What's new

Progressive scan verses DVI (1 Viewer)

Jay Tee

Auditioning
Looking into DVI, I recently tried a quality DVD recorder with a DVI output. I would like any input to my comments relative to the feasibility of my findings. Progressive scan is not available to a DVI output, so which is supposedly better, DVI or component with progressive scan? Also, progressive scan did not seem to be available to a PAL DVD. When the progressive scan button was hit when the DVD player was set to PAL the DVD player would shift to NTSC mode to apply progressive scan to the PAL DVD. Also, when a PAL DVD, which is supposed to be 60 Hz, was playing my HDTV screen displayed 50 Hz. Isn't that inconsistent? Also when using a receiver, I think DVI is much better than HDMI because I can send the video signal directly to the HDTV and the audio signal directly to the receiver for distribution. I am after the best possible overall picture on my good quality 50 inch HD plasma screen. So what is best, HDMI, DVI, VGA, component, component with progressive scan, PAL or NTSC. Same question given a home recorded DVD off of paid television programming whose decoder box only has analog audio and S-VHS video. My receiver has Neo-6 and that audio setting truly does remarkable things with the sound I get on the recorded DVDs via RCA analog connections. Surely I am not the only one with these concerns.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Different players handle all this differently.

Progressive scan is absolutely availble on every DVI player I have ever seen.

Some don't send 480p out though. But the de-interlacer creats the 480p and then the video is upconverted by the scaler in the player.

The PAL quastion is interesting, I have not come across two players that handle PAL titles the same. If your getting 50hz on your PAL at your display, I would think that mode would be called pass through, and in that case Progressive scan is not available.

BrianGB

Auditioning
I noticed the problem being not so much the DVD players not sending the right signal out, as the TVs not accepting it as HDTV. Read the manual on your TV, some are very weird. You can have four composites but only one works with 480 progressive, and it was three.. hmm... so check if in doubt

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As these are clearly not "Basics" questions, I have moved this to Audio/Video Sources.

It might help if you identified the make and model of your DVD player.

M.

Jay Tee

Auditioning
[It might help if you identified the make and model of your DVD player.]

The combination that prompted these concerns was a DVD Samsung HD937 with DVI cable with a HDMI conversion connector to insert into the HDMI input on a LG 50-inch Plasma. The receiver is a Marantz SR6300 located in a rectangular room filled with good quality Polk speakers.

Jay Tee

Auditioning
[It might help if you identified the make and model of your DVD player.]

The combination that prompted these concerns was a DVD Samsung HD937 with DVI cable with a HDMI conversion connector to insert into the HDMI input on a LG 50-inch Plasma. The receiver is a Marantz SR6300 located in a rectangular room filled with good quality Polk speakers. Please note I am located in Australia where all commerical broadcast television is PAL and all commerical DVDs are region 4 PAL but most, if not all, DVD and TV hardware has a selector to choose between either PAL or NTSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks