What's new

Progressive Scan in different view modes... (1 Viewer)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Hey guys,
I really haven't jumped into the HDTV market yet (being a poor college student has somethin' to do with it), so please forgive my ignorance. But I heard that almost, if not all widescreen HDTVs will stretch a progressive scan signal to fill the screen. In other words, for 16x9 material, this is no biggie. But for 4x3 material such as certain tv shows or certain video games, it will stretch and be distorted. Are there any tvs that will let you change the view modes even in progressive scan?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Darren,

What you're referring to is the "locks in full when fed progressive scan" syndrome. In olden times, like 3 years ago and older, there were a large number of 16/9 sets on which the various stretch/zoom modes would not work if they were fed 480p. This is no longer the case.

Virtually all 16/9 sets currently on the market will stretch/zoom a 480p signal, I can't think of a single mainstream mfg whose sets won't do this.

HD scanrates are a different matter. Virtually all current sets still lock into full mode when fed 1080i or 720p.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Darren,

Just to be sure, when you've picked out some likely candidates it would be a good idea to post again inquiring as to whether or not the particular model numbers you're considering have the lock in full with 480p problem. Some plasmas still have this characteristic, but most all crt and rptv sets don't.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Don't worry Allan. For that much money, it better do everything I want it too, plus more! Thanks for the link.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panasonic PT-47WX53, and while it locks into Full mode on 1080i HD material, it does allow you to choose among Full, 4:3, and Zoom on normal progressive scan material. The only option lacking in that mode is Just, which performs a combination of cropping and stretching to create a more normal-looking 16x9 picture from a 4x3 source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks