Projector or Panel?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Fosterchild, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Fosterchild

Fosterchild Auditioning

Finally getting ready to build a home theater in my basement. I'm not going with a dedicated theater type room but more of a living room - home theater room.

First question is Panel TV or Projector?

I'll be watching HD TV, playing video games and watching Blur-Rays and regular DVD's. Viewing angle needs to be fairly wide, no windows in the room so lighting is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. CB750

CB750 Screenwriter

Looks like either one will work for you

A friend of mine has both. A projector and screen in his basement works well as a dedicated theater room with seating for watching movies and sporting events. A 52" LCD in his family room for casual viewing of cable programs is better for multi purpose family uses.

The answer my lie in these questions.

1. How large of a screen do you want?
    2. Do you want your lights turned down when the TV is on.
    3. Budget.
    4. What media will you watch most

3. Fosterchild

Fosterchild Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Will be mostly HD TV or HD movies. I only play a couple video games but want those to look really good too.

I think 55"- 60" should be plenty big for the room size. I have a pretty good JVC receiver and (I think) Boston Acoustic speakers (6 piece set).

Because of a small budget I'm leaning towards a 55" Vizio from Sam's.

4. ProjectorPPL1

Hi Fosterchild.

We wrote a guide comparing plasmas, LCD TVs and projectors a few years ago. There are definitely advantages to all display technologies.

That Vizio is a snazzy TV for sure. If you do want to check out projectors, I would recommend the Epson HC 8350, which is one of our newest projectors. It's HD 1080p, capable of projecting up to a 120" image and it's about $50 cheaper than the Vizio. Just some food for thought.

Drop me a line if you have any questions about TVs vs projectors. And no matter what you get, enjoy!