What's new

Projector and TV Set Up (1 Viewer)

ddgold

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Goldstein
Hello All,
My friends and I just moved into a new house, which came with a projector mounted on the ceiling in the living room, unfortunately, the only cords running through the wall to the projector is component video. As well, I have a Phillips LCD Tv in the living room. The video sources are a Xbox, ps3, Apple TV, and a time Warner cable box, all with hdmi. The TV has its own built in speakers, but for the time being the only speekers for the projector is a fender amp with RCA inputs.
My question is, is there a cheap, reliable way to convert an hdmi to component video, that I could hot swap and the hdmi input on, and will degrade the video/audio quality terribly?
On a similar note, are there any a/v receivers on the market today that have 4 hdmi in, and can output two distinct videos?
Thanks,
ddgold

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does this projector have DVI?
Very rare to not have DVI as it took 2-3 extra years for HDMI to replace it on projectors. And for that matter, when DVI exists it is the preferred connection anyway.

ddgold

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Goldstein
Thanks for the response. The projector has hdmi, dvi, and component for inputs, but the problem is the only cord that is run from the projector to the electronics cabinet, is a component video cord, red blue green.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dealing with an HDCP stripper is a lot tougher than running an HDMI.
There is always this...(just a sample)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-Wireless-HDMI-Extender-/330814115718?pt=US_Audio_Video_Transmitters&hash=item4d060ecf86

ddgold

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Goldstein
Alright that would work for video, but the other problem is the audio. I figured that a hdmi to component would also allow easy use of the speaker since there would be a plug for red white rca audio.

ddgold

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Goldstein
No I don't, that the point. I want to be able to convert form hdmi to component with red-white audio. I would connect the red-green-blue video into the projector, via a cord that is already run through the wall, and red-white audio to my speakers

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ddgold said:
No I don't, that the point. I want to be able to convert form hdmi to component with red-white audio. I would connect the red-green-blue video into the projector, via a cord that is already run through the wall, and red-white audio to my speakers
^^^ makes zero sense.
Cause of...
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350851947&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+splitter+toslink
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Analog-Converter/dp/B004C4WPXA/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350851972&sr=1-4&keywords=toslink+rca

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And...
"On a similar note, are there any a/v receivers on the market today that have 4 hdmi in, and can output two distinct videos?"
Introduce yourself to...
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-67

ddgold

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Goldstein
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2
This is what I'm looking at, something like this. I was wondering if this kinda of thing would be reliable, and would there be much lose in quality?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was under the assumption you wanted to at least view 1080I/720P...but since you don't...
Go ahead.
And, by the way...
The description says this works to SD. The "tech specs" claim HD.
In other words...with OTA 1080I/720P it will work.
BD and gaming, probably not.

projector101

Auditioning
Real Name
Gail spencer
If ever i get stuck with which cables to choose for conversions i usually tell clients to try maplin electronics they can help with projector faults and even repairs or try www.ninatec.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks