Projection Through Glass Panel

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Darren{Moo}, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Darren{Moo}

Darren{Moo} Extra

I have a Sim2 HT300+ that is mounted inside a projection cabinet. I am wondering if it would be possible to place a piece of clear glass (or any transparent material) over the projection opening in the cabinet without adversely affecting the picture quality. I am interested in doing this to reduce the amount of ambiant noise in the theater room. Any suggestions as to type of glass or material to use, or other thoughts on why this might be a bad idea.

Thanks

2. ryankurte

ryankurte Auditioning

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    as ryan has pointed out...make sure the ventilation is adequate.

also make sure you use an optical grade port glass.

good luck!!

4. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    Projection booth port glass should be mounted at a slight angle to avoid reflections off the lens. Otherwise, light can bounce off the glass, back to the lens, then contaminate the image being projected.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown, President
    CinemaQuest, Inc.
    A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

5. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

There will be very little degradation using plain old glass this way. You can get "water clear" glass at any glass/window store, in whatever size you need. And yes, a slight angle to the glass will help reduce the multiple reflections.

6. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    Here's a link to a source for material specifically engineered for your desired purpose: Optical Coatings | Processes | Water White . I'm assuming that you you have invested thousands of dollars in your system and would rather not incorporate elements that result in even a "very little degradation" when it can be avoided.

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I've seen it done with 0.125" acrylic. The worst part of the "port" in that experience was the extra pair of surfaces that needed to be kept clean.

I'd try and find some plain, flat, borosilicate float-glass. Lighting companies, like Apollo Design ( internetapollo.com ) or Rosco Labs, ( rosco.com/us/index.asp ) and other places that make custom glass "gobos" have access to very thin (1.1mm), very flat borosilicate glass. Plain, dichroic colors are inexpensive; some raw, uncut, uncolored should be relatively cheap.

And again, beware the heat!