runco (which will set you back more than $1500), steer clear.

We can cover a ton of this stuff in real time if you're interested.

-Vince

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to disagree with vince *tentatively*. I think a CRT will provide the best PQ, will be cheapest, and quietest. No bulb replacement, and especially if you build a hushbox, it will probably be the best. It also will be the most flexible in dealing with pretty much any video you feed it, any scanrate, resolution, up to and beyond hdtv(obviously depending on the projector, but you can do that for 1500 probably.

There is TONS of knowledge and info for dealing in used CRTs, as a beginner I recommend you not get one from Ebay unless you know the dealer. Most of the reputable CRT techs have one or two projectors on ebay to grab customers, but they have MANY more that they don't list, and you likely won't know which listings are from the reputable folks. There are lots of scams on ebay too.

If you want more info, the crt forums are the place to be. I have oodles of beginner info too, some that isn't linked very clearly from the forums. You can PM me ifn you want.

Also, depending on the unit, most of these are very well supported by the techs, and with ample supply of parts, which is a LOT better in a pro environment than digital projectors which are largely throw-away should they go bad. The bad side of having pro equipment that's modular and very durable, is it's huge, heavy, and must be a perm install (which should be *ok* in your situation).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Here's your requirements and (IMO) the best technology for each:

Least noise: CRT (some are loud). A hushbox would drastically improve matters (for either digital or CRT). Be aware that dB is not everything... it is the type of noise (a low woosh vs. the screaming whine of some digitals).

Least heat: A toss up.

Ability to display multiple resolutions / scan rates: CRT

Best picture: CRT (assuming a quality install and setup)

Use in lighted environment: Digital. CRT will work, especially with indirect light. However, sunlight will absolutely kill the picture. Proper screen selection will help.

Cost: CRT. Absolutely purchase from a reputable seller (i.e. NOT EBAY). PM me for suggestions. You should be able to get a 7" ES focus CRT for ~$1500.

JohnCo

Auditioning
As I suspected, there isn't a clear choice here. One problem I'm facing is that although it's easy to find information on the new digital projectors, I'm having trouble educating myself on crt systems since they seem to no longer be in production. I wasn't aware, for example, that crt's do not need bulbs replaced (what type of bulbs do they use?). What is meant by 7"ES, 7"EM, and 8"ES (I assume that 7" is the size of the crt and that bigger is better). How long do these last and how much do they cost to replace? Do any other parts require periodic replacement? I've got a strong background in electronics so I'm hoping that armed with the proper parts, documentation, and some basic test equipment I can service a crt system myself. Or are these highly specialized units that only experienced technicians should handle? I guess I'm leaning towards a crt, my only reservations being the ambient light level and the condition of any unit I buy. With regard to the former, how many Lumens do you all think would be appropriate? Dean Martin suggested the X1, which I believe to be around 1000 Lumens. Is this adequate (remember, the screen will be only 6'-8' from the projector)? Crt's I've seen only have 500-600 Lumens. Will this do? With regard to the latter, I'll take you up on your offers and contact some of you for your recommendations of reputable sellers.

Thanks again!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
JohnCo,

I would suggest going over to AVSforum and reading some of the posts in their CRT area. Curt Palme sells PJs in your price range (he also has a great CRT primer that will answer most of your questions). You can contact him via PM on AVS.

I guess I'm leaning towards a crt, my only reservations being the ambient light level and the condition of any unit I buy.
You should do everything in your power to minimize the light in the room (regardless of the technology selected). Screen selection can definitely help with the ambient light issue. IMO, contrast ratio is more important than actual brightness for the dynamic range of the PJ.

I am technically inclined (know how to solder, work a multimeter, etc.) and it took me ~3 months of reading and playing around before I got my CRT into tip-top shape. If time is of the essence, go get the X1 and run with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks