What's new

Projector on $800 budget (1 Viewer)

Eric L.

Grip
Any recommendations? I have $800 in Amazon gift cards and I'm looking for a ceiling mount projector that will be 11 ft from the screen. Currently have a 96" diagonal screen, but have room to go a little larger if I necessary. This is a space in my finished basement that will be dark with the exception of a small lamp from time to time. I bought a BanQ HT1085ST by mistake as I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention to the "ST" or short throw part. Thanks for any advice and opinions on projectors. I have read a little on the Optima HD141X 1080p 3D DLP, BenQ HT2050, and ViewSonic LightStream Pro7827HD, but open to anything. Also, I have no idea how LCD vs DLP looks or if I would even notice.

Previous projector was an InFocus SP5000 that was great for 10 years. Never had an issue or changed the lamp until just recently the power source has gone bad (I think)

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
You might want to check out the LG PF1500 (currently $850 at Amazon).

This is a 1080p native resolution DLP projector with a twist: It has no color wheel. Instead it uses three high-powered red-green-blue LEDs which fire in sequence to energize the DLP chip. So, no worries with convergence (one chip); and no worries with RBE (the LEDs firing in sequence provide the equivalent of a 16X color wheel. Even B&W movies have no issues with RBE.). You have good color fill due to the DLP design, and the LEDs are rated at 30,000 hours so no bulb to change.

To top it off LG has included a digital tuner with Smart TV functionality. It’s really hard to beat for the price!

Only caveat: It does not support 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks