What's new

Project Greenlight 2 (2 Viewers)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's 2nd hour was just as entertaining. I love the comments by the producer and exec producer, and also if we were to cast Project Greenlight 2: the movie, I'd go with Jim J. Bullock for Joseph (the casting dude).

Ephram asking for a car was such a dumb thing to do so early in the game.

Anyhow, I'm all caught up, and looking forward to this fun look at how amatuers get a chance to make a film.

Blu

Screenwriter
I don't think I've seen a bigger group of pretentious people in one place before. First these two neutered morons win this thing to make a script won by a writer. She seems like the best one of the group but she allows everyone else and these two producers To keep changing her script around because they don't think the audience will get it. I hate it when these people constantly think that audiences are dumb and need to be Talked down to because they just aren't bright enough to get it.

These two director guys allow everyone else to run roughshod over the production so far and
I don't think have made one decision that matters yet.
The writer should be able to say enough is enough with the tinkering of MY story! You guys selected MY story because of how it was and now I'm altering it in so many ways it
Isn't even the same story anymore and the neutered directors should stick up for her.

The two producer idiots clearly run the show and seem only answerable to Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. The directors wanted to be able to edit the film (which is only right since they shot the footage and should have a idea of how it should be cut together) but the execs said no.
I enjoy the Robert Rodriguez style of filmmaking I guess, he clearly runs his own show start to finish and does a ton of the stuff himself. I like the self reliant people who can do that much better.

This show represents why very good movies are hard to come by today. There is a constant dumbing down of intellegent stories, too many chiefs and not enough indians, and everyone seems to want to involve their own creative vision! Gone with the Wind, Wizard of OZ, It's a Wonderful Life (or any Frank Capra film), Casablanca etc. wouldn't be able to be made in today's Hollywood world.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Actually, if there is anything I got out of this.. it's the opposite of your thoughts, Blu.

What I saw was this:

* A screen writer who does need tinkering with her script.. to take her script in it's state and make it onto a screen is difficult. Every good writer has some tinkering.. it takes time to make it where it is presentable and lots of input doesn't hurt. She is at least good in thinking about changes, and arguing where she does not want change. She at least stands her ground.

* The two directors are utter A-holes. They are absolute fools who seem dedicated to their universal ability. Their demand to edit the film was something I found utterly laughable.. directors, by design, will fall in love with their footage. Given a chance to edit it, they will be hard pressed to make the tough decisions to cut the material down and get a cohesive flow. That's why you need an outside party - even the best directors use an outside editor. While you can use Rodriguez as an example, however, even directors like Hitchcock used outside editors.. yes, there are some who do both, but it's a small group, not nearly all. And no way any major studio will hand that to first timers. BTW, "Wizard of Oz" went through several casting re-dos, as well as a re-write, and had an after editor (Sewell) as well as a full production.. so, it's hard to say that the studio asking for those things on this film.. a much smaller film.. is something that would have prevented those earlier works.

* Asking for a car was idiotic.

* When they ran off the director of photography with a bickering response, I thought to myself: these people are doomed.

* When they asked why they couldn't do props and scenery, I realized maybe they were insane.

* In the preview for next week, when one of the directors says to the writer "maybe -WE- should do a re-write and turn it in to you" I thought: "OK, these guys have no idea how to work in a team or with others.. this could be fun to watch.. in the same sense watching a train wreck is fun to watch"

I wonder, considering one of the other directors and screenplays were picked up, if in fact, Miramax took the real talent out of the Greenlight project to just get something that's entertaining TV instead of a quality end product so that the DVD sell through on the series is good..

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The producers are doing what they are doing because the two directors have absolutely no take charge attitude. They are so silent that it seems other people have to feel like they have to take charge.

And I agreed with the jeep breaking thing. That would remind me of TBS movies. The feeling of everything in the world is going wrong and now the car breaks down, I bet you could even add in some rain so you get soaked when walking to a gas station, maybe even a bird can crap on your head. The writer herself said it's good to have other minds come in to work on material (editors) because you might miss the problems because you are so used to it, but then when someone tries to change things, she get's mad. I could see writers always getting pissed off because they think it's perfect in their eye, but to everyone else little things could always need to be changed.

Incomming trainwreck. 1 week and no cast. Looks like the directors finally come to life in the next episode.

These two guys are just too used to doing everything for their little "home movies" in Maine. They need to realize they are a cog in a greater system.

And maybe Miramax wanted a hilarious show with idiots at the helm (directors). Sure will be entertaining. Can't wait to see how these guys are when it actually starts filming.

Oh, I had histarics at some of the actors these guys thought they could get. Loved how the casting director was just laughing.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking.. it would be funny to have say, Kevin Smith come in.. and say:

"You know, I did the indie thing too.. I made Clerks out of my pocket. It's so great you guys won a contest and get to make a movie with money. So, WTF is up with this demanding a car?"

The moment they said "Oh, we can get Liv.." I about did a spit take.. I was thinking.. sure, sure.. she'll go straight from, say, LOTR, Armageddon, you know, a few blockbusters with a couple million her way, to doing your low budget, first time event. If I were them, I'd be trying to get TV Actors who are NEW or on the OUTS who deserve a second chance *laugh* (because you can afford them)

I'm waiting for them to produce:

"And God Spoke..."

Howie A

Second Unit
One thing I am unsure of is, why the original Sunday broadcast is an hour long show
and then the ones that (I thought) re-play during the week are only a 1/2 hour?

Is it just a extremely edited version of Sunday?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Last night was an hour's worth of show, perhaps it was two 30 minute episodes back-to-back like last week's debut.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I have to admit it is entertaining to see how lackadaisical these two directors seem to be. They are acting like their job doesn't start until the shooting begins. I think they are going to be a little freaked out when they realize they aren't making videos in Maine anymore.

"Do we have to hire a production designer?" :laugh:

Those video letters to the stars they wanted to cast were also cringe-inducing.

Paul Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Well, being in the UK, I haven't had the opportunity to see this yet. Although presumably like PG1 we'll get it eventually.

What I have done is downloaded the winning script - which I just read last night. So I can comment on that.

It is a good script but it definitely needs work. I found my interest really only kicked in about 30-40 pages in - which I think is a little late. Also, without giving away any plot spoilers - there's an issue about balancing how much time you give to specific relationships, so that the plot motivations are plausible and the action is emotionally satisfying.

I thought the main character was very well-drawn and that's the strongest thing about the script. But that's going to be a challenge for casting - this film will hinge on a really good performance for Kelly even more than Stolen Summer needed the two kids to be good. IMHO of course :)

I was thinking you'd need someone like a young John Cusack. But that's probably because the material itself reminds me a little of those 80s teen romcoms he used to do. You know the ones that are slightly more intelligent than just fluff but only just. Kinda guilty pleasures like The Sure Thing or Say Anything.

There's humour in it but I think it could use a little more - especially at the beginning. There's one set-piece which I doubt is as funny as they think it is.

But honestly I think there's a really good movie in there somewhere.

Sadly from the sound of it, it may not have a chance to come out.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, as a spoiler, the casting is (YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Shia LaBeouf .... Kelly Enswiler (Even Stevens)
Elden Henson .... Bart Bowland
Amy Smart .... Tabby Bowland
Kathleen Quinlan .... Eve Enswiler
William Sadler .... Abe Ernsweiler
Shiri Appleby .... Sarah
Ray Wise .... Harrison Bowland
Anson Mount .... Miner Weber

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0357470

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I don't recognize any of those except amy smart

(Admin note - spoiler added, please use them in the future if discussing the cast, until it's been revealed on the show).

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If you put the roles next to them I would. But I never pay attention to credits and never know the names of most of the supporting cast.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
"We don't like it when people talk over us."
"Do we really need a production designer?"
"We've edited all our movies ourselves."
"How about WE do a re-write for you?"
"I need a car."

:laugh: These guys are gonna get eaten alive in the industry.

This show rocks.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
It's almost like an episode of Seinfeld:

"Did the cinematographer just talk over us?"
"Yes, I think he did."
"Should we say something?"
"I don't know."
"I think we should say something."
"Yeah, sure we should. I mean, what if this interferes with shooting?"
"Yeah, I think we should say something. I mean, it would be stupid not to say something, right?"

and later:

"The cinematographer quit."
"Why would he do that?"
"Well, apparently, the directors asked him why he talked over them too much."
"What are they, idiots? Why would they do that?"
"I don't know. I mean, he couldn't tell they were being folksy?"
"Totally folksy."

:) Just something I thought of in the car yesterday. And in Florida traffic, to think of anything is usually a minor miracle.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Scott, -that- was a good observation.. I'm already seeing efrome as George Castanza..

"If she's got a car I should get a car"
"OK"
"That's what I'm going to do, I'm going to ask for a car"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This season might have needed to be re-titled:

Project Redlight

I would die if Larry David somehow showed up on this "show" but he's on HBO, so that's probably out of the realm of possibility.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I just imagine that we are not seeing the "good" side. When I read Pete Jones commentary on PG1, he said that the show in now way reflected what went on during the production.

Hopefully, these guys have done some things right. I guess we'll see when it comes time for them to start shooting.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
These guys are fruitcakes!

Jeff Balis is a retarted frat boy jerkoff with a cool job and absolutly no command of the room.

The writer at least speaks up for herself AND ACTUALLY DOES WORK. Do the idiot twins realise that while they spend thier entire day 'taking meetings' the writer is MISSING VALUABLE TIME WRITING in order to attend the same meetings?

I dont care how much you want her to read for the part, I would have used my time with Sharon Lawrence to try to hit on her.

Whats with the idiot twins refusing to consider the kid from "...Alter Boys" but desperatly wanting MICKEY ROURKE and KIM CATTRELL!?!

If I see one more quick shot of JLo I will personnaly casterate Ben Affleck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks