projector-screen match up questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by qixtepr, Oct 15, 2008.

1. qixtepr

qixtepr Auditioning

I am in the process of installing a HT in an 18'W x 20'L below-grade room with virtually no ambient light. Walls are painted a deep taupe. I have a AE2000U LCD projector, and have received somewhat conflicting advice from experts re. a good screen match. The room will easily accommodate a 120" D screen. However, some reviews suggest not going beyond 110"D b/c of the projector's brightness limitations. Some say to mount the projector as close to the screen as possible (to max brightness) while others advise to mount as far back as possible, to max sharpness. In my room, that difference is only about 5 feet at most. My question is, with a screen budget of about $350, will a 120" screen work well, and if so, what is a good choice for the screen surface and throw distance? If not, what size/surface would be optimal? Help!!!
    DAvid

2. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    Well – you have the projector and the room – I would start experimenting.

Put a sheet on the wall, position your projector – and get an idea on what would work for you as far as size and throw distance.

Measure the screen area your projector can throw that you would be happy with.

If the image is too dull, a + brightness screen could help. You can get some kind of idea on what size would work for you.

Now for the screen itself – To stay within your budget, you could make your own, or get some kind of pull down thing to fit your budget (100” for $81.62 here):

Amazon.com: Elite M100UWH 100" Pull-Down Screen (Black Frame): Electronics

$581.00 for 100” Carada fixed screen – a little more than your $350.00 budget

Projection Screens - Home Theater Projector Screens by Carada - 100 Inch Diagonal Precision Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1

For 120” – (well – 118”) you’re looking at $718.00…
    Projection Screens - Home Theater Projector Screens by Carada - 118 Inch Diagonal Precision Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1

3. qixtepr

qixtepr Auditioning

thanks Martino
    I painted a 120" "screen" on the wall yesterday. I'll experiment on throw, screen size and picture. I guess the experimentation is better than an up-front answer to the questions, yes? Duh. I've been so into getting the room ready (installing new flooring, painting, etc...) that I haven't made time to just try things. thanks for the response.
    oh, as for screen suggestions, Ive been looking at Elite fixed wall screens. they got decent reviews, and aren't too far past my budget. I blew most of my funds on the projector, blu-ray, and a new receiver. [​IMG]

4. SherardP

SherardP Stunt Coordinator

the panny is plenty bright to light up 120 diagonal screen. I have JVC HD1paired up with a Carada 126 diagonal screen with Brillant White material. My room is 14x22, light controlled also. I have my pj mounted at roughly 18 feet and its plenty bright. You'll be fine, definitely go big, and lastly dont buy a cheap screen, you have a very good pj, pair it up with a decent screen and you will be rewarded in the end, check out Carada, or Elite.

5. qixtepr

qixtepr Auditioning

hey thanks
    I'm looking at Elite to start. Will probably end up with that, but will reconsider Carada.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Note: For a given projector and a given picture size and a given screen surface, the brightness will be about the same regardless of the amount of zoom versus projector to screen distance.

7. qixtepr

qixtepr Auditioning

ok, I get that. Now, with a given screen size, projector, and brightness, will the image sharpness vary at all with zoom setting and throw distance? In my room, I won't be varying the throw distance all that much.
    At any rate, I experimented with a 120" D screen painted on the wall with ceiling paint, and the result was so satisfactory as to suggest a decent screen of that size would be just fine. So, I ordered a fixed wall 120" D Elite, matte white, 1.1 gain. I'm confident that will be terrific with my parameters. Thanks all, for your replies.