Projector Mount and Drywall Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Torgny Nilsson, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Can someone tell me whether I can attach my projector to my drywall ceiling using molybolts rather than attaching the mount directly to the studs as it says in my mount manual? I don't have studs where I need to install the projector and I don't have an attic that I can access to reinforce the ceiling above the projector.

Has anyone done the same thing? The projector is only 6.8 lbs (plus the weight of the mount) and I assume I will be okay as long as I use molybolts that can hold up to 30 to 50 lbs.

Thanks.

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Yes, you'll be fine using moly's....just make sure you use the appropriate size and depth for your application.

E

3. Darren{Moo}

Darren{Moo} Extra

From the been there, done that department, my advice would be to cut the drywall and install a framing member. Drywall repair cheap....Projector repair expensive.....

YMMV

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Why not build a small mounting plate that will span the distance between two joists. You can lag-screw the plate to the joists and then mount the PJ to the plate. That's what I did.

[​IMG]

It may not look as clean as a direct mount to the drywall, but it's 100x more solid.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Duh...great point Ron...I too did the same thing, built a mounting plate. :b But I guess I was too focused on answering Torgny's question, I missed the obvious! LOL....

6. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I decided to take your collective advice and am building a mounting plate. More work, but more peace of mind as you have mentioned. Thanks for the help.

7. Randy Emery

Randy Emery Auditioning

message deleted

8. Shane Burton

Shane Burton Extra

Drywall is more than sufficient, as long as you use a mounting plate that spreads the load out.

Shane

9. Randy Emery

Randy Emery Auditioning

Yes, the drywall would not particiate structurally

10. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Go to Home Depot and buy at ceiling fan mount. They have ones for new construction and ones for remodeling. You want the one for remodeling, so basically you cut out a small hole in the ceiling and then fit the entire unit up into it. There are expansion nuts on each side that you screw (kind of like a shower rod) to tighten between the studs. Then you can just secure the projector to the ceiling box. They are rated for like 30 pounds or more.

Marc

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Marc, do you know if those mounts are hollow up the center and have a large enough diameter to allow cables up through? Make for a nice clean look if so.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

12. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Hey Ron. They are not big enough for a DVI cable. However, they can be cut faily easily to accomodate several sets of cables. I was thinking of using these myself until I changed my mounting plan. Very easy, especially if you have access above the ceiling.

C. Ryan

13. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ron,

They have nickel size holes (the ones I have used), so like C.Ryan said you probably won't get a DVI cable through it. It would be worth while to take a look and see if they have any with bigger holes, or maybe you could cut enough out for a DVI connector to fit through without loosing structual integrity(sp?).

They are definately easier if you have access to above the ceiling, but it can be done from below also.

Marc

14. CuZ06

CuZ06 Agent

JC
    Use the adaptor plate with dry-wall cutout......