What's new

Progressive Scan worse than Interlaced (1 Viewer)

Enrique Pasos

Auditioning
Ok. I have a problem. I bought a Samsung P421 DVD player and hooked it up to my HDTV (Panasonic 47WX49) via Component connections.
The problem is that when I watch any DVD, using Interlaced 480i mode gives a better picture than when I switch the DVD to Progressive 480p.
This doesn't makes sense to me. I was expecting the opposite to be true and the manual states it should be.
When using progressive mode there is a noticeable amount of "distortion" in the color of objects. I'm not sure that explains it properly, but I don't know the terminology well.
The effect on my TV when I'm using 480p is very similar to the effect I used to get on my old computer when trying to play a game that required a higher end graphics card.
Another way to describe it is that the color in an object does not "blend" well and you can see obvious shades and pixels of color in the object. It only happens when using 480p, not 480i.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about??
:angry:

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
HMMM, that is strange.I just got a JVC progressive player,and it made a big difference from my old one's.My Tv is also JVC so that probobly helps,same company ,ETC.BUT.....it does mention in the manual that the player "may"do strange things on some brands of TV's.Maybe you are runing into somthing simalar??Some kind of hardware conflict??

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Couple of things. What make are the cables? Do you have the cables hooked up correctly? Are they directional cables? Do you have to set something on the player to get Progressive? If no of this works I would take the player back and test it at the store.

Kevin

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Everything Kevin said...except...the directionality of the cables has nothing to do with your problem. The signal travels along wire, period. It doesn't march in only one direction.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you have progressive scan switched on the actual DVD player? That sounds like it could be the problem, double check that.

Enrique Pasos

Auditioning
You might laugh at me, but I used the component cables that I use for my Xbox. I figured they would work since the cables are supposed to be High Definition cables.

Maybe that's the problem.(?)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
but I used the component cables that I use for my Xbox
If the cable are anything like the cables that come with most hardware when you bought it, then thats your problem. I just can't handle the bandwidth of progressive mode. Checkout AR Pro series I/II or Master(silver)series cables.

Kevin

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Directional cables -- One kind has the shield attached to only one of the plug shells instead of both. The purpose is to prevent ground loop problems, but other problems with a similar appearance can occur if the cable is not connected according to the instructions.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Enrique,
I had the same problem with the panasonic 47WX49 and a JVC DVD player. It turned out is a very common problem on that TV's model early production. The distortion you are discribing is know as "snow". I know of several cases of this by doing research on the web. So I took it to a authorized service center and had the TV replaced, and the problem is gone. By any change the production date of your TV is july '01? All of the cases I know are from that production date. Try contacting panasonic, they should have a lot of information on this problem by now. Also you could try checking out this site, you will find a lot of information about this: www.panny.tv
Hope that helps!!!
Hugo

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
I have a similar question. I have a DVD that is acting up and was thinking of replacing it with a progressive scan unit. It outputs to an XGA-LCD projector. Is it wothwhile to use a progressive scan model, or will I see no extra image quality

HankB

Stunt Coordinator
I recently replaced an old Toshiba DVD player with a Panasonic RP-82. The different on new movies was amazing. When I was playing ST:AOtC on the new DVD, my wife came in and said, "Wow, what did you do?" If thats not a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is :)
BTW, my projector is the Sanyo XW15 which is also a XGA projector.

Scott,

I also recently replaced a regular DVD player with a Progressive Scan DVD player with terrific results. I didn't even buy a very expensive progressive scan player: It's a Philips DVD793CH 5-disk changer ($179 at Best Buy, but my son works there so it was a lot less for me).

Therefore, I highly recommend that you upgrade to a progessive scan player. I think you would be very happy you did.

Michael

Enrique Pasos

Auditioning
Well, I thought I would bring some closure to this crazy problem.

It took months, but it's finally fixed. I can now watch DVD's in Progressive Scan mode!!

The problem, it turns out, was a bad DH Board. I called Panasonic in December and it took a couple of visits but the tech finally figured it out.

The part was ordered and it just got put in today. Oh what an amazing thing.

Enrique.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks