What's new

Projector decision help needed (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why buy that one if your budget handles a better one?Like alluded to in post 2, it isn't a light canon. Will it's brightness work for you?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thoughts on the benq 1070??
It's bright enough, and a very popular, highly rated projector. For a 120" diagonal image, the lens would need to be mounted between 10' and 13' 1" from screen. BUT the lens shift is very limited, so you need to mount it at the proper height.The only negative about the Benq W7000 is it's already more than 2 years old.The next step up would be the Epson 5030, a little over $2,500 though.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
Saying the W7000 is two years old is the same reason to "not buy" the Panny 8000.
Not quite. The Pan. 8000 first came out in Sept. 2012, 16 months ago. I didn't recommend the Pan. 8000 because it's a little on the dim side for him.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
I understand my budget allows for more , but who doesn't like to save a buck. I've been reading a lot of great reviews on it. Is there a calculator out there to figure out the height of the projector?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Post number 5. Use the link, change the projector.The main advantage of the W7000 is you'll be able to flush mount it to your ceiling. It has tons of lens shift, both vertical and horizontal.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
TinmanLU27 said:
I understand my budget allows for more , but who doesn't like to save a buck.
Only if you dont get the bug. If there is one thing I have learned its that you get the best equipment your budget will allow and you get it the first time. To get lesser equipment, simply to save a buck, will ultimately cost you more in the long run. Better equipment from the beginning not only takes longer to justify an upgrade but sometimes much longer, it often holds its value better and longer as well. This applies especially to speakers and displays, processors and sources maybe not so much.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have the Panasonic AE8000, project an image that is 138 inches wide on a painted wall. The image is bright even with the lights on!

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Is there any noticeable RBE on either the mits 7900 or the benq 7000. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to these two, being a rookie at this, I am hoping for some facts to sway me in the right direction. You guys have been helping me out a lot and i do appreciate it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The Mits. should have less chance of rainbows because it has a faster color wheel(6x speed) vs. the W7000's 4x speed. BUT the Mits. 7900 is not bright enough for you.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Might be worth waiting a few weeks, the Benq W7500 is due out very soon, it's got a 6x colour wheel, improved black levels, the same brightness as the W7000 and by all accounts might be a winner, having said that i did read over at another forum that a member prone to rainbows hardly saw any on the W7000, i guess it all depends on the individual though, if you go for it then perhaps buy from a place willing to take a return for a different projector if that one doesn't suit you.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Any idea when the 7500 will be released?? Jim, how many lumens should i be looking for if the 7900 is too dim?? 2000??

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
TinmanLU27 said:
Any idea when the 7500 will be released?? Jim, how many lumens should i be looking for if the 7900 is too dim?? 2000??
I just read a press release about the Benq W7500 at Projectorcentral.com. It says to be released this month. Also, there are 2 review links in the W7500 thread at Avsforum.You can't go by the total lumens listed. You need to go by the foot lamberts listed at Projectorcentral.com under "Calculator Pro". You set your throw distance and screen size for the projector, and it shows you the foot lamberts. The desired minimum is 16.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
If I change the screen to a 1.1 gain it gives me 16fL on a 120". 110" with a 1.1 gain puts me at 20fL. If the price is true on the press release than the w7500 is gonna be out of my price range.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, you are not going with an acoustic screenThe street price on BenQ is always 60-80% of MSRP. When it debuts, the 7000 should be even less.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
I'm trying to keep my options open on everything. I do like the w7000 because of the lens shift and brightness, worried about RBE. I would like to get an acoustic screen, do they only come in 1.0 gain??

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Here is a translated review of the W7500 model.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projectorjunkies.com%2F%3Fp%3D1712

Seems like a good improvement to me, the ability to go into the secret service menu and clamp the iris down to suit your screen size is really appealing, without that feature you would likely need an ND filter, according to the review native contrast is 90% better on this new model, i wonder if it can do triple flash 3D, not that 120hz 3D is bad on these DLP projectors.

Benq really should have the option to close the iris down in the main menu and not a secret one.

The problem i see with buying a new Benq is that they always need firmware to upgrade small issues and you need to ship the projector to Benq to get this done, unlike nearly everyone else in the world Benq won't allow end users to update their own firmware, that's why many like to wait six months or so before buying new Benq projectors.

To go further on the above the sharpness in the W7000 model was poor when first released and there was 3D speed switching issues and it took firmware updates to fix that and users had to send the projector to Benq, highly annoying that, really the company needs to get into the 21st century and allow users to update themselves, i am sure they will lose sales again because of their stance on not allowing users to update themselves, sharpness is mentioned in the above review, i see firmware being needed.

Of course it's possible the USA/UK models come with enhanced firmware fixing these early issues when they come out.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Benq is not the only company that makes you send the projector in for firmware updates. Mitsubishi is another one, and there are probably more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks